Rate the last movie you saw

ethiostar

Reaction score
Scott Pilgrim vs The World------------7/10

Much better than i thought.

The Town--------------8/10

I usually can't stand Ben Aflec as an actor but he did a really good job in this one.

Despicable Me-----------8.5/10

Very cute and funny.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It doesn't matter one bit if the story is original or not. You can read a 100 year-old book, know its every detail and plot point before walking into the theater, and still enjoy the movie version.

If you need a surprise to enjoy a movie, you're doing it wrong.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
peplaw06;3815363 said:
The story was less about their actual relationship as it was obviously about them overcoming their past to give the relationship a chance. The whole movie presumably spanned a period of what 4 weeks? Hard to develop a lot about a relationship in such a relatively short period of time. It's pretty obvious that wasn't the point of the story.

That's the problem. The relationship has no chance. That aspect of the movie is poorly done so there's nothing to give the audience a real reason to care about everything they're doing to move on and give it a chance. If you don't care about why they're doing it, it's hard to care about them doing it.

I know the story is truncated because it's a movie and needed to be for time, but it just didn't work as well as it could have for me. It's still an enjoyable and fun movie, just lacking something it needs to be great. It would have helped if there was even an oz. of chemistry between the 2. I came out of the movie thinking a movie about Knives would have been much more interesting.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Invictus----------8/10

I just watched this with my wife and we both enjoyed it very much. A very uplifting movie.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TheCowboy;3815824 said:
Frozen- 9/10

One of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen in my life.

I saw that while searching for movies on Netflix. The premise seemed so absurd I had to skip it. That and it wasn't HD (for streaming).

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Blue Valentine -- 7/10

Great movie; had no idea Gossling could act; terrible ending.

The King's Speech -- 9/10

Loved the shots the director used. Should win the Oscar for cinematography.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
theogt;3815932 said:
Blue Valentine -- 7/10

Great movie; had no idea Gossling could act; terrible ending.

The King's Speech -- 9/10

Loved the shots the director used. Should win the Oscar for cinematography.

Really? He's been considered good for awhile now (at least since Half Nelson which he was nominated for).

Agree about The King's Speech being shot really well.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3815937 said:
Really? He's been considered good for awhile now (at least since Half Nelson which he was nominated for).
I knew he was considered good. But really didn't know he was. I had only seen bits of The Notebook.

PBJTime

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Little Fockers: 6/10

I guess if you've seen one, you've seen them all. It had it's funny moments, but I laughed more at the hysterical lady about 10 rows behind me. Just about everyone looked back when she laughed because it was so extreme...but hilarious.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3815925 said:
I saw that while searching for movies on Netflix. The premise seemed so absurd I had to skip it. That and it wasn't HD (for streaming).
Yeah it didn't say HD but actually it did seem like HD. I know Stars Play sometimes has bad qualitly video but this was actually pretty good.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3815951 said:
I knew he was considered good. But really didn't know he was. I had only seen bits of The Notebook.

You mean you aren't up to date on your Mickey Mouse Club and Young Hercules? :laugh2:

I like him as an actor, he hasn't really taken any roles in big films or anything yet.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3815633 said:
That's the problem. The relationship has no chance. That aspect of the movie is poorly done so there's nothing to give the audience a real reason to care about everything they're doing to move on and give it a chance. If you don't care about why they're doing it, it's hard to care about them doing it.

I know the story is truncated because it's a movie and needed to be for time, but it just didn't work as well as it could have for me. It's still an enjoyable and fun movie, just lacking something it needs to be great. It would have helped if there was even an oz. of chemistry between the 2. I came out of the movie thinking a movie about Knives would have been much more interesting.
The funny thing is that's just your opinion. I've never seen someone so hell bent on proving everyone else's OPINIONS of movies wrong. You speak in absolutes, "the relationship has no chance," as if it's a given that everyone must agree with you.

For instance. I thought Knives was annoying as ****. I felt myself cringing every time I saw her. Different strokes for different folks. But you notice, I'm not the one here acting all incredulous that you would actually enjoy that character.

I really hate it when people act all aloof about movies, like they're someone who gets paid for their opinions. Movies are works of art and entertainment. If I enjoy a movie, who are you to come in here and try to convince me I shouldn't like it? Do you do the same thing with music?

Number82

No Helmet; No Problem
Reaction score
No Strings Attached: 7/10 (9/10 on the Romantic-Comedy that guys would actually enjoy scale)

It was pretty funny, had some quotable lines, interesting plot concept, and Natalie Portman is ridiculously attractive.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCowboy;3815824 said:
Frozen- 9/10

One of the most thrilling movies I've ever seen in my life.

Really? Wow - I thought that movie was terrible.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
peplaw06;3816131 said:
The funny thing is that's just your opinion. I've never seen someone so hell bent on proving everyone else's OPINIONS of movies wrong. You speak in absolutes, "the relationship has no chance," as if it's a given that everyone must agree with you.

For instance. I thought Knives was annoying as ****. I felt myself cringing every time I saw her. Different strokes for different folks. But you notice, I'm not the one here acting all incredulous that you would actually enjoy that character.

I really hate it when people act all aloof about movies, like they're someone who gets paid for their opinions. Movies are works of art and entertainment. If I enjoy a movie, who are you to come in here and try to convince me I shouldn't like it? Do you do the same thing with music?

I'm just trying to discuss a film. Why do you have a problem with that?

I haven't tried to convince you not to like it or prove you wrong. I don't care if you love it or hate it. I've said multiple times I found it enjoyable myself.

But yes, I am a bit surprised people would cite story as something "great" about the movie, and I was certainly curious as to what the reasoning behind it was. EXCUSE ME oh noble one, sorry I was so "incredulous." And I'm sorry I don't feel the need to put "IMO," "my opinion," "I think," etc. before or after every opinion I type. Obviously it's opinion as is pretty much every statement made about what people think...even absolutes.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3816166 said:
I'm just trying to discuss a film. Why do you have a problem with that?

I haven't tried to convince you not to like it or prove you wrong. I don't care if you love it or hate it. I've said multiple times I found it enjoyable myself.

But yes, I am a bit surprised people would cite story as something "great" about the movie, and I was certainly curious as to what the reasoning behind it was. EXCUSE ME oh noble one, sorry I was so "incredulous." And I'm sorry I don't feel the need to put "IMO," "my opinion," "I think," etc. before or after every opinion I type. Obviously it's opinion as is pretty much every statement made about what people think...even absolutes.
You should probably go back and look at your posts in this thread. That's what you do with pretty much every opinion you don't agree with. Just on this page, I can look up and see a poster who rated a movie highly, and you come in and proclaim the premise of the movie "absurd" based on the description you saw on Netflix.

If you can't see how such an approach to something that is entirely a matter of opinion is annoying, I don't know what to tell you.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
8213: Gacy House.

Basically Paranormal Activity in a house built on the property where Gacy's house used to be.

God awful

1/10

Kevinicus

Reaction score
peplaw06;3816430 said:
You should probably go back and look at your posts in this thread. That's what you do with pretty much every opinion you don't agree with. Just on this page, I can look up and see a poster who rated a movie highly, and you come in and proclaim the premise of the movie "absurd" based on the description you saw on Netflix.

If you can't see how such an approach to something that is entirely a matter of opinion is annoying, I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, so my opinion can't be expressed? Did I say that other movie was bad? Did I say anything negative about the poster because he thought it was good? Did I say his opinion was poor or wrong or dispute it in some way?

No, I simply stated that I had seen that movie on netflix and it sounded absurd, and that's why I skipped it. Am I forbidden from expressing the reason I chose not to see a movie at this point in time? And I didn't proclaim it was absurd, I said it seemed absurd. First you complain I use an absolute and then you go and take an instance where I didn't and turn it into one.

The Description in question btw:

Three friends hit the slopes for a weekend of skiing and snowboarding. But when they convince the chairlift operator to let them take one last run before closing, Parker (Emma Bell), Joe (Shawn Ashmore) and Dan (Kevin Zegers) find themselves stranded in midair, alone and freezing. It'll be days before anyone returns to the slopes, and their chances of survival are looking slimmer by the minute.

Seems absurd...IN MY OPINION. I could be wrong, I didn't see the movie, but that's just what I get from that description, and that is why I'll be skipping it. If the other poster loved it, great, good for him.