Twitter: Randy Gregory eligible to return to practice this week

Plankton

Reaction score
So they have recognized that he failed another drug test? The NFL themselves reported this?

Because last I heard they didn't know of another failed test.

The NFL cannot say it. They are banned from speaking on the record about a drug suspension until the appeals process has concluded. That's per the CBA.

Now, off the record......

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The NFL cannot say it. They are banned from speaking on the record about a drug suspension until the appeals process has concluded. That's per the CBA.

Now, off the record......

If that is true and the Cowboys are letting him practice than I think there is a better than 50% chance he is playing.

There is probably some wink wink stuff going on behind the scenes.

Playmaker247

Reaction score
If we can play I would play him the entire week 17 game. Considering that game will probably be useless. Get him ready for the playoffs

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Actually, Ricky Williams has a social anxiety disorder. So I don't know if it's fair to say he just wanted to smoke no matter what. He likely smoked to cope with his anxiety disorder also.
From what ive heard of Gregory, they are actually very similar cases.

Ive heard Gregory smoke to cope with Bi Polar Disorder

phildadon86

Reaction score
If that is true and the Cowboys are letting him practice than I think there is a better than 50% chance he is playing.

Him coming to us at this point in the season is nothing but good. Unless we would rather keep Mayowa on the field instead......i cant believe how many people dont want him back. From a pure talent standpoint the only one on our team right now is Irving at getting to the QB with Lawerence in second. Hes an IMMEDIATE upgrade over what we have.

hendog

Reaction score

Wink wink puff puff pass? Ok sorry that was bad.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Suspensions are usually announced AFTER the appeal process. For reasons of privacy or whatever. When the appeal is processed, upheld or reversed, then an announcement will be made.

It does not stop "sources" ie agents and whoever from leaking the information.
Ah. For some reason I thought the NFL actually confirmed Lane Johnson's failed test before his appeal got started. Maybe it was his own statement (and therefore, confirmation) that I'm remembering.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Him coming to us at this point in the season is nothing but good. Unless we would rather keep Mayowa on the field instead......i cant believe how many people dont want him back. From a pure talent standpoint the only one on our team right now is Irving at getting to the QB with Lawerence in second. Hes an IMMEDIATE upgrade over what we have.

I'm looking at all of this from a complete football point of view.

If someone wants him cut from the team I totally understand but I just want him out there hitting QB's.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quick reminder: the last official word from the NFL was: "Failed a test? New suspension? That's news to us. We don't know a thing about it."

When the *NFL* says there was a failed/missed drug test and the *NFL* says there's a new suspension being appealed right now it will mean something.

The NFL hasn't said one ******* word about a new failed drug test or a new suspension being appealed by Randy Gregory. The only source for this are media people who keep repeating one another without any confirmation of this by the NFL itself.
And we say how that played out the last time the media jumped prematurely on a Gregory story

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score

I don't necessarily think that's the case. They could be assured he is suspended for another 16 games, but they Cowboys have been consistent in wanting to support Gregory the Person as much as Gregory the Player. I can see them having him come back as being consistent with this, as well as what they consider the Process, even if they believe he is done until this time next year.

It doesn't really cost them anything to allow him to practice and stay with the team (no salary, no roster spot taken). The only thing it 'costs' them is that some people feel he ought to be shunned and not disrupt the team dynamic.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I'm pulling for the guy but there does come a point that if the team can't count on him then he does this team no good. Right now yes I would love to have him in uniform and playing but if the rumors of yet another suspension and full year as punishment does happen, then he is no good to the team. Injuries there is nothing a team can do to prevent it but stupidity can be addressed

Reaction score
He is eligible to practice now because his 14 game suspension is over. He has to WIN the appeal for his YEARLONG suspension (previously announced a number of weeks ago) to play. This news means very little unless he has a winner argument on appeal, which is doubtful.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I'm pulling for the guy but there does come a point that if the team can't count on him then he does this team no good. Right now yes I would love to have him in uniform and playing but if the rumors of yet another suspension and full year as punishment does happen, then he is no good to the team. Injuries there is nothing a team can do to prevent it but stupidity can be addressed

Doesn't really harm the team to keep him around, either. Unless he became some sort of distraction (but considering he hasn't tweeted in ages and stays pretty quiet, I get the feeling he was told to keep his head down).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He is eligible to practice now because his 14 game suspension is over. He has to WIN the appeal for his YEARLONG suspension (previously announced a number of weeks ago) to play. This news means very little unless he has a winner argument on appeal, which is doubtful.

That is where the confusion is.

The NFL and Jerry haven't acknowledged another failed test.

hendog

Reaction score
We should take a close look at his practice reps. If he's getting any meaningful reps at all the cowboys may know something. They won't take reps away from players who are going to play for those who are not.

Reaction score
That is where the confusion is.

The NFL and Jerry haven't acknowledged another failed test.

They cant until the appeal is over, per the CBA. But the missed/failed test was widely reported. We are going to have a 20 page thread, only to get a "Gregory appeal of yearlong suspension denied" headline.