Rapoport: Zeke wants to be the highest-paid running back

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
He’s first on the list.

But I’d keep tabs on Buffalo for sure. I thought they should have considered Yeldon even before this holdout.

Point is that Super Bowl champions win with committees, not workhorses.
From what I'm seeing, Buffalo is likely going to part with either Yeldon or McCoy.

Sydla

Reaction score
You have actually hit on something here.

What has Zeke said publicly? Nothing!

Anything that has come out of his mouth has been class act. He wants what he is deserved but has never bashed the team, the owner, the franchise.

Meanwhile, the owner is lecturing radio hosts who make 45k a year and proclaiming that they don't need a top RB to win the superbowl (though the last 3x the owner won the super bowl was with the greatest rb of all time).

Who has really been ugly?

Zeke’s unofficial spokesman, training buddy Faulk took a direct shot at Dak. Not a peep from Elliott.

A few days later, Faulk takes a swipe at Dallas signing Smith. Again, nary a peep.

So it’s as much as what he hasn’t said as it is what he has said.

superonyx

Reaction score
I would be more understanding if this was his contract year but with 2 years left on his current one I have to side with Jerry ....what's the purpose of contracts?
That’s what Dez is wondering also.

Gurley got his deal with 2 left on his also. Wentz just got his deal with 2 years left on his.
Jaylon just got his deal after 3 years.

aria

Reaction score

Anything that has come out of his mouth has been class act. He wants what he is deserved but has never bashed the team, the owner, the franchise.

Meanwhile, the owner is lecturing radio hosts who make 45k a year and proclaiming that they don't need a top RB to win the superbowl (though the last 3x the owner won the super bowl was with the greatest rb of all time).

You can’t be serious with all this? There should be an auto correct feature that doesn’t even allow you to use Zeke and class in the same sentence.

Class act? The guy is sitting out with 2 years left on his contract and screwing over a guy that stood by him and went to bat for him. He doesn’t need to say anything, actions speak louder than words and that is a classless chump move.

Class act? He’s done nothing but drag his name and the Cowboys name through the mud since draft day and has shown no signs of changing.

Class act? The same guy that publicly bashed his coach after losing a big game in college?

Gaede

Reaction score
Because Elliott has repeatedly shown he can’t behave appropriately. Why do you think?
The idea that a free grown man has to 'behave' according to his masters preference is an odd one. Implies a parent/child relationship. Or worse.

Gaede

Reaction score
You can’t be serious with all this? There should be an auto correct feature that doesn’t even allow you to use Zeke and class in the same sentence.

Class act? The guy is sitting out with 2 years left on his contract and screwing over a guy that stood by him and went to bat for him. He doesn’t need to say anything, actions speak louder than words and that is a classless chump move.

Class act? He’s done nothing but drag his name and the Cowboys name through the mud since draft day and has shown no signs of changing.

Class act? The same guy that publicly bashed his coach after losing a big game in college?

What has he said to not be a class act? He is holding out becaue that's his leverage. This is a negotiation. That's how these things work.

He is not going on TV saying the team cannot win without him. He has never bashed the owners. The franchise. The fans. All he is doing is trying to get the $ he is worth using the leverage he has.

This is business to Zeke. And if you can't see it, you don't know business

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score

It's not what he said but what he's done that's ugly. If he wanted a new contract and Jerry was ready to listen, fine. But you stay with the the team, practice, get some reps in preseason and negotiate. You don't fly off to Cabo to draw attention to yourself and the franchise while playing, "Mr. Nice Guy"

The second he stepped onto that plane it was a big middle finger to Jerry. Ugly

Gaede

Reaction score
It's not what he said but what he's done that's ugly. If he wanted a new contract and Jerry was ready to listen, fine. But you stay with the the team, practice, get some reps in preseason and negotiate. You don't fly off to Cabo to draw attention to yourself and the franchise while playing, "Mr. Nice Guy"

The second he stepped onto that plane it was a big middle finger to Jerry. Ugly

Zeke thinks he should be the top paid RB in the NFL. Jerry was not going to give it to him. Holding out, however painful to fans and the team, is the only way to force Jerry's hand. It's not the most fan friendly move, but you have to respect his willingness to do what it takes to get what he deserves. A lot of people would just take what the rich guy gives you. But Zeke knows that he is leaving millions of dollars on the table.

Polkton31

Reaction score
Every single team in the league would. With Gurley's knee probs, and his size and the way he plays, he is not a long-term runner.

Zeke, like Emmitt, is a master of avoiding big hits and preserving his body

Have to disagree with every team in the league would. If that was the case, Bell would have been paid more than Gurley. Also, not sure which Zeke you have been watching, but the one I have watched has taken huge hits, and seems to seek out contact on some runs. To be honest, I have seen Zeke take some hits I didn't think he was getting up from. On top of that, the hurdling and coming down at crazy angles can't be good long term either. I'm surprised that ankle he nursed for a while wasn't worse. But, that is just my opinion, yours may vary.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
So Zeke is supposed to play out a jacked up contract when hes making 50 percent below TGurley and Bell?

Really?
Dude. They are offering him 99% of what he is asking but he wants 100% or nothing. It's not like they are saying stay at your current amount. He is unwilling to get anything but the most $ for a running back in the history of the NFL. All while not completing a full season due to his dumb behavior. I was a big Zeke fan before this nonsense but this is just silly

aria

Reaction score
What has he said to not be a class act? He is holding out becaue that's his leverage. This is a negotiation. That's how these things work.

He is not going on TV saying the team cannot win without him. He has never bashed the owners. The franchise. The fans. All he is doing is trying to get the $ he is worth using the leverage he has.

This is business to Zeke. And if you can't see it, you don't know business
Not honoring a contract that he signed is not negotiating, that’s being a low life scum bag, especially with two years left.

He could have handled this much better but when Zeke doesn’t get what he wants he either bullies people or quits. In this case, he’s trying to bully Jerry and hopefully Jerry doesn’t budge but I doubt he won’t.

At what point would you not support him? Say he gets a fat new contract and then when the salary cap goes up he decides he wants more money and sits out after playing only a year on his new contract? When is it not ok in your mind to not honor the piece of paper you signed?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
With a 17 million dollar signing bonus. So in 2016 he got paid 20 million. Not bad for a rookie.

He led the NFL in rushing and scored 16 TDs, which is way above the norm for a rookie. In other words, he earned it and it has nothing to do with 2019.

kskboys

Reaction score
The idea that a free grown man has to 'behave' according to his masters preference is an odd one. Implies a parent/child relationship. Or worse.
You're looking at this from a very strange perspective. We all must follow the rules of society. And of our employer. And of our wife, and whomever else we have in our life.

bcavi

Reaction score
Lol, you get to the 2nd part of the logical thought process by asking yourself why are the Joneses negotiating with him but then your brain crashes and you tell yourself it’s because Zeke is great and has all of this leverage by sitting out...

They are negotiating with him so they can get a good deal on their terms.

They are negotiating a contract that they can get out of when he goes full knucklehead in the offseason.

They are negotiating a contract that will look good after the RB market inflates.

They aren’t negotiating because they are desperate to have him back. They get him back for almost half the season even if he doesn’t show up and he gets fined a boat load of cash.

Jerry and Stephen are thinking big picture and about the salary cap with this contract. They do not care about being stupid with their money because of 1 season.

They have the leverage, Zeke will sign to their terms, or he will sit and be fined a ton of money and have to play a minimum of 6 games anyways.

Read dude. You are adding things to my post that just aren't there. It's their money, they can negotiate how they want. Tell me. With the sound bites alone, the Jones have put their foot in their mouths and appealing quite swimmingly to people like you. Why don't you hold the Joneses to what they've actually said to the media? The agent can simply play those soundbites back without saying a word. You on the other hand are only making the points that they are now saying... Feelings maybe? Your opinions are obvious because that is all their (Joneses) talking points now. They even said that his off the field issues have no bearing on their negotiations... I can only go by what they say. All the other stuff, which you do well, is conjecture.