Rapoport: Zeke wants to be the highest-paid running back

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Lol, so? If you claim to not have animosity towards people you don’t know then you’re a liar. Do I really need to rattle off certain historical figures, celebrities and “classes” of people that are in prison for certain reasons to prove my point?

Take off the blinders homer. This guy thinks he’s bigger than the team and a few like yourself continue to support him blindly, that’s hilarious. I don’t care if he thinks he earned it either, it’s how he’s handling it. There’s a big difference but based on your previous posts I wouldn’t expect you to understand that.

Just a bunch of noise, nothing factual...I'm stunned. :rolleyes:

0afc2d379b2deab6b5c4dc5dae95df43.jpg

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I was gonna say...

Sorry but, a new contract is not for what you've done for me, but rather what I am EXPECTING from you in the future! That's just how it works.

People want to talk about 2016 all the time. Well look, he was great. Since then he's gotten fatter and slower (am I wrong? Look at his ypc numbers). Not to mention he went from 15 TDs in '16 to 13 TDs in 2017-18 COMBINED. Meanwhile a beat up Gurley has put up 30 TDs in the last two seasons.

Some of that is the suspension, but shouldn't that and his overall off the field, "suspension waiting to happen" behavior be taken into account for FUTURE contract negotiations?

Again, somebody, anybody, convince me why Zeke deserves more $$ than Gurley. If you can, can I have your # for when I need a lawyer someday?

Its about team building for me and cap management. If you build your offense around the Oline and have a great oline, then you don't pay the back big money. You should be able to have a dangerous run game with a stable of good backs.

I also factor in the knuckle head issue as well.

Altestic

Reaction score
Its about team building for me and cap management. If you build your offense around the Oline and have a great oline, then you don't pay the back big money. You should be able to have a dangerous run game with a stable of good backs.

110% Agreed.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Then why did we use a 4th overall pick if we didn’t intend on resigning him?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
110% Agreed.

Makes no sense to have the most expensive Oline and the most expensive back.

Its over kill. Bad allocation of resources. And then I think you have to look at the fact that your passing game with Dak and Cooper and these guys has some real potential.

Zeke could get you a nice windfall of draft picks in a trade. I think his value is there. And in the guys you can sign with his salary slot.

Difference between:

Zeke at 15 million per year

Or

1st round pick safety
3rd round pick RB to team with Pollard
15 million per year DT you sign in FA

Which one would you want?

SoBlue128

Reaction score
This might be why he wants to be paid now. He doesn’t think we had intentions to sign him next year.

If he wasn’t such a knucklehead I could see his side a little clearer and make no mistake about he is a special talent but and there it is the “but” to this whole situation. The but is what makes this thing tricky not to mention Faulk going around slamming his teammates while he sits up in his perch with his hand out waiting for a big payday. At this point he could be way more of a liability when he does comeback.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Then why did we use a 4th overall pick if we didn’t intend on resigning him?

I don't think in April 2016 the FO had planned that our #4 overall pick would be holding out to negotiate a new contract in 2019 when he's STILL SIGNED through the 2020 season.

Look -- I don't begrudge Zeke. But I would tell him, Gordon, and my fellow PSU alum Saquon Barkley the same thing: don't bark at the owners for the slotted 5 year rookie deals. You're gripe is with the NFLPA and that crappy (if you pardon my French) deal they signed off for the players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If he wasn’t such a knucklehead I could see his side a little clearer and make no mistake about he is a special talent but and there it is the “but” to this whole situation. The but is what makes this thing tricky not to mention Faulk going around slamming his teammates while he sits up in his perch with his hand out waiting for a big payday. At this point he could be way more of a liability when he does comeback.
I’m only evaluating him on the field. He’s our most talented player.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's interesting to see the people who talk about business versus the people who are just spewing emotions.

On an emotional level I love Zeke. He carried my alma mater to the first CFP championship. He led the Cowboys to 13-3 as a rookie, and I loved it.

But as a businessman, I understand his desire to be the highest paid at his position AND I understand the Cowboys' reluctance to make him so. If the cap didn't exist, Jerry would do it in a heartbeat - it's not like he doesn't have the cash. But from a team standpoint in the salary cap era the Cowboys have to be smart. I don't want to have the RB with the highest cap hit to be on the Cowboys, because it'll require sacrifices elsewhere.

That's it. No emotions, just business. Some of you ladies should try it. :rolleyes:

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
If he had 1 more year to his contract that is one thing, but bro your 1 year to early. Jerry has had this troublemaker back since the start, and this is how he repays loyalty. Ship this guy to another team.

Reaction score
I don't think in April 2016 the FO had planned that our #4 overall pick would be holding out to negotiate a new contract in 2019 when he's STILL SIGNED through the 2020 season.

Look -- I don't begrudge Zeke. But I would tell him, Gordon, and my fellow PSU alum Saquon Barkley the same thing: don't bark at the owners for the slotted 5 year rookie deals. You're gripe is with the NFLPA and that crappy (if you pardon my French) deal they signed off for the players.

,,, well, not all the players, in fact it was the vets lamenting that there wasn't any pie left that wanted the 5 year slots. Suddenly Zekes two-fisted eating takes on new meaning!

SoBlue128

Reaction score
I’m only evaluating him on the field. He’s our most talented player.

I agree “he is the straw that stirs the drink” as Stevie was quoted saying so there are two sides to the stupidity of this whole mess. I think this could have been the precursor to this whole situation in setting the wheels in motion for a new contract. Yet with all this in mind, you don’t go push around or bump a security guard before demanding a new contract. With that being said the level immaturity of a player has to be a factor regardless of the players talent because it’s always about availability and his actions have already cost the organization 6 missed games.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree “he is the straw that stirs the drink” as Stevie was quoted saying so there are two sides to the stupidity of this whole mess. I think this could have been the precursor to this whole situation in setting the wheels in motion for a new contract. Yet with all this in mind, you don’t go push around or bump a security guard before demanding a new contract. With that being said the level immaturity of a player has to be a factor regardless of the players talent because it’s always about availability and his actions have already cost the organization 6 missed games.
Once he avoided another suspension the hold out was on.

Cowboy fans are so fickle who were defending him against obvious DV charges but then can’t stand him when he avoids suspension and holds out cause he sees Cowboys ready to pay Dak a year early but not him 2 years early.

slick325

Reaction score
Deserves every dime too. Not one other player on the roster that is in a contract year or in line for a new deal, is even close to the caliber player he is...get your money young fella!

Edit: according to everyone who feels you should pay a QB whatever the price because the cap keeps increasing and the market keeps resetting (Zeke won't be the highest paid for long thanks to the Mara family), why not pay the teams best player? Stop paying positions and pay the talent.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Deserves every dime too. Not one other player on the roster that is in a contract year or in line for a new deal, is even close to the caliber player he is...get your money young fella!
Yea, besides demanding to get paid now I’m not sure what fans expected we’d need to pay Zeke when the time came.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Edit: according to everyone who feels you should pay a QB whatever the price because the cap keeps increasing and the market keeps resetting (Zeke won't be the highest paid for long thanks to the Mara family), why not pay the teams best player? Stop paying positions and pay the talent.
Yea, even the Cowboys biggest homer , Michael Irvin, thinks we need Elliott.

I can’t imagine a Cowboy fan not wanting Ezekiel on the field. This forum must not be full of Cowboy fans?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If he had 1 more year to his contract that is one thing, but bro your 1 year to early. Jerry has had this troublemaker back since the start, and this is how he repays loyalty. Ship this guy to another team.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
You can’t be serious with all this? There should be an auto correct feature that doesn’t even allow you to use Zeke and class in the same sentence.

Class act? The guy is sitting out with 2 years left on his contract and screwing over a guy that stood by him and went to bat for him. He doesn’t need to say anything, actions speak louder than words and that is a classless chump move.

Class act? He’s done nothing but drag his name and the Cowboys name through the mud since draft day and has shown no signs of changing.

Class act? The same guy that publicly bashed his coach after losing a big game in college?