Rams got lucky winning the Superbowl

Motorola

Reaction score
How did Stafford give away a TD on 3rd and 14 and throw a bomb into the endzone.
He gave away ZERO on that play except maybe some momentum.
It was basically a punt.

The int later was stopped pass from a rookie, subbing for inured OBJ, who did not complete his route.

The Bengal did end up getting 3 points there

So
combined ints = -3
Combined TD passes = +21 pts
My error in stating it was a play within the redzone.
However - more than two minutes left in the qtr. Rams have 2-minute warning stoppage (don't remember how many timeouts they had left).
3rd & 14...why not try to pick up the yardage with 3rd AND 4th down - instead of trying to pick it up on a long pass into the endzone?

blueblood70

Reaction score
I mean hats off to them still they got the ring, but their team didn't really look unbeatable and looked like any other good team this year. 49ers should have beat them in the NFC Championship and the Bengals got a terrible call against them that would have made it 4th and goal from the 10 on their final drive. A few things went there way and that's why their Superbowl Champs.

The trades helped make them better but they got lucky.

Not a conspiracy theorist but it felt like the NFL wanted the Rams to go far this year so that they could succeed in Los Angeles.

Those who think that is the model to follow in order to win a Championship are mistaken.
guess you missed the non call for a td on reamseys? so luck Nah but you do need little luck to win it all.. the rams would not have needed that last score had the refs completely ignored that facemask on Ramsey i mean it was blatant it WAS an OPI it was not a td and that was big play. we can go on for days

if that was one of our WRs he would have seen 6 yellows and red flag to make point lmao..remember that Graze on ramseys by gallup that took away a 40yard play, i mean TY refs. a monkey could call better games. Sorry to the monkeys in advance..

DFWJC

Reaction score
My error in stating it was a play within the redzone.
However - more than two minutes left in the qtr. Rams have 2-minute warning stoppage (don't remember how many timeouts they had left).
3rd & 14...why not try to pick up the yardage with 3rd AND 4th down - instead of trying to pick it up on a long pass into the endzone?
I agree.
I think they were around the 45 or so of Cincy.
Not 100% sure they would've punted on 4th, but they were struggling on that drive so I lean toward thinking they would've punted vs going for it and not making it....and giving Cincy the short field

who knows

Rams fans tell me thought he caught them in a penalty and had a free play....which was why he was so ticked when it turned out that there was not.
But I don't know.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I mean hats off to them still they got the ring, but their team didn't really look unbeatable and looked like any other good team this year. 49ers should have beat them in the NFC Championship and the Bengals got a terrible call against them that would have made it 4th and goal from the 10 on their final drive. A few things went there way and that's why their Superbowl Champs.

Not a conspiracy theorist but it felt like the NFL wanted the Rams to go far this year so that they could succeed in Los Angeles.

Those who think that is the model to follow in order to win a Championship are mistaken.
Plus the 4th down play the bengals had at the end.. donald was way over the line. He should have been flagged and a free 5 yards and actually a free play. Could have taken a shot at the endzone..

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Whats scary is Joe B was able to get the team that far with a trash line. There defense which was middle of the pack during the regular season rose up during the playoffs for sure though. Imagine if they actually give him a line?

Burrow was lucky to get his team that far with that OL. It’s going to take time to build their OL and they’re going to have a tough time getting past Kansas City and Buffalo again. KC had Cincy down by 18 points. Don’t know how they blew that game.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a saying about luck in business. "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

They worked it and the Cowboys did not. The Bengals worked it and addressed that defense.

The Cowboys announced it is done and ready when the season started, the Rams did not and kept working it. They earned their luck. And the Cowboys got just what they deserved, bounced out in round 1 and were lucky to play in the East.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score

So you’re going to ignore the fact that they lost OBJ and basically had the WORSE non-call/call of the game go against them when the Bengals got a TD on a blatant penalty. You also ignore that before the actual legit call you spoke of that the Rams has a TD called back on a weak O holding where Kupp got tackled and hit in the face to make it off setting. This has agenda written all over it. The win the games they had to against legit teams and we didn’t. That’s the name of the game

fivetwos

Reaction score
Interestingly enough, that game was similar to the last time the Bengals were in a SB. Two unimpressive teams, and Joe Monana leading a long last drive to score a TD for the win.

I'm not seeing the luck however. On the bad call, it was only bad because they weren't calling it all game. But it was the right call. In the 2nd down play before that, the RB was clearly held over of the middle preventing that pass. They didn't call it.

If anyone was lucky it was the Bengals for staying in the game. They should have been blown out. They got 2 interceptions, a free TD, and still couldn't win.
I guess you're talking about the 88 season as far as meh teams.

Yep probably true.....

But more so when they met in 81.

Dallas and San Diego were the best teams in the league that year. Circumstance hurt each.

Really need those small breaks as well as being really good.

BermyStar

Reaction score
You could paint a narrative for "luck" for every Superbowl champ, every year. There is a lot that goes in to winning it all and a bit of luck certainly goes a long way.

kskboys

Reaction score
Burrow was lucky to get his team that far with that OL. It’s going to take time to build their OL and they’re going to have a tough time getting past Kansas City and Buffalo again. KC had Cincy down by 18 points. Don’t know how they blew that game.
I do. Dominant DLine.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Yes they got a little bit of luck, so did the bengals getting there. Thats why our teams is so frustrating...... because just making the playoffs doesn't guarantee anything. You could be the most dominant teams ever the ball bounces the wrong way one round your eliminated.

But.... the good teams put themselves in position every year to win. The more times you go to the playoffs the more chances you have to luck into a SB win.

Every time we go to the playoffs its like the entire weight of the franchise is on our shoulders, because we aren't consistent.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes they got a little bit of luck, so did the bengals getting there. Thats why our teams is so frustrating...... because just making the playoffs doesn't guarantee anything. You could be the most dominant teams ever the ball bounces the wrong way one round your eliminated.

But.... the good teams put themselves in position every year to win. The more times you go to the playoffs the more chances you have to luck into a SB win.

Every time we go to the playoffs its like the entire weight of the franchise is on our shoulders, because we aren't consistent.
And lose because we cant' stop the run.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

most teams that win SB are lucky in the game and in other
various ways, it is part of what a team needs to do it, have good luck. Helmet catch int at goal line etc etc

Most teams are beatable lol, jags beat buffalo, denver dominated cowboys etc. it is a any given day thing.

To win SB you have to play great that day, sounds easy but it isnt.

I thought both teams were very good, not perfect , but both defenses played pretty good for most of game, then bengals defense played poorly in 4th, while
rams def got better.
Bengals off was hurt by play calling which got worse in the 4th.
Why mixon wasnt in late in game is a mystery, and you cant have burrows dropping back every frikking play with a dl like the rams had.
At one point they ran 18+ plays in a row all passes.:confused:

Someone needs to send the bengal hc oc a paper explaining the concept of balance and surprise.:D
At times they looked good, but too often they looked like the cowboys!:eek:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Most games have some form of luck. Don't take away the fact the rams paid the right guys big money and used their draft capital to bring in really good players. Guys on both sides of the ball stepped up and won the SB.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There is a saying about luck in business. "The harder I work, the luckier I get".

They worked it and the Cowboys did not. The Bengals worked it and addressed that defense.

The Cowboys announced it is done and ready when the season started, the Rams did not and kept working it. They earned their luck. And the Cowboys got just what they deserved, bounced out in round 1 and were lucky to play in the East.

"I can't get over what we did in the playoffs." - Jerry

They did what they had done all season - beat up bad teams and lose to good ones:

11 wins, 0 losses: NFC East, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Patriots, Vikings (2 playoff teams, 0 playoff wins)
1 win, 6 losses: AFC West, Cardinals, Bucs, Niners (5 playoff teams, 5 playoff wins)

That he's shocked speaks to delusion, so I'm not expecting big moves this offseason.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
You can use this logic for most SB winners. What happens last year if Mahomes doesn’t have historically bad line injuries? What happens in 2018 if the ref doesn’t throw a flag on NO in the NFCCG? What happens in 2017 if Belichick doesnt bench his best corner, what happen in 2016 if Atlanta just ran the ball?

terra

Reaction score
Look how close they came. Even moderate improvement on that line and they probably win. With the amount of cap space they have, there is no reason at all that they cannot improve that line significantly in the off season.

terra

Reaction score
You can use this logic for most SB winners. What happens last year if Mahomes doesn’t have historically bad line injuries? What happens in 2018 if the ref doesn’t throw a flag on NO in the NFCCG? What happens in 2017 if Belichick doesnt bench his best corner, what happen in 2016 if Atlanta just ran the ball?
What happens if Carrol does not have an ego moment and runs Lynch instead of throwing the ball in the SB?

NotForLong

Reaction score

No Conspiracy . . . the confetti at the Super Bowl was Yellow and Blue