Twitter: Randy Gregory eligible to return to practice this week

CWR

Reaction score
Man Im a glutten for punishment, cause I would love to see this guy out there rushing the passer. Yes please I know he aint nothing and never has been for us BUT.....How great would it be if he balled out with Law?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Thank God. We desperately need his 6 career tackles and 0 sacks to help our defense..

If he had as many NFL sacks as he does suspensions I would feel somewhat encouraged that he could provide something that resembles a pass rush in the playoffs.

hendog

Reaction score
If he had as many NFL sacks as he does suspensions I would feel somewhat encouraged that he could provide something that resembles a pass rush in the playoffs.
You have an axe to grind? Lol

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Likley they IR Jaylon Smith and activate Gregory, depending on other injuries. I don't want to see someone cut for Gregory - THAT would be unfair.
Jaylon isn't really on the roster. He, like McFadden, are in roster purgatory until the three week practice period is up. Someone else would have to be waived.

What this means is that Randy joins them in roster purgatory for the next couple of weeks.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
With all of these situations I don't have any trust any longer. It seems like once things start they just keep getting worse. I'd like to think there was help on the way but until he is playing I'm not getting my hopes up.

Proximo

Reaction score
What a weird situation.

Only thing I can assume is that if Randy actually does start practicing, getting real reps throughout the week, then the team must feel confident about the prospect of him actually playing this season. Which would be a good thing. Maybe he can help the pass rush.

reddyuta

Reaction score
we know he is suspended for 14 games .i am unclear if the new suspension covers another whole season or 3 more games.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You have an axe to grind? Lol

I gave up on Gregory after his second suspension. He's done with the Cowboys after this season and his NFL career could be done. He's done nothing (no sacks and only a few tackles) to make any teams want to put up with the headache he's sure to bring. He was given a great opportunity and blew it. If the Cowboys couldn't straighten him out, no one else is likely to waste their time with him.

jrumann59

Reaction score
we know he is suspended for 14 games .i am unclear if the new suspension covers another whole season or 3 more games.
the rumored suspension is 1 year but can only be re-instated by the commish.

shabazz

Reaction score
I would take Hardy, Gregory and Alonzo Spellman joined at the hip if it would allow the current younger generations of fans see a Cowboys Super Bowl victory. if Gregory can help in the most needed position on this team I'm fine with it. #shamelesshomer

DTown214

Reaction score
The chances of him showing up to practice in anywhere close to game-shape are slim to none. I'm still rooting for the kid but man, he's got so many issues. When I heard about the newest suspension I was completely off his band wagon and wanted him cut. But IF it gets appealed and it turns out he didn't fail another drug test, I'll give him one more chance. Mainly because we desperately need a pass rusher.

silver

Reaction score
He could boost our pass rush come playoff time. I'm still enthusiastic about having him or anybody who can rush the passer in the fold. Mayowa seems to be coming around but T. Crawford pass rush at DE has been non-existing on passing downs.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah right, very unlikely someone would not give him a try if he's eligible.

He's done nothing for anyone to give him a chance. No production and three failed drug tests in less than a year and this was after falling in the draft due to a failed drug test. He hasn't done anything on the field to temp anyone into taking a chance on him. No production and he can't be depended on, not a good combination!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The chances of him showing up to practice in anywhere close to game-shape are slim to none. I'm still rooting for the kid but man, he's got so many issues. When I heard about the newest suspension I was completely off his band wagon and wanted him cut. But IF it gets appealed and it turns out he didn't fail another drug test, I'll give him one more chance. Mainly because we desperately need a pass rusher.

I'm pretty sure he's been at the Star working out with Jaylon Smith.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He could boost our pass rush come playoff time. I'm still enthusiastic about having him or anybody who can rush the passer in the fold. Mayowa seems to be coming around but T. Crawford pass rush at DE has been non-existing on passing downs.

How could he possibly boost our pass rush with all the time he's missed being suspended? He hasn't been working with the team for months. He didn't boost our pass rush last season when he was on the field. He's had trouble keeping his weight up, he probably looks like a bean pole right now. He's not going to be worth a damn with all the time he missed last year and this year. If we were talking about a veteran player with experience, that's a different story but we're talking about a young player who's development has been severely stunted the past two seasons due to an injury that cost him several games and drug suspensions. Granted we're desperate for a pass rush but he would have a tough time providing what he did last season which wasn't much.

drawandstrike

Reaction score
Next the nerve in Jaylon's knee fires and we have both Gregory and Smith out there for the playoffs!

:D

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Jaylon isn't really on the roster. He, like McFadden, are in roster purgatory until the three week practice period is up. Someone else would have to be waived.

What this means is that Randy joins them in roster purgatory for the next couple of weeks.
Agreed, but I think that by the time Gregory is out of purgatory, a decision will need to be made on those guys. As it stands right now, I expect Smith to go to IR.