News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I wonder if it was weed or HGH.

HGH would not fall under the substance abuse policy.

Players in the substance abuse program are tested for alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, amphetamine, morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, PCP and MDMA.

He could have been suspended for testing positive for any of those drugs. He also could have been suspended for failing to comply with his treatment plan or failing to cooperate with any of the testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements of the substance abuse program.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Maybe it's not dumbness.

Maybe the kid doesn't know how to handle a certain perceived weakness in his personality or thought-process?

Addiction isn't casual use. Big difference.

It's possible, sure. But marijuana is not a highly addictive drug. So, I feel safe in assuming he's just being an idiot. Another young player who thought he could smoke and find a way to hide it.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
I think it's a dumb policy. Drink all the alcohol you want, but don't smoke weed!

Just like the law in most of America.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
looks like maybe last seasons draft and offseason was not the resounding success every one thought. appears to me this team in headed in a bad direction in a hurry I don't expect much for 2016 .

wileedog

Reaction score
But the player has to "buy into" that they have a problem.

And a GM has to be pretty convinced they have bought into that before blowing a 2nd round draft pick on him.

Failing 4 drug tests in his rookie year is pretty good evidence how that has turned out.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry is just a figurehead.

The man behind the curtain.

Is it Garrett? Gasp, McClay?

All in all, this is just not a Randy Gregory fail.

This is an organizational fail. Because it really makes things difficult.

But I guess it like these other misfortunes like unreliability, injury etc. that gosh darn it keep popping up in our well run, non-dysfunctional organization.

Garrett isn't perfect but he didn't want Gregory . He didn't seem a bit happy when Jerry and Stephan were celebrating . It shows how stupid this front office really is. They were celebrating while the rest of the league was laughing .

Daillest88

Reaction score
looks like maybe last seasons draft and offseason was not the resounding success every one thought. appears to me this team in headed in a bad direction in a hurry I don't expect much for 2016 .

All this can be repaired by getting the right kind of guys this offseason. Time to dump the retards off this team

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And a GM has to be pretty convinced they have bought into that before blowing a 2nd round draft pick on him.

Failing 4 drug tests in his rookie year is pretty good evidence how that has turned out.

**** happens.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
HGH would not fall under the substance abuse policy.

Players in the substance abuse program are tested for alcohol, cocaine, marijuana, amphetamine, morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, PCP and MDMA.

He could have been suspended for testing positive for any of those drugs. He also could have been suspended for failing to comply with his treatment plan or failing to cooperate with any of the testing, treatment, evaluation or other requirements of the substance abuse program.

I'll never understand why the players association allows alcohol to be a part of the drug testing program. may as well test for tobacco.

black label

Reaction score
giphy.gif

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Most businesses ban the use of marijuana...........one of the first jobs I had straight out of college was working at Dell Computers in Austin.

All employees were randomly drug tested twice a month (random meaning you didn't know on what day, but you knew you had 2 tests each month)

If you tested positive, you got a written warning............you had to pee clean for the next 6 months...........if you failed a 2nd drug test during that time, you were automatically terminated.

Did they test you for alcohol as well?;) Forgot out of the system in under 72 hours; justice! :D

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
I'll never understand why the players association allows alcohol to be a part of the drug testing program. may as well test for tobacco.

You would have to have had a binge I am assuming for the alcohol positive results to be treated the same way (even then they would overlook it). Are there any players who have been reprimanded for testing positive for alcohol alone? I would think Manziel showing up to practice drunk (not hungover; big difference) would've got him suspended by the league at a minimum if true. I don't know of any unless you want to combine the troubled problems the WR from JAG who mixed them w tranquilizers. yikes

I believe the last player survey has NFL player marijuana usage at over 50% easily. It's commonly used but "some" are pegged for it. Isn't weird that most college players with MJ issues seem to skate the system once in the NFL?....Warren Sapp and Mark Stepnoski would agree with me there; they're given prep time.;) I believe Josh Gordon is a troubled player, but Gregory is just a pot head being stigmatized.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think it's a dumb policy. Drink all the alcohol you want, but don't smoke weed!

Just like the law in most of America.

Where's the problem when a dedicated and truely aspiring defensive end is completely dedicated right now to a strict diet and exercise regimen, above all else. No time but to eat proper food, exercise, and then sleep to restore.

Oh, the 'other' parts of society who need a ton of crutches to get by in life...

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Garrett isn't perfect but he didn't want Gregory . .

There is zero to affirm this.

Jones has said "nobody is on the roster that Jason does not want".

That is the glory about the structure that exists with this team.

When something bad happens, well, nobody is accountable.

Whoops, we just don't know.

But then there was a "group" decision.

You just have no idea the owner is playing a shell game with you.

Last edited:

superonyx

Reaction score
This isn't about Gregory being dumb or an idiot or any other name people choose to call him. There are many players who don't have this happen to them who have lower intelligence than Randy Gregory. Sure it's hard for us to imagine having a million dollar per year job get thrown away due to "choosing" to smoke pot. The difference is we are not addicts. The guy isn't dumb. The guy has a sickness and even though he is throwing away financial security for life, he just can't help it.

It's a shame people and the NFL can't acknowledge there is a difference between a stupid punk who likes to party and smoke weed and a true addict that will struggle with his addiction for the rest of his life regardless of playing in the NFL or not.
I feel bad for Randy Gregory and hope he can get the treatment he needs to get a handle on his real issues.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
I knew this was going to happen. I just knew it. The second we drafted this guy.

He's going to be out of the league in a few years or worse, dead. He's got crazy mental problems that made everyone else back off except us. Dude is Dimitrius Underwood II.