Rate the last movie you saw

Stautner

Reaction score
theogt;3904295 said:
I'm a huge boxing fan and typically hate boxing movies because the fight scenes are so unrealistic. While they made the fight scenes a little too lopsided in The Fighter, it has by far the most realistic boxing scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Granted, that's a pretty low bar to cross.

They basically just kind of passed over the boxing scenes, just showing glimpses during the fights. Some of the glimpses didn't seem that realistic, but again, I din't think they wanted to make the boxing scenes the focus of the movie, nor should they have. I agree that at least in this way they were able to maintain some degree of realism - not so much because the scenes were so realistic, but because they weren't as unrealitic as they would have been had they focused more on the fights.

The Rocky movies (1st 2 anyway) were good simply because of the underdog angle, but the fight scenes weren't even close to realistic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mldardy;3904021 said:
I remember seeing this movie in the theaters and a person in the crowd yelled out 'oh just put him out of his misery already' at the scene involving Clarence Williams III towards the end.
I would say that he's done his job as an actor then. :) ***DIFFERENT MOVIE/SPOILER ALERT*** All the while I was watching Cloverfield, I kept saying to myself, "Will the best friend with the camcorder die already??" He was that annoying. When the monster finally decided to chow down on him, I almost applauded. Whenever an actor or actress can get under your skin, he or she should be commended for a job well done. Just my opinion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stautner;3904306 said:
They basically just kind of passed over the boxing scenes, just showing glimpses during the fights. Some of the glimpses didn't seem that realistic, but again, I din't think they wanted to make the boxing scenes the focus of the movie, nor should they have. I agree that at least in this way they were able to maintain some degree of realism - not so much because the scenes were so realistic, but because they weren't as unrealitic as they would have been had they focused more on the fights.

The Rocky movies (1st 2 anyway) were good simply because of the underdog angle, but the fight scenes weren't even close to realistic.
They were slightly glossy, but I have always considered the boxing scenes done in Raging Bull as some of the best ever.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Stautner;3904306 said:

I seem to remember the boxing scenes in The Fighter lasting quite some time. Definitely more than just glimpses.

CowboyDan

Anger is a Gift
Reaction score
theogt;3904295 said:
I'm a huge boxing fan and typically hate boxing movies because the fight scenes are so unrealistic. While they made the fight scenes a little too lopsided in The Fighter, it has by far the most realistic boxing scenes I've ever seen in a movie. Granted, that's a pretty low bar to cross.

I thought Ali had the most realistic boxing fight scenes I've seen. I thought The Fighter looked a little too much like Rocky.

Stautner

Reaction score
theogt;3904334 said:
I seem to remember the boxing scenes in The Fighter lasting quite some time. Definitely more than just glimpses.

I'm not trying to say that some of the fights didn't last awhile, just that the boxing portions jumped arojnd from shot to shot pretty quickly. The fight scenes for the most part weren't really with the camera pulled back where you could see both fighters in a continuous stream of movement, jabs, punches etc .... The camera angles were typically very close up and showed a few punches then cut away to another angle or another part of the fight, then showed a few puches and cut away again. In that way they didn;t have to work as hard to make the fighters look reasonable because the viewer wasn't seeing it as he would at ringside, he was seeing individual moments with the camera moving from one to the next. On the other hand, fights in Rocky might last 20-30 minutes (the longest in the fighter may have been 5-8), often with the camera pulled back so the viewer could see every movement of both fighters for long stretches. Carl Weathers did a good job looking like a fighter like that, but Stallone was questionable, and Mr. T looked like an uncoordinated idiot.

Cowboy Junkie

leonargized
Reaction score
TRADING PLACES----9/10

80s movie with Eddie Murphy, Dan Akryod (SP) , Jamie Lee Curtis and a few lines from Jim Belushi.

very entertaining and I miss movies like this

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3904810 said:
Devil - 4/10 - Seinfeld episodes come together in the end better than the M. Night movies

I could ask you why you watched it in the first place, but it seems like you know the errors of your ways.

I concur, btw.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Atlas Shrugged Part 1 - The acting and some of the dialog was a bit cheesy but overall I liked the movie. For me it is more about the message then anything else. Looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

7.5 / 10

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
bbgun;3910060 said:
True Grit 6/10

I dunno. I guess I expected more.

Umm, it would be nice if you told us WHICH version of True Grit you watched. :laugh2:

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;3910119 said:
Umm, it would be nice if you told us WHICH version of True Grit you watched. :laugh2:

Modern. The little girl was as good as advertised, but not enough to carry a whole movie.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
casmith07;3909658 said:
I'm about to watch Due Date. I'll update the board when I'm done :)

My favorite line in the movie: Dad, you were like a father to me :p

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
MarionBarberThe4th;3904810 said:
Devil - 4/10 - Seinfeld episodes come together in the end better than the M. Night movies

Night actually had almost nothing to do with the movie.

I didn't know this, but he started a production company to help horror/suspense writers get major releases.

Devil was the first movie produced under that company and Night just signed on as producer to get it more press, but it was written, directed, etc by someone else.

The movie was terrible and I'm as sick of Night as anyone, but he probably shouldn't be hanged for this one.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Anyone see Scream 4? I'm a little hesitant to pay full admission price for this movie..

urface59

Reaction score
bbgun;3910060 said:
True Grit 6/10

I dunno. I guess I expected more.

What masterpieces have you been watching everyday to make true grit a 6? that movie was as good as a movie can get