News: Randy Gregory Suspended Four Games

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
No, I mean like...

AUGUST 2011: Though rumors of a fight after a pre-season game at Cowboys Stadium with the mother of one of his two sons persist, no police report is filed.

JANUARY 2012: Dez is detained and questioned by Miami police after a fight involving rapper Lil’ Wayne at the famed South Beach Club LIV.

JUNE 2012: After having his driver’s license previously suspended for excessive traffic tickets, Dez is issued a conditional license by a Dallas County judge.

JULY 2012: Dez is arrested and charged with a Class A misdemeanor of domestic violence after an incident in DeSoto in which he allegedly slapped his mother, Angela.

Four instances in less than one year. None of them a huge deal on its own, but still situations he keeps putting himself in. I don't get in that many situations. I haven't been in a fight in my 35 years. He had SOME involvement in three in 12 months. I'm not saying cut him - I love Dez and think he's worth the "trouble." I think he's targeted unfairly in some instances, but he still makes dumb decisions of someone in a professional setting. These are not smart guys. They're other-worldly talented guys. But they're not smart guys.

Yup, and he was never suspended for any of those. And you're innocent until proven guilty.

Randy Gregory on the other hand failed a drug test FOUR times and the league was forced to suspend him.

One is stupid, and the other is Dez Bryant.

YR

RS12

Reaction score
At last year's scouting combine, Gregory tested positive for marijuana, which put him in the league's drug program. Considered a first-round prospect, he fell to the second round, where the Cowboys selected him with the 60th overall pick.

The Cowboys and Gregory agreed to have a personal handler with him during the season to help him cope with issues related to anxiety.

Gregory signed a four-year deal worth roughly $3.8 million after the draft, including $1.4 million guaranteed. It is possible Gregory could lose the $370,000 guaranteed on his 2016 base salary as a result of the suspension.

Gregory played in 12 games as a rookie and did not record a sack. He suffered a high-ankle sprain in the season opener against the New York Giants and missed the next four games. Cowboys coaches credited him with 11 tackles and 16 quarterback pressures to go along with one tackle for loss.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...l-four-games-violating-substance-abuse-policy

robjay04

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's a current problem, or a detriment to the team. I'm saying dumb people do dumb things and get in dumb situations. Some players are worth weathering those situations. Dez is/was one. Randy Gregory is not. Some players learn and mature. Dez Bryant has. Randy Gregory has not. Whether it's the regular season or off-season is 100% irrelevant. You SHOULD be able to trust your players/employees whether or not they're on the clock.

I didn't bring up Dez in the first place. I'm responding to whoever brought him up.

Okay, I get the comparison just based on a player putting himself in bad situations early in his career but Dez didn't knowingly break league rules over and over again. I just thought it had to be a person with an agenda to bring up Dez Bryant in the first place, I lost track of who brought him up but it's fine. This thread should be about the stupidity of Gregory and the Cowboys organization for buying his story that he doesn't have a drug problem.

There is a reason every team passed over him, most of them passed over him twice despite his talent.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
1) It was a good pick at the time. Worth the risk in my opinion. So far, it hasn't worked out. Hopefully, he will finally change and see the light. If not, well, time to move on.

2) Noah Spence would be a nice addition. And I'm all for bringing Hardy back if he signs at a decent price.

3) They can't legalize weed fast enough. Yeah, players are somewhat stupid for using weed. But, the NFL is equally stupid for suspending players over weed in this day and age. States are legalizing it, so why would the NFL care? Are they worried about their image?

perrykemp

Reaction score
You will see the grades of each player on NFL.com at the conclusion of the combine.

Grade Title
9.00-10 Once-in-lifetime player
8.00-8.99 Perennial All-Pro
7.50-7.99 Future All-Pro
7.00-7.49 Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.50-6.99 Chance to become Pro Bowl-caliber player
6.00-6.49 Should become instant starter
5.50-5.99 Chance to become NFL starter
5.20-5.49 NFL backup or special teams potential
5.01-5.19 Better-than-average chance to make NFL roster
5.0050-50 Chance to make NFL roster
4.75-4.99 Should be in an NFL training camp
4.50-4.74 Chance to be in an NFL training camp
No Grade Likely needs time in developmental league.

If I recall correctly Tony Mandarich broke the record for highest combine score up that point in 1989.

Interesting how that worked out.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prior to the draft I think I said he was a player I did NOT want us to draft for this very reason. Remember there was stuff going around that one of the Nebraska coaches asked for him to quit being tested because they knew he would fail.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I want Hardy and Mario regardless of Gregorys suspension.

In another note the NFL has to lose this stupid rule for weed! With all the states that have legalized it, etc. My guess is over 50% of NFL smoke it, and 80% of the NBA.
Why would the NBA be higher?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
1) It was a good pick at the time. Worth the risk in my opinion. So far, it hasn't worked out. Hopefully, he will finally change and see the light. If not, well, time to move on.

2) Noah Spence would be a nice addition. And I'm all for bringing Hardy back if he signs at a decent price.

3) They can't legalize weed fast enough. Yeah, players are somewhat stupid for using weed. But, the NFL is equally stupid for suspending players over weed in this day and age. States are legalizing it, so why would the NFL care? Are they worried about their image?

If players can self-medicate with weed instead of opiates I am OK with it.

bounce

Reaction score
Okay, I get the comparison just based on a player putting himself in bad situations early in his career but Dez didn't knowingly break league rules over and over again. I just thought it had to be a person with an agenda to bring up Dez Bryant in the first place, I lost track of who brought him up but it's fine. This thread should be about the stupidity of Gregory and the Cowboys organization for buying his story that he doesn't have a drug problem.

There is a reason every team passed over him, most of them passed over him twice despite his talent.

I agree. I sort of spun it off the rails. To get back to the topic, Gregory is a moron. Dallas took a risk, and it bit them.

Satchel89

Reaction score
What an absolute moron. This is getting so old. I mean why should I be surprised. Is Gregory even going to make any progress this season? Well maybe Bosa is a lock at 4 now. I don't know if it even matters. They need lots of help

Craig

Reaction score
This is a distraction, but this is also the dallas cowboys. It could be a team of the most vanilla players ever and there would always be a distraction.