Rate the last movie you saw

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
nyc;3897029 said:
Explain. I am reading the book with the plans to watch the movie afterwards. So far, I've been pretty pleased with the book.

Just wasn't that great.

Very predictable, so-so acting and just wasn't all that intriguing.

Also, Ryan Phillipe continued to prove that he is one the worst actors in Hollywood at the moment, along with Hayden Christensen.

I agree with everyone else about Splice. I walked out of the theater halfway through, just couldn't take it anymore.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3897287 said:
Just wasn't that great.

Also, Ryan Phillipe continued to prove that he is one the worst actors in Hollywood at the moment, along with Hayden Christensen.

I agree with everyone else about Splice. I walked out of the theater halfway through, just couldn't take it anymore.

Who did he play? Louis Roulet?

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
Just watched Pirate Radio on the tube. I don't know if anyone has reviewed it here before, but I give it an 8/10. The music made me nostalgic, but the characters made me laugh out loud. Maybe it was just me, but I loved it. The language might be an issue for some, but it fit the film.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Phrozen Phil;3897323 said:
Just watched Pirate Radio on the tube. I don't know if anyone has reviewed it here before, but I give it an 8/10. The music made me nostalgic, but the characters made me laugh out loud. Maybe it was just me, but I loved it. The language might be an issue for some, but it fit the film.

I liked it, don't think I would buy the DVD but I liked it.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
SuckerPunch - 8/10

For all the heat the plot of the movie took, I thought it was fine. Nothing groundbreaking, but if you saw and enjoyed 300 and then don't like this movie because the plot isn't deep enough, you are a hypocrite.

This was pretty much 300 with chicks, and I enjoyed it on the strength of that alone. The action is crazy, the battles are epic, the acting is surprisingly good.

Two things I absolutely hated:

1) The fake russian/polish accent used by Carla Gugino (Dr. Gorski), there was no reason for it and it got on my nerves real quick.

2) Vanessa Hudgens. She's terrible. The scene of her crying to Gorski was the worst scene in the entire movie.

Neither Hudgens nor Jon Hamm needed to be in this movie, but if I had to pick, I'd have put Hudgens in a burlap sack and thrown her in a river and let Hamm dress up in drag to play her role, that's how much I hated Hudgens.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3897416 said:
SuckerPunch - 8/10

For all the heat the plot of the movie took, I thought it was fine. Nothing groundbreaking, but if you saw and enjoyed 300 and then don't like this movie because the plot isn't deep enough, you are a hypocrite.

This was pretty much 300 with chicks, and I enjoyed it on the strength of that alone. The action is crazy, the battles are epic, the acting is surprisingly good.

1) The fake russian/polish accent used by Carla Gugino (Dr. Gorski), there was no reason for it and it got on my nerves real quick.

2) Vanessa Hudgens. She's terrible. The scene of her crying to Gorski was the worst scene in the entire movie.

Neither Hudgens nor Jon Hamm needed to be in this movie, but if I had to pick, I'd have put Hudgens in a burlap sack and thrown her in a river and let Hamm dress up in drag to play her role, that's how much I hated Hudgens.
Gugino's accent was wack, but she worn the hell out of that dance instructor outfit. ;) :D

Hudgens' character was the weakest, but I'm not certain if anyone could have played her role much better than she did. What she had to work with was pretty sparse to begin with. Still, I wouldn't have minded if Blondie had gotten offed in the train instead of Rocket.

Glad to see someone else who enjoyed the movie. Like you mentioned, this was more like 300 than anything else. Removed all the abstract symbolism which recounts Baby Doll's five days in the santatarium (sp?) and where does that leave the movie? Answer: something completely different.

My prediction? It's going to be a regular staple on pay per view cable for many years to come (probably on Starz mostly :p: ).

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
The Lincoln Lawyer....7/10

My girlfriend really wanted to see this, so I was dragged to the movie. I was pleasantly surprised. I liked this movie. I though Ryan Philipe did a good job. Mathew Mcchohoweveryouspellit was his typical self. Not good, not bad.

Let me in...1/10

The 1 is like the free points you get on the SAT for writing your name. Watched the first 20 mintutes, then turned it off. So horrible. Everyone whispers the whole time, it's slow, and the from what I saw, the entire movie is a tan/beige color. Horrible.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TheCount;3897416 said:
SuckerPunch - 8/10

Couldn't disagree more...except for #1 and #2. I can't compare this to 300 in anyway except for some visual stylings.

300 may have had a simple story, but it was executed well, and the action was integral to the story being told. In SP, the music videos were irrelevant (The characters were irrelevant as well).

Disclaimer: To appease the hypocritical amongst us, I must offer up the obligatory "IMO."

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
DallasEast;3897470 said:
Gugino's accent was wack, but she worn the hell out of that dance instructor outfit. ;) :D

Hudgens' character was the weakest, but I'm not certain if anyone could have played her role much better than she did. What she had to work with was pretty sparse to begin with. Still, I wouldn't have minded if Blondie had gotten offed in the train instead of Rocket.

Glad to see someone else who enjoyed the movie. Like you mentioned, this was more like 300 than anything else. Removed all the abstract symbolism which recounts Baby Doll's five days in the santatarium (sp?) and where does that leave the movie? Answer: something completely different.

My prediction? It's going to be a regular staple on pay per view cable for many years to come (probably on Starz mostly :p: ).

lol, spoiler alert! I assume some people haven't seen it yet! :laugh2:

Maybe you're right about Blondie, but man, Hudgens' was driving me nuts. Especially her huge fake wig. :D

ChldsPlay;3897906 said:
Couldn't disagree more...except for #1 and #2. I can't compare this to 300 in anyway except for some visual stylings.

300 may have had a simple story, but it was executed well, and the action was integral to the story being told. In SP, the music videos were irrelevant (The characters were irrelevant as well).

Disclaimer: To appease the hypocritical amongst us, I must offer up the obligatory "IMO."

That's not a problem, I thought it was fine and have no problem with those that thought otherwise. I went to see it for the action, and there was plenty of that.

I just think the idea that the plot took away from the movie is ridiculous when you see a trailer where a giant samurai is firing a gatling gun at a blonde girl in a miniskirt.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TheCount;3898014 said:

Maybe you're right about Blondie, but man, Hudgens' was driving me nuts. Especially her huge fake wig. :D

That's not a problem, I thought it was fine and have no problem with those that thought otherwise. I went to see it for the action, and there was plenty of that.

I just think the idea that the plot took away from the movie is ridiculous when you see a trailer where a giant samurai is firing a gatling gun at a blonde girl in a miniskirt.

See, I can understand liking it on the visual/action level, even if I don't feel the same. There are some absurd attempts at defending the plot as some deep and layered masterpiece out there that are laughable though.

But for me, I didn't even enjoy it at that base level. A big part of that was the awful way the music was blaring over the top of it all. But the main reason is because it really didn't have anything to do with what was going on in the movie, there wasn't any significance to what happened in the sequences, and no danger, and thus no tension. And, even if none of that was true, I still don't think it would have made much difference because I didn't care about any of the "characters" in the slightest. So in the end, even though it was amazing visually, it ultimately felt pointless and boring.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;3898014 said:

Whoops! My bad! My apologies to anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet about the slip up.

Her wig actually did the job for me. For a few moments initially, I caught myself asking who she was even though I knew her going into the movie. Still, the color of the wig and her character's name is hilarious to me. :p:
TheCount;3898014 said:

:muttley: :thumbup:

joseephuss

Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3897287 said:
Just wasn't that great.

I thought they were the same guy.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Finally saw The Town. 8/10

Very well done. Great story. Best robbery movie since Heat.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
The Next Three Days: 8/10

I'm a sucker for heist films and this played out a lot like one. I was genuinely worried about how the getaway would play out.

I think what helped that is that the issue of guilt is never addressed until pretty much the end of the movie, so you aren't sure if he's helping a murderer get away or not.

Definitely one I'd recommend.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
TheCount;3899157 said:
The Next Three Days: 8/10

I'm a sucker for heist films and this played out a lot like one. I was genuinely worried about how the getaway would play out.

I think what helped that is that the issue of guilt is never addressed until pretty much the end of the movie, so you aren't sure if he's helping a murderer get away or not.

Definitely one I'd recommend.

I think it would have been better if that scene at the end hadn't been included and so the viewer never could be sure.

MarionBarberThe4th

Reaction score
Im the biggest Danny McBride fan, I think hes the next best thing. James Franco has some good moments in comedies and Natalie Portman isnt dead weight or anything.

I think Ill like that but thats a rough genre for a comedy. People might get scared off by Year One

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
did-3.jpg

9.5/10.0

I re-watched it again last night on cable. It's still a classic even after all this time.

* OLD OLD OLD SPOILER ALERT *

If there was one thing I would change about Kubrick's masterpiece, it would be having HAL somehow finding a way to electronically hack into the pod so that he could hear Frank and Dave's plot to disconnect his higher computer functions. If the premise that the HAL9000 was the most intelligent computer ever made, why have Dave direct Frank inside the pod, ask HAL to rotate the pod so that its window viewport is facing HAL's camera eye and then turn off all the communication devices INSIDE the pod?

How could the two men have a totally secret conversation about HAL if HAL was provided the opportunity of reading their lips THROUGH the window viewport? It's the most intelligent computer ever made!!! duh. :p: