Rams got lucky winning the Superbowl

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean hats off to them still they got the ring, but their team didn't really look unbeatable and looked like any other good team this year. 49ers should have beat them in the NFC Championship and the Bengals got a terrible call against them that would have made it 4th and goal from the 10 on their final drive. A few things went there way and that's why their Superbowl Champs.

The trades helped make them better but they got lucky.

Not a conspiracy theorist but it felt like the NFL wanted the Rams to go far this year so that they could succeed in Los Angeles.

Those who think that is the model to follow in order to win a Championship are mistaken.
And earlier in the game the Rams were the victim of a terrible no call that gifted the Bengals a long TD instead of the 15 yard penalty they deserved.

That's they way football goes. It's not as if questionable calls don't happen all the time, so let's not act as if this was some unusual moment that happened to fall the Rams way.

And, at the end of the day, they won games. Teams don't get through the entirety of the playoffs and win the Super Bowl on pure luck.

What I will agree with is they didn't look like an unbeatable team, but that's not a requirement for being the Super Bowl winner. The requirement is just beating the teams you face in the playoffs whether the win is pretty or dominant or not. The Rams did that, therefor they deserve full credit for the victory.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The team that blew it, imo, was the Bills.

Just squib kick to the Chiefs and they almost surely win.
They'd have been a very tough matchup for Cincy

kevm3

Reaction score
The number of 'storybook endings' tells you something is going on. Tampa Bay plays and wins a superbowl in their home stadium and Brady gets 7. Rams have a new stadium, have a halftime show with Snoop and Dre, have a prominent QB on his way out of the league... what better way to create a storybook ending than have the Rams win. The Saints win after Katrina. The Ravens win as Ray Lewis Retires. The Steelers win as Jerome Bettis retires. Broncos win as Peyton retires.

I bet you if LA didn't back off the covid restrictions and the super bowl was to be played in Dallas, a lot of those penalties disappear and there's a high likelihood that we end up playing in the super bowl.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Every team gets a little lucky when winning Super Bowl. Lucky thing Neil O'Donnell threw that ball right to Larry Brown or Dallas might not win.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Every team gets a little lucky when winning Super Bowl. Lucky thing Neil O'Donnell threw that ball right to Larry Brown or Dallas might not win.

Dallas blitzed and O'Donnell threw to the hot rout but WR took off giving Brown an easy int but it was the pressure being brought so I would say part of that is making your own luck

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
And build some strong trenches. That's the difference maker. Both teams were there due mostly to their DLines.
yes, the difference was literally the Rams DL and the Bengals OL. second year in a row a team with a weaker OL loses superbowl. outside of that one big play to start the 3rd quarter (which should have been offensive penalty), the bengals didn't do much in the second half and Burrow was sacked pressured the whole second half

Portnoy1

Reaction score
The only thing the Rams got lucky with was facing the Bengals who no one expected to reach the Super Bowl when the playoffs started. It may take another 30 years for the Bengals to get back to the Super Bowl.
Whats scary is Joe B was able to get the team that far with a trash line. There defense which was middle of the pack during the regular season rose up during the playoffs for sure though. Imagine if they actually give him a line?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think the Bills beat the Bengals.
Yea, the Bills were my pick in AFC. They really messed up with 13 seconds left.

And would have had much better shot at knocking off Rams.

I think I might pick Bills again next year. Like their defense and Allen. He’s a stud !

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It may not be "the model" but I've seen enough of the Jerry & Stephen Show to know that model isn't winning anything.
The thing is it’s more of a model than it was 2 years ago.

The key is a team that close needs a greater QB and what Tampa and LA did. The other pieces helped too of course .

It’s hard to say what a more proven , closer to Elite QB could do here.

Motorola

Reaction score
The Ram own the most dominate defender in the league in Aaron Donald, they have a veteran QB tossing the ball to the number one offensive threat in the NFL in Cooper Kupp, nothing lucky about it.
Stafford gave away a TD forcing that pass in the endzone- LA could have been up 20 - 10 in the 2nd qtr. Then the INT in the 3rd qtr after CIN scored the go ahead TD.
I

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
They did what they had to do and go the Chip. There are points in almost every Superbowl team's run where some form of luck resulted.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stafford gave away a TD forcing that pass in the endzone- LA could have been up 20 - 10 in the 2nd qtr. Then the INT in the 3rd qtr after CIN scored the go ahead TD.
I
How did Stafford give away a TD on 3rd and 14 and throw a bomb into the endzone?
He gave away ZERO on that play except maybe some momentum.
It was basically a punt.

The int later was a tipped pass from a rookie, subbing for inured OBJ, who did not complete his route.

The Bengal did end up getting 3 points there

So
Combined ints = -3
Combined TD passes = +21 pts