Rate Jerry as Owner/GM on a scale of 1 to 10

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'd say a 5.5 overall.

9/10 as an owner.

But most importantly a 5/10 as GM and this counts as 90% of the score. But he could easily improve that to a 7 or 8 if he just becomes more aggressive in free agency and gets someone to strategically manage the cap. It's almost like he wants to perfectly assemble a SB team, but you gotta be messy and take chances in order to do that.

To give him some credit he, or Will McClay (who he hired) have done a great job drafting recently. And as you pointed out, he does have 3 Superbowl rings.
Yep drafting has keep this team relevant.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Well, you hit the nail on the head in that its been a tale of 2 eras. Jerry was perfect in the role of facilitator of Jimmy's vision. People forget or don't know that Jerry is the one who convinced Hershel Waker to accept the trade. Jerry is the one who talked Charles Haley into choosing Dallas. So Jerry had a legitimate right to claim he was a part of the building those super bowl teams. He just gets the proportion wrong. He's been overestimating himself since 1994.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Jerry is accountable to no one, so he has no consequences for his actions.
He has focused on his strength as a business man, and made the Cowboys a financial giant.
That's great for him , but fans care more about on field success.
Since that great 6 year run with 3 SB's the team has been a failure on the field and more importantly a dismal failure in the post season.
We are one of only 3 NFC teams not to have played in the NFCC game in the past 25 years.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Owner: A few facts
  • The franchise has 3 SBs with two Head Coaches with him as owner. He hired both coaches.
  • After the SB years, the franchise has been average to slightly above average record-wise. So combine average with all-world and you get your on-the-field answer.
  • Then you have all the other owner stuff (marketing, facilities, etc) that he is a master at.
  • The franchise was going bankrupt when he bought it and is now the most valuable franchise in the world.
  • He also allowed himself to be GM for many years (not so much anymore) Big negative...but floor still a 5
  • He made the HOF as an OWNER (I'm sure his GM skills played little into that)

I think he is one of the best owners

GM:
  • Jimmy rightly gets most of the GM cred for the Super Bowls--especially the first 2, but also much of the 3rd.
  • Jerry did make some huge moves to help us get the 3rd SB though. Think Larry Allen, Deion Sanders, etc. HUGE They don't win the 3rd SB without them.
  • After the SB years, the franchise has been average to slightly above average record-wise. So the floor is a 5....or average

Owner....9...would be a 10 except he allowed himself to be the GM. But there are a 100 other things owners do as well.
GM........5.....we have been average
The only big move Jerry made for the 3rd SB was Deion. Larry Allen was a 2nd round pick of the 1994 draft.
The franchise has been well below average record wise where is matters most e.g. the playoffs. 12 of the 16 NFC teams have been to the NFC Championship two or more times since we last graced it. That's not average and that's down to the GM.

75boyz

Reaction score
As both owner and GM Jerry just had a season in which his team had a 4,000 yd passer, 1,000 yd rusher, 1,000 yd receiver, 10 plus sack defender and a 10 plus pick defender.

And ZERO playoff wins.

Thats never been done before so Jerry makes that list, LOL.

But seriously, Jerry and the stat guys made bank.

The team...?

Same old Cowboys.

However you personally choose to grade winning playoff games as under the owner/GM's job description is a matter of personal opinion I guess. I rank it as highest priority myself.

So I call it an overall fail under both titles regardless of IF he's fooling the world as an owner with his yearly profits.
The name of the game is still winning trophies in my book.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry did a great job his first 5 years, hired Jimmy , mostly stayed out of the way, signed players.
Did a great job.
Last 27 years has been in over his head with bad trades and bad drafts , hired the wrong HC's and then kept them too long (Garrett).
So looking at his whole body of work I would give him a 6 overall.
Mainly because of those 3 SB's wins.
PS: Hiring wrong front office personal like his son is also a major error.
You hire people because of their ability to get the job done, not just because they are your offspring.
This isn't the local grocery store.
Running a NFL Franchise is a complex operation.

Thoughts ?
Owner: 10
GM: 1

DFWJC

Reaction score
The only big move Jerry made for the 3rd SB was Deion. Larry Allen was a 2nd round pick of the 1994 draft.
The franchise has been well below average record wise where is matters most e.g. the playoffs. 12 of the 16 NFC teams have been to the NFC Championship two or more times since we last graced it. That's not average and that's down to the GM.
Yes. Larry Allen in the 1994 draft was a Jerry pick. Jimmy was gone.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If some of you guys are using team record as a measurement for how Jerry (GM) has done, but even after Jimmy left, Dallas has been above the middle of the pack (which sets a floor at 5/average) then how are you getting 1s and 2s?
Emotions? Frustration?

I realize average or slightly above average is NOT acceptable. But it is, by definition a 5 or 6 out of 10.

So Honest question. I really don't care either way. Just asking.

basel90

Reaction score
Is is not the responsibility of the owner to produce a winning team?
How much more valuable would the franchise be if we had won an SB or two in the last 10-15 years?
agree. Another SB or 2 would have added at least 1-2 billion value.
Overall , judging on the last 2 decades , he as an owner/Gm has failed miserably. a 26 year SB drought is completely unacceptable and the fans have to demand answers.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Owner: 10 (helped make the league more profitable than it has ever been; will spend the cash to get the players he needs to win)
GM: 2 (doesn't know how to pick coaches. undermines his coaches' authority. even he said he'd fire himself as GM. Nuff said.)

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Yes. Larry Allen in the 1994 draft was a Jerry pick. Jimmy was gone.
But spending a 2nd round pick on a OL from small school would hardly be considered a BIG move at the time. It didn't help us win the NFC Championship the following year.
Deion was the only big move.

DFWJC

Reaction score
But spending a 2nd round pick on a OL from small school would hardly be considered a BIG move at the time. It didn't help us win the NFC Championship the following year.
Deion was the only big move.
You don't think 1995 All-Pro (not just Pro Bowl, but All-Pro) Larry Allen didn't help us win the SB in 1995?

Anyway. My overall point was that even after Jimmy, Dallas (on average) has at least been average or above average. So if on-field is a measurement (as it should be for GM especially) then 5 or 6 is the min.

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Jerry does have likable qualities, I really appreciate and admire his work with the Salvation Army.
This is not personal with me, just objectively reviewing his body of work over his ownership and believe it's very flawed.
The larger concern at this point is that he is going to perpetuate this flawed business model by having Stephen replace him when he passes or steps down.
Nepotism is a very flawed business model.
This is well documented.
Hard to believe a man as intelligent as Jerry must be, he cannot see this.
I can’t argue your points it’s just maddening.

CCBoy

Reaction score
lol.

You did not include the following from the same article:

I asked if it’s possible the team could get a general manager or if Tobin might end up on the hot seat if the team doesn’t get better results in the Draft.

Dragon responded:

“To answer your questions: no and no. I don’t see the Bengals hiring an official GM any time soon. Duke Tobin is the de facto GM as well as Mike Brown, Katie Blackburn, they all operate together, as well as Zac Taylor, they make the decisions organizationally. So I don’t see them hiring a GM. And Duke Tobin, he’s been there for a while now. I don’t believe he’s on the hot seat.”

Dragon then mentioned that Tobin had a solid Draft last year in getting Joe Burrow, Tee Higgins, and Logan Wilson, all of whom will be big contributors this year.

Essentially, Mike Tobin IS Will McClay. McClay is the actual architect of Cowboys drafts, just as Tobin is for the Bengals. Tobin secured solid players, despite Brown. Arguably, McClay has been attempting to do the same, despite Jones.

If there is any difference between Jerry Jones and Mike Brown, it is that Brown is perhaps both less intrusive and less vocal than Jones. Both men insert themselves into the general managerial activities of their respective franchises for no logical discernible reason.

Any Cowboys fans' hopes hinge upon the pieces McClay has been assembling will finally mesh, execute and perform as well together for an entire year as the Bengals demonstrated last season. It is the successful end result of having solid, knowledgeable and qualified football managers can deliver despite the unnecessary involvement of owners like Mike Brown, who calls himself a general manager, just like Jerry Jones.

Both men should stop purposefully getting in the way of their own football ambitions. However, truth should never be twisted. Both Jones and Brown are self-appointed general managers via the authority of their ownership.

Dallas drafts have been evaluated as pretty strong for the past five to eight years...

and Coaches and Scouts have had their strength of imputs.

I hate to stereotype when elements of leadership and injuries influence depth of opportunities.

Covind wasn't a tacit influence over the past two seasons as well.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
giphy.gif
I guess this refers to the amount of Superbowls he won and not his rating? If so I agree. :D

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
the unnecessary involvement of owners like Mike Brown, who calls himself a general manager, just like Jerry Jones.

Both men should stop purposefully getting in the way of their own football ambitions. However, truth should never be twisted. Both Jones and Brown are self-appointed general managers via the authority of their ownership.[/QUOTE]
Does Brown meddle with the coaching like it appears Jerry does?
Has Brown created an entitlement culture instead of an accountability culture like it appears Jerry has?
I
I can’t argue your points it’s just maddening.
I feel your pain ! :(

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If some of you guys are using team record as a measurement for how Jerry (GM) has done, but even after Jimmy left, Dallas has been above the middle of the pack (which sets a floor at 5/average) then how are you getting 1s and 2s?
Emotions? Frustration?

I realize average or slightly above average is NOT acceptable. But it is, by definition a 5 or 6 out of 10.

So Honest question. I really don't care either way. Just asking.
Think that might be looking at the post season for the last 26 years.
Only one of three teams not to make the NFCC , yikes !

fivetwos

Reaction score
He puts together a great roster....as a GM he is good in that regard.....he is very weak at hiring competent coaches that will crack the whip.....that's where the owner comes in....I think he a better GM than owner...
Well maybe you should be easier to reach sir....

:starspin: