News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
They need to help the kid handle his anxiety demons (if that's the problem) without the assistance of something that could end his career.

AKA, let him be prescribed the highly addictive Xanax type of benzos that are most common forms of treatment given by physicians to treat anxiety; legallyo_O?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I knew this was going to happen. I just knew it. The second we drafted this guy.

He's going to be out of the league in a few years or worse, dead. He's got crazy mental problems that made everyone else back off except us. Dude is Dimitrius Underwood II.

I don't judge the player.

I judge the process.

We have supposedly "got this" for years

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
This isn't about Gregory being dumb or an idiot or any other name people choose to call him. There are many players who don't have this happen to them who have lower intelligence than Randy Gregory. Sure it's hard for us to imagine having a million dollar per year job get thrown away due to "choosing" to smoke pot. The difference is we are not addicts. The guy isn't dumb. The guy has a sickness and even though he is throwing away financial security for life, he just can't help it.

It's a shame people and the NFL can't acknowledge there is a difference between a stupid punk who likes to party and smoke weed and a true addict that will struggle with his addiction for the rest of his life regardless of playing in the NFL or not.
I feel bad for Randy Gregory and hope he can get the treatment he needs to get a handle on his real issues.
Or, the NFL can update their policy so that plays like Gregory can treat their anxiety with out highly addictive benzo drugs like Xanax/Clonpin, Valium? He is young and dumb, and doesn't prioritize his career over partying like a lot of 23 year olds. You want to set him on the track of n intense lifelong addictions to benzos as a way off helping him? Marijuana is psychologically addictive (anyone with addictive personalities will react differently, etc. as is usually displayed with gambling addictions). Marijuana hasn't been scientifically proven to be physically addictive.

Last edited:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
I'll never understand why the players association allows alcohol to be a part of the drug testing program.

Why wouldn't it be? A substance abuse problem is a substance abuse problem. Besides, players can get suspended for testing positive for alcohol only if their treatment program prohibits alcohol.

RandyOh

Reaction score
Resign Hardy. But but but he. No bring him back. He won't be bargain bin cheap but he won't be expensive either for his production and how much he makes others better. If your expecting Mario Williams or Ware to come cheap then your no smarter then Gregory. Same goes for the ones wanting Noah Spence. Wasn't he kicked out Ohio States program because he's a drug addict?

Also don't cut Gregory. He is on a dirt cheap rookie contract for 3 more seasons. For all we know he turns his life around.... or he smartens up and does a better job of not getting caught. He can't be trusted to be a core defensive piece at this time though.

superonyx

Reaction score
It's possible, sure. But marijuana is not a highly addictive drug. So, I feel safe in assuming he's just being an idiot. Another young player who thought he could smoke and find a way to hide it.

Do you seriously think it's about the chemical addiction or lack of chemical addiction? When an addict goes through detox and comes clean they generally return to drugs months later...it's nothing to do with the addictive chemical...it's about the brain or emotional issues they have that causes them to use again.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
This isn't about Gregory being dumb or an idiot or any other name people choose to call him. There are many players who don't have this happen to them who have lower intelligence than Randy Gregory. Sure it's hard for us to imagine having a million dollar per year job get thrown away due to "choosing" to smoke pot. The difference is we are not addicts. The guy isn't dumb. The guy has a sickness and even though he is throwing away financial security for life, he just can't help it.

It's a shame people and the NFL can't acknowledge there is a difference between a stupid punk who likes to party and smoke weed and a true addict that will struggle with his addiction for the rest of his life regardless of playing in the NFL or not.
I feel bad for Randy Gregory and hope he can get the treatment he needs to get a handle on his real issues.

Is there a source that says he's an addict? Also, there's a difference of being addicted to something psychologically and being addicted due to chemicals.

The former is always wrong, but Gregory knew the NFL's stance on this. I lack sympathy because he's now in a place where he can find alternatives for whatever is causing his addiction (Stress, anxiety, depression?) that the NFL doesn't frown upon. And if his addiction is as bad as some of you are making it out to be, I don't want him here. He's obviously not seeking an alternative.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Do you seriously think it's about the chemical addiction or lack of chemical addiction? When an addict goes through detox and comes clean they generally return to drugs months later...it's nothing to do with the addictive chemical...it's about the brain or emotional issues they have that causes them to use again.

Read what I just posted to you.

The simple fact is: Chemical addiction is harder to control rather than something psychological. With chemical, your body is relying on it and even goes through withdraw. There hasn't been much evidence to show marijuana causes withdraw on a high level, even low level is rare.

I'm not trying to demonize weed, I think it has more positives than negatives. But an NFL player knows the policies in place, find an alternative or seek professional help.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Too busy hanging out with that chick in FL to realize he is going to piss his career away. What a tool. No wonder he was available in the 2nd round. Good job letting your teammates down idiot

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Oh and if we pass up Goff or Wentz as future franchise QB because we need a DE now I will blow my lid. That would mean this moron set this franchise back. Wasted draft pick... Just unbelievable really.

superonyx

Reaction score
Is there a source that says he's an addict? Also, there's a difference of being addicted to something psychologically and being addicted due to chemicals.

The former is always wrong, but Gregory knew the NFL's stance on this. I lack sympathy because he's now in a place where he can find alternatives for whatever is causing his addiction (Stress, anxiety, depression?) that the NFL doesn't frown upon. And if his addiction is as bad as some of you are making it out to be, I don't want him here. He's obviously not seeking an alternative.

A source? What's the relevance? Is there a source that says he isn't an addict and that he is an idiot?

Randy Gregory lost millions of dollars and was publicly humiliated in a way many cannot understand. He knew each time he tested positive. He knew what would happen if he showed up at the combine with drugs in his system. He knew what he was facing when he failed again and let down his family, friends, and teammates. This is much deeper than just being a young punk who thinks he can get high and get away with it.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
And they say weed isn't addictive...
NT Times
http://healthland.time.com/author/maiasz/

What about withdrawal symptoms?

You see mood effects, irritability. Food intake decreases. There are sleep disruptions. It looks like nicotine withdrawal,” says Carl Hart, associate professor of clinical neuroscience at Columbia University, who has studied marijuana withdrawal. “You can actually die from alcohol withdrawal. Heroin withdrawal you can’t really die from; it’s more like the flu. Marijuana withdrawal is annoying, but it isn’t life threatening.”

mattjames2010

Reaction score
A source? What's the relevance? Is there a source that says he isn't an addict and that he is an idiot?

Randy Gregory lost millions of dollars and was publicly humiliated in a way many cannot understand. He knew each time he tested positive. He knew what would happen if he showed up at the combine with drugs in his system. He knew what he was facing when he failed again and let down his family, friends, and teammates. This is much deeper than just being a young punk who thinks he can get high and get away with it.

And you think this why? He's 23 years old. Not entirely the brightest age, there's an issue with young men and women thinking they can hide their drug use from tests. Ever work a revolving door job, like in retail? Know what the number one reason for slow hiring rate is? Yep, failed drug tests. Are they all addicts? If this is a problem, I want to see some hard evidence that marijuana has this much of an issue on the brain.

I'm going with the "He's a young man who made two bad decisions in his short career". I'm not saying this kid has an IQ below 70. Again, if this issue is psychological, he's in a place now where an organization can help him find alternatives or speak to a professional to help him with whatever he is dealing with.

It's time for an ultimatum: Either get it fixed or get off the team. I wish the NFL would step away from demonizing weed as much as the next person, but wishing doesn't make it so. We all know the policy, put down the pot and do your job.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Why wouldn't it be? A substance abuse problem is a substance abuse problem. Besides, players can get suspended for testing positive for alcohol only if their treatment program prohibits alcohol.

jmo, it's a legal substance, so unless they got a dui, or was under the influence at practice or at a game, it shouldn't be against the rules. but that may be the case

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

Who has this happened to on 4 game, 8 game, etc. progression? Personally now curious tbh.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
Oh and if we pass up Goff or Wentz as future franchise QB because we need a DE now I will blow my lid. That would mean this moron set this franchise back. Wasted draft pick... Just unbelievable really.

I hear that! You don't pass up on a QB regardless of needs when you have an old QB (still top 5 talent) who has back issues and holds the ball too long @ times. The JJ 3-5 yr talk is just PR.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score

He has highly addictive NFL sanctioned options (Dr prescribed benzos like Xanax) to his problem but agree he may want to look into personal/career counseling until the league updates their dated policy on the substance. If marijuana (w/no physical enhancements) can assist with his anxiety disorder, why put him on a lifelong addiction track?