Rapoport: Zeke wants to be the highest-paid running back

Rayman70

Reaction score
Like the optics of a billionaire owner shorting his star player on millions of dollars and calling into a two-bit radio show drunk and petty bad?
that's life man. Its aint always rosie.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I'm no JJ fan..he is not a football guy..but just because I don't like him doesn't mean I get to dictate how he runs his business. That's his right..he owns the team.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I've said is before, there's a price/penalty for getting a new deal two years left on your old on. If he was a free agent, yea, by all means, you deserve it but NOT when asking for a new contract early. It's like asking financial companies NOT to charge you interest money you're going to hold for two years. Either way, this is where I get off.........

EZEKIEL ELLIOTTRB, DALLAS COWBOYS

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Ezekiel Elliott wants to be the league's highest-paid running back.
That title currently belongs to Todd Gurley, who landed a four-year, $60 million extension last offseason. The Cowboys recently presented a deal that would make Zeke the second-richest back behind Gurley, but that was a non-starter for the two-time rushing champ. Per Rapoport, an offer north of Gurley's $15 million AAV is "probably the only thing that would get [Elliott] to engage" at this point. Unless the two sides can strike a compromise in the coming days, rookie Tony Pollard will lead the backfield when Dallas hosts the Giants in Week 1.

Dominate with our Draft Guide: See how far Pollard has been moving up our rankings!

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Aug 30, 2019, 7:37 PM ET

This is what hes always "said", nothing to see here...

Gaede

Reaction score
Zekes agent is trying to extort a mega deal using all means...ie Marshal Faulk,media and others. Its really ugly. The main facts are being omitted. HE HAS A DEAL!! Its not like hes in the final year of his deal.

You have actually hit on something here.

What has Zeke said publicly? Nothing!

Anything that has come out of his mouth has been class act. He wants what he is deserved but has never bashed the team, the owner, the franchise.

Meanwhile, the owner is lecturing radio hosts who make 45k a year and proclaiming that they don't need a top RB to win the superbowl (though the last 3x the owner won the super bowl was with the greatest rb of all time).

Who has really been ugly?

amame25

Reaction score
Why is Zeke holding out with 2 years left to go on his contract?
Answer that and you will be able to follow the line of logic on how we ended up where we are today with Zeke?

So you're Nostradamus and knew when they drafted him that he would set the world on fire and asked to be paid the most money for a running back early? You knew that Gurley was going to be overpaid and screw the market? You knew that Bell would get butthurt and hold out all season? Just not seeing your logic here other than "Durrrrr Jerry bad"

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
Zeke is not going to get what he wants. Just sit down and enjoy Cabo and your next screw up off field.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Everybody knows Zeke has 2 years left. You guys keep saying this. Do you guys ever stop to think, if that is your sticking point, then why are the Joneses negotiating with him? You really need to think about it. It obviously is not an issue if they are, right now, offering the 2nd highest paying, according to the media, contract amongst RBs. Is that clear? You have no point in constantly repeating this. Nothing but feelings I guess. Previously, the Joneses even said Gurley's contract is the starting point. They talk too much, and now flooding the media doing contrary to what they said. Go figure. Are they the victims now?

Lol, you get to the 2nd part of the logical thought process by asking yourself why are the Joneses negotiating with him but then your brain crashes and you tell yourself it’s because Zeke is great and has all of this leverage by sitting out...

They are negotiating with him so they can get a good deal on their terms.

They are negotiating a contract that they can get out of when he goes full knucklehead in the offseason.

They are negotiating a contract that will look good after the RB market inflates.

They aren’t negotiating because they are desperate to have him back. They get him back for almost half the season even if he doesn’t show up and he gets fined a boat load of cash.

Jerry and Stephen are thinking big picture and about the salary cap with this contract. They do not care about being stupid with their money because of 1 season.

They have the leverage, Zeke will sign to their terms, or he will sit and be fined a ton of money and have to play a minimum of 6 games anyways.

amame25

Reaction score
What I'm saying is, one person has been classy through this all.

His surrogates? Maybe not. But Zeke has said nothing disrespectful.

Disrespectful is not honoring the contract you signed and living up to the agreements you made.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So you're Nostradamus and knew when they drafted him that he would set the world on fire and asked to be paid the most money for a running back early? You knew that Gurley was going to be overpaid and screw the market? You knew that Bell would get butthurt and hold out all season? Just not seeing your logic here other than "Durrrrr Jerry bad"

Jerry showed the door to a proven Franchise QB think the guys name was Tony Romo for a young Buck QB(Dak) figuring only he could find a franchise QB in the 4th round.
The Young Buck turned out to be a Flash in the Pan can cant pass for squat and it totally dependent on Zeke as those 6 games Zeke was out proved for all to see.
Zeke and his Agent aren't idiots and simply want to be paid NOW as Zeke is carrying the offense and NOT our QB.
In other words its called smart business and fair as Zeke is the best HB in the league and currently the 438th paid player in the NFL.
Anyway getting back to our main issue let me ask you the following......Would Zeke and his agent hold out now if Mahomes was the QB or any top 10 NFL QB?
NO cause there leverage would be very very low in fact it would be pure career suicide!!
To summarize....Jerry miscue created this situation which is a whopper as in the end its gonna hurt the team one way or another.

glimmerman

Reaction score
You have actually hit on something here.

What has Zeke said publicly? Nothing!

Anything that has come out of his mouth has been class act. He wants what he is deserved but has never bashed the team, the owner, the franchise.

Meanwhile, the owner is lecturing radio hosts who make 45k a year and proclaiming that they don't need a top RB to win the superbowl (though the last 3x the owner won the super bowl was with the greatest rb of all time).

Who has really been ugly?
Elliot is finally listening to his agent and staying in and staying out of trouble. Even when he gets in trouble in public you never hear him saying anything. The strong silent type. Lol. If he honored his 4th year I would say pay him. I never expected him to play the 5th year option and no way he plays under the tag.

kskboys

Reaction score
Fine. I sign him to $100k more than Gurley for AAV, with only a total of 3 years (basically only one new year) and half of Leveon Bell's guarantees. There you have it. Also his guarantees are 100% void if he gets suspended and the Cowboys can thus cut or trade him without any dead cap hit.
They already offered something similar to what you're suggesting. He wants a huge guarantee and the biggest salary.

Cas2800

Reaction score
That's what happens working for a private corporation…..You start making too much money and they fire you for someone who they can pay half what they paid you. Time to show what Pollard can do. These athletes are getting too dam greedy. Who cant live on 14 million a year??? Do you realize just how far 1 million dollars will take you? Take the 14 million and learn how to manage your money and not blow it like a fool!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Elliot is finally listening to his agent and staying in and staying out of trouble. Even when he gets in trouble in public you never hear him saying anything. The strong silent type. Lol. If he honored his 4th year I would say pay him. I never expected him to play the 5th year option and no way he plays under the tag.

Leveon Bell is the only player I can think of that didn’t play under their tag.

This time a year ago Earl Thomas was done in Seattle but he showed up when it was time.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, considering there should be a handful of quality backs hitting FA after camp cuts, the FO shouldn't feel any pressure about Zeke right now. Jay Ajayi is still out there, plus a guy like TJ Yeldon may get cut by Buffalo. Not to mention trade targets. You got your eye on any back in particular, Stash, besides Ajayi?

He’s first on the list.

But I’d keep tabs on Buffalo for sure. I thought they should have considered Yeldon even before this holdout.

Point is that Super Bowl champions win with committees, not workhorses.