Rate the last movie you saw

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3821316 said:
There are people that are not in the biz in someday that actually care about these music and movie awards??? :D

I only watch the AVN awards.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Red--------6.5/10

It was entertaining.

The American------7/10

I didn't know much about this movie until i actually watched it. It was not bad, although the ending was a little weak.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Black Swan - 2/10 - Gets 3 points for the hump scenes. Other than that it was boring

True Grit - 8/10 - Felt weightless, but still entertaining and clever.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Wall street 2---------5/10

There wasn't a whole lot I liked about this movie. I still I think Shia Lebeouf is a pretty good young actor.

Animal Kingdom--------7.5/10

A little slow but still a pretty good movie. Talk about a disfunctional family, wow.

Wimbo

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3824521 said:
Black Swan - 2/10 - Gets 3 points for the hump scenes. Other than that it was boring

+1. Date night snoozer. I am going to stop watching movies that the professional critics rate an "A".

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Blue Valentine 7/10

I guess she just outgrew him, because I thought he treated her pretty decently. All he (seemingly) wanted to do was love her and his daughter.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bbgun;3826188 said:
Blue Valentine 7/10

I guess she just outgrew him, because I thought he treated her pretty decently. All he (seemingly) wanted to do was love her and his daughter.
Loved the exchange where he claimed having a job that allows him to drink beer at 8am is a luxury, while she wanted him to make more of himself. What he wanted in life, he had already. He merely worked to maintain that. Without that scene and the ukulele scene, the movie would have been almost worthless.

I honestly felt she was never that into him and felt trapped from the beginning, which made her character too distant. It seemed that the point was that she, like her grandmother, simply wasn't going to find true love in her life; or, rather, love doesn't exist. In any event, a terrible theme because it's (untrue and) depressing.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;3826216 said:
Loved the exchange where he claimed having a job that allows him to drink beer at 8am is a luxury, while she wanted him to make more of himself. What he wanted in life, he had already. He merely worked to maintain that. Without that scene and the ukulele scene, the movie would have been almost worthless.

He's a beta male and she knows it. The crux of the matter is that women do not desire men of equal status. They desire men of higher status than themselves. Even though she's a college dropout and a mere nurse, she's still in a position to look down on him. Nothing will kill romance faster.

I honestly felt she was never that into him and felt trapped from the beginning, which made her character too distant.

What gave it away? The 20 or so sex partners she admitted to having? :eek::

It seemed that the point was that she, like her grandmother, simply wasn't going to find true love in her life; or, rather, love doesn't exist. In any event, a terrible theme because it's (untrue and) depressing.

Well, he certainly found it. Either that or he realizes he can't do better than her, so he's holding on for dear life. Witness the beta-ish scene where he pleaded with her in the kitchen, to no avail.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Black Swan - 7/10.

Kind of surprised I rated it that high. Portman gives a brilliant performance, and her Oscar will be well deserved, and really her performance may be the biggest reason for the rating. I don't typically care for Aronofsky (This is definitely my favorite of his films), and I certainly don't care a lick about ballet, but found myself drawn into this movie about a performer being dragged by her insecurities and the pressure of her role to the breaking point and beyond.

I would have liked a little more insight into the past of Portman's character. It is hinted at slightly by her mother, but is never delved into. And I also am curious what happened to the character after the ending. There are several ways it could develop from there, with the most obvious being the course that follows the film's similarities to the ballet being performed. I don't think adding this would make the movie any better, it's just me being curious and wanting to know.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3824521 said:
True Grit - 8/10 - Felt weightless, but still entertaining and clever.

That's a very good word to describe that movie. It's exactly how I felt about it. I was hoping it was about to start bulking up towards the end, but then well...it just ended.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Green Hornet 3D - 6/10
It was fun, not as bad as I expected but pretty much forgettable. We decided to go on a spur of the moment thing, and there was some alcohol included in that decision. I sobered up pretty quick when the ticket price came up as $17.50. 3D is such a scam.

Wimbo

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3826290 said:
I would have liked a little more insight into the past of Portman's character. It is hinted at slightly by her mother, but is never delved into.

And this is one of the many reasons why this film was not good... no character development.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Wimbo;3826374 said:
And this is one of the many reasons why this film was not good... no character development.

Well I'm not sure I would agree with that. I thought Portman's character was pretty well developed, but I would have appreciated some more insight into her past since they hinted at there being a problem before.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3826294 said:
That's a very good word to describe that movie. It's exactly how I felt about it. I was hoping it was about to start bulking up towards the end, but then well...it just ended.

*Semi-Spoilers below*

I thought they were headed in a direction that would have left me w/ some emotion for the Jeff Bridges character(Cockburn?). When they were at the camp fire and he was starting to lose it and the girl was showing signs of doubt I thought they could have had her go w/ Matt Damon.

Cockburn, for all his bluster in the beginning liked what he did and actually did want to help her. So if in the end, he didnt give up and he was following them all along and ended up saving the day it would have been a sweet moment. And if he died in the process that could have been a pretty sad ending. If he went before she had a chance to say thank you or goodbye

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The Fighter 8 out of 10

I really liked the show, a lot. Christain Bale absolutely stole the show in his role as Dicky. The show is supposed to be about Micky Ward, and his fighting career, and really it just feels all through the movie like it's really more about Dicky and his life and struggles, and that's simply because Bale absolutely steals the movie in his role. Brilliant job, IMO.

Absolutely a show worth watching.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ethiostar;3821851 said:
Red--------6.5/10

It was entertaining.

The American------7/10

I didn't know much about this movie until i actually watched it. It was not bad, although the ending was a little weak.

American was weak in the end, the love interest is super hot though.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3826290 said:
Black Swan - 7/10.

Kind of surprised I rated it that high. Portman gives a brilliant performance, and her Oscar will be well deserved, and really her performance may be the biggest reason for the rating. I don't typically care for Aronofsky (This is definitely my favorite of his films), and I certainly don't care a lick about ballet, but found myself drawn into this movie about a performer being dragged by her insecurities and the pressure of her role to the breaking point and beyond.

I would have liked a little more insight into the past of Portman's character. It is hinted at slightly by her mother, but is never delved into. And I also am curious what happened to the character after the ending. There are several ways it could develop from there, with the most obvious being the course that follows the film's similarities to the ballet being performed. I don't think adding this would make the movie any better, it's just me being curious and wanting to know.

the sublime scene between Mila Kunis and Portman alone makes it a 10 out of 10 movie.