Twitter: Randall Cobb's future in Dallas

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You had three receivers with over 3k yards of passing. How in the hell is that just settling or conservative? They played great this year.
Sure. And it still has a ton of room to get better, b/c Witten and Cobb are bad players.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You can have a dozen #1 WR's and it won't matter until we fix the D.
D isn't the problem. They lost 3 games in which the opponents scored a TOTAL of 2 touchdowns. Offense is even decent in those games, Dallas finishes with 11 wins.

Defense is only the problem if you think trying to win games 20-16 is smart football in 2020.

conner01

Reaction score
Can win with what they have, if healthy. That's settling and conservative - a Jason Garrett approach. Passing offense should be the top priority for every team in the league.

Replace "can win with" to "will win because of" and "if healthy" to "always."
The realistic options we have to fix the offense and defense are better at keeping some on offense to me
If you let cooper walk then one of your top 2 picks will be WR and let’s assume you hit on him then you are just even
Keep cooper and guys like looney and maybe even Cobb
Fix the defense with the draft

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The realistic options we have to fix the offense and defense are better at keeping some on offense to me
If you let cooper walk then one of your top 2 picks will be WR and let’s assume you hit on him then you are just even
Keep cooper and guys like looney and maybe even Cobb
Fix the defense with the draft
Keep Cooper AND draft a WR in the first 2 rounds.

Defense doesn't need to be fixed, just tweaked.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
they never are on this team

even if a pass is 2 feet over a guys head and a full second late, if the receiver can get a fingertip on it it was “catchable”

Our receivers have to routinely work against their own momentum to catch the ball. If you're running a slant be prepared to have to reach back for the football.

Man I can't even talk about this right now. Prescott's not ruining Mike McCarthy Day for me.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
they never are on this team

even if a pass is 2 feet over a guys head and a full second late, if the receiver can get a fingertip on it it was “catchable”
No his bad passes were to Cooper and Gallup. You don’t get a drop for a bad pass lol.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Sure. And it still has a ton of room to get better, b/c Witten and Cobb are bad players.
Cobb is not bad. And yeah they will all improve with a second year under Moore. You don’t have to sign guys for that unit to get better.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score

Unless we pick up some absolute stud DLineman in free agency, sure. Our DLine and depth is atrocious. Same could be said for LB depth.

I can see where you're coming from at WR, but our defense is porous.

conner01

Reaction score

I don’t agree on defense
We will likely lose on starting cb this year and more next year. Most of our Dline is FA
Lots of holes to fill and looking at this draft I think we can get a quality safety and cb

aikemirv

Reaction score
D isn't the problem. They lost 3 games in which the opponents scored a TOTAL of 2 touchdowns. Offense is even decent in those games, Dallas finishes with 11 wins.

Defense is only the problem if you think trying to win games 20-16 is smart football in 2020.
Defense had issues but very true what you said!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cobb being able to stay is as much about what they do with Cooper. Pay Cooper 18-19M and have Gallup coming up soon and what can they afford to pay Cobb?

I think Big Mike will have some input about retaining Cooper and/or Cobb. But I do wonder about his opinion on TE?

And speaking of Big Mike's opinion, I'd like to know what he thinks, was that a catch or no catch with Dez?

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
After safety, defensive tackle, defensive end, cornerback, ect. If we resign Amari and Cobb will have 3000 yards of receiving yards between these guys. I think we will be ok.
I disagree so hard. We haven’t seen dak without a top core of weapons. I don’t think you wanna see that day come. It could get awkward for the prodigal son. Well for real start being like “maybe he’s left handed let’s try that in2021!”

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Cobb is not bad. And yeah they will all improve with a second year under Moore. You don’t have to sign guys for that unit to get better.
Yes he is. He can't catch, and he's slow. The slot in this offense plays in man coverage every play. That guy should be dominant.

Yes you do, b/c the pass catching talent isn't very good. What they accomplished this year was as good as that group gets. I mean, there is just so much opportunity to get better from Witt and Cobb's roles.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I disagree so hard. We haven’t seen dak without a top core of weapons. I don’t think you wanna see that day come. It could get awkward for the prodigal son. Well for real start being like “maybe he’s left handed let’s try that in2021!”

Uh lol what?

Deonte Thompson, Butler and Burns don't ring a bell?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don’t agree on defense
We will likely lose on starting cb this year and more next year. Most of our Dline is FA
Lots of holes to fill and looking at this draft I think we can get a quality safety and cb
Losing Byron won't matter. Should be easy to re-sign Collins and Quinn.

Spending big resources on "holes" at positions that don't impact games is a waste, imo. Defensive backs don't really matter.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Unless we pick up some absolute stud DLineman in free agency, sure. Our DLine and depth is atrocious. Same could be said for LB depth.

I can see where you're coming from at WR, but our defense is porous.
They were top-10 in yards per attempt against the run and pass, and the most effective pass rush in the entire NFL. Interesting definition of porous.Quinn and Collins will be pretty easy to re-sign.

Scheme change will make miles of difference.

Carson

Reaction score
Yes he is. He can't catch, and he's slow. The slot in this offense plays in man coverage every play. That guy should be dominant.

Yes you do, b/c the pass catching talent isn't very good. What they accomplished this year was as good as that group gets. I mean, there is just so much opportunity to get better from Witt and Cobb's roles.

Well. Umm. Cobb finished with the 3rd most yards from the slot last season

Dallasfann

Reaction score
100% on board with bringing Cobb back. I think he does everything we need him to do. Less drops would be nice but that goes for every one of our receivers.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
They were top-10 in yards per attempt against the run and pass, and the most effective pass rush in the entire NFL. Interesting definition of porous.Quinn and Collins will be pretty easy to re-sign.

Scheme change will make miles of difference.

I hope you're right and Quinn decides to stay. The dude was a monster rushing the passer for us. Interestingly enough, as was Collins. Though, statistically, they were both not so good against the run.

Again, I'm not entirely disagreeing with you..I would just hate to spend one of our top 2 picks on a WR with our depth looking low.

Then again, I noticed in a thread earlier, you stated you don't feel DLineman are as important. To each their own my friend!!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well. Umm. Cobb finished with the 3rd most yards from the slot last season
Don't care, yard totals don't matter.

He can't catch the ball, and the one thing that was appealing about him - the ability to break tackles and run after the catch - was nonexistent.