Ezekiel Elliott remaining contract

2020 $10.9M cap hit $25.8M dead money

2021 $13.7M cap hit $14.9M dead money

2022 $16.5M cap hit $10.8M dead money

2023 $15M cap hit $6.7M dead money

2024 $12.6M cap hit $2.6M dead money

2025 $15.4M cap hit $0 dead money

2026 $16.6M cap hit $0 dead money

So the earliest Dallas gets out from under Elliott's contract is after the 2022 season.

The thing to keep in mind is that Elliott was given a new contract extension based upon wanting to be paid more than Todd Gurley.....who was just released 2 years into his extension.

Also keep in mind that Dak wants a new contract that exceeds that of Jared Goff....who everyone agrees was given an asinine contract.

So by following what other teams did Jerry is putting this team in future cap hell.

blueblood70

Reaction score
One hell of a cap hit to release him and makes a statement about overpaying running backs these days.

According to Schefter, the team spent weeks trying to trade him and cut the running back before they would’ve had to pay him $10.5 million at 4 p.m. EST today. Gurley signed a 4 year, $60 million contract extension with the Rams on July 24, 2018.

By releasing Gurley before June 1, the Rams would have $20.15 million in dead money, according to overthecap.com. But the Rams would save about $10 million over the next two years if he was not on the roster.

no it doesnt make any statement , he had a BUM knee and they stupidly signed him,, lets get off the zeke deal already, im sick of it..Zekes not Gurley , hes never missed a game over injury..he beyond durable and still productive

whats this says is the RAMs have made many stupid trades, extensions, and cuts..they tried real hard to go all in, lucked into a sb by default over bad call..

this makes statement that those that want the DC FO to be First day super aggressive FA hogs and also make splash trades etc. , are way off base because this is what happens when you go all in for one year and make mistakes in signings..Be smarter and Zeke deal was not bad one, he wont be cut 2 seaosn in his deal..

DCwarrior

Reaction score
Any team paying Dion Lewis that much money deserves what they get. He is very average and can be replaced mid draft.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
What game were you watching? I thought the backup looked more like Jing Riggins then Gurley looked like Dickerson.

The backup had 123 yards on 23 carries. Gurley had 115 yards on 16 carries. They both were impressive and got off. If they featured Gurley more, he probably could've finished with 250 himself. That's how badly their run game dominated the Cowboys defense.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
no it doesnt make any statement , he had a BUM knee and they stupidly signed him,, lets get off the zeke deal already, im sick of it..Zekes not Gurley , hes never missed a game over injury..he beyond durable and still productive

whats this says is the RAMs have made many stupid trades, extensions, and cuts..they tried real hard to go all in, lucked into a sb by default over bad call..

this makes statement that those that want the DC FO to be First day super aggressive FA hogs and also make splash trades etc. , are way off base because this is what happens when you go all in for one year and make mistakes in signings..Be smarter and Zeke deal was not bad one, he wont be cut 2 seaosn in his deal..

What it says it that nobody should be looking at the Rams and using it as reasoning why any responsible team should follow suit. Nobody should be using the contracts given by the Rams as justification for why any player should be paid anything. Sick or not, the guys who say we shouldn't have paid Zeke are right. I don't think it was a horrible deal but that doesn't mean they are wrong IMO.

Praxit

Reaction score
....lol.. Rams had a good 2 yr run streak of quality ball. Now back to the drawing board.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Yeah hes not the same back. You could argue Zeke isn't either, but I still have hope he can find that rookie year explosiveness.

Zeke’s decline won’t be as fast as Gurley’s. That being said, I wouldn’t have given Zeke that contract...nor any RB for that matter

Reactions: CWR

ESisback

Reaction score
Where did I say they were stupid? The fans are stupid.

You didn’t. Apologies. I was generalizing, based on all the negativity after every transaction. You know, those people that are always saying we’re the NFL’s “laughingstock”.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You didn’t. Apologies. I was generalizing, based on all the negativity after every transaction. You know, those people that are always saying we’re the NFL’s “laughingstock”.

Fans on this board say a lot of ridiculous things. They compare us with the Browns like there’s actually a comparison. They’ll tell you our best players suck.

ESisback

Reaction score
Fans on this board say a lot of ridiculous things. They compare us with the Browns like there’s actually a comparison. They’ll tell you our best players suck.
Yep!

of course, there are ALSO a ton of GREAT fans here!

blueblood70

Reaction score
What it says it that nobody should be looking at the Rams and using it as reasoning why any responsible team should follow suit. Nobody should be using the contracts given by the Rams as justification for why any player should be paid anything. Sick or not, the guys who say we shouldn't have paid Zeke are right. I don't think it was a horrible deal but that doesn't mean they are wrong IMO.
My opinion is zeke was worth it looking at what Dak, Tank, Coop got and sandwiched close to what Jsmith and other like LC got that are larger % of the cap, Damn phucking right Zeke deserves that , RBs dont have as long of careers and hes given us 4 pretty damn great years in a row and has plenty left in the tank..

it does matter if a player is durable and injury free vs injury prone.. the rams have been stupid across the board.. I dont believe its was bad at all, sure would have been nice to be around 11-12 but it was team friendly in structure and Zeke derives 13-15 for his past and future survive and he will earn it.. if Coop tank and Dak can get 20 Daks just as big an asset..you wont convince me other wise and its too late Jones's agreed..

ewe can revisit in 3 years and reevaluate but as of now , its fine..

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
My opinion is zeke was worth it looking at what Dak, Tank, Coop got and sandwiched close to what Jsmith and other like LC got that are larger % of the cap, Damn phucking right Zeke deserves that , RBs dont have as long of careers and hes given us 4 pretty damn great years in a row and has plenty left in the tank..

it does matter if a player is durable and injury free vs injury prone.. the rams have been stupid across the board.. I dont believe its was bad at all, sure would have been nice to be around 11-12 but it was team friendly in structure and Zeke derives 13-15 for his past and future survive and he will earn it.. if Coop tank and Dak can get 20 Daks just as big an asset..you wont convince me other wise and its too late Jones's agreed..

ewe can revisit in 3 years and reevaluate but as of now , its fine..

I will tell you this right now. You may want to think seriously about changing your post. It is against the rules of the board to circumvent the language filter and the language is also against board rules. This post will get you benched.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/cowboyszone-forum-rules.239487/

#4 - You will not include profanity or non-family friendly language in your posts.
#13 - You will not circumvent the language filter.

Up to you.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yep!

of course, there are ALSO a ton of GREAT fans here!

All the fans who come here are passionate about the team, it’s just that some don’t have a clue about football. It seems like those are the ones that start most of the threads.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
One hell of a cap hit to release him and makes a statement about overpaying running backs these days.

According to Schefter, the team spent weeks trying to trade him and cut the running back before they would’ve had to pay him $10.5 million at 4 p.m. EST today. Gurley signed a 4 year, $60 million contract extension with the Rams on July 24, 2018.

By releasing Gurley before June 1, the Rams would have $20.15 million in dead money, according to overthecap.com. But the Rams would save about $10 million over the next two years if he was not on the roster.

Just think. The Houston Texans didn't have to trade away Hopkins for David Johnson. They could have just signed Gurley if they waited a few days.