Rate the last movie you saw

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
VietCowboy;3964363 said:
Hangover 2 7.5 / 10 - laughed my head off. They walked that fine line regarding some of the more explicit materials.
I agree on the rating. But they didn't walk any fine lines. It took a running triple jump over the line. ;)

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gran Torino... 8/10... It was on TNT tonight.

Familiar plot, crusty, inappropriate old guy impacts youth.

The ending was unexpected, which made me tear up.

Going to see X-Men tomorrow..

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3966226 said:
Gran Torino... 8/10... It was on TNT tonight.

Familiar plot, crusty, inappropriate old guy impacts youth.

The ending was unexpected, which made me tear up.

Going to see X-Men tomorrow..

Gran Torino is EASILY top ten for me. I won't lie, I teared up at the end a little. Great, GREAT movie.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
X-men: First Class - 9.5/10

It's up there as one of the best superhero movies. It's damn near perfection.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
theogt;3966232 said:

The funny thing about first class is that when they first announced it, I thought they were just gonna give xmen the twilight treatment. What a great surprise that it actually turned out to be a good movie.

And since they didn't cast a bunch of stars in it, they can actually do a franchise.

kmp77

Reaction score
theogt;3966232 said:

Yup! Better than the previous ones. Awesome acting, story and action. This is a lot closer to the X-Men from the comics than the previous films. I thought the weak link would be January Jones but even her character was cool. James Mcavoy was another concern early on, but he's great. Azazel, man, usually I don't root for the bad buys but I loved every scene he was in, pure bad-a! I can't wait for sequels! This movie has some of the best scenes in cinema history...best death (end scene) and best use of the F word!

The only thing I don't like is the previous 3 movies painted this movie into a corner. I read Vauhn wants Cable in the 2nd movie. If anyone doesn't know who he is, he's a time traveler from the future and the son of Scott Summers and Madelyne Pryor (clone of jean grey) from the first 3 movies. So hopefully they use Cable to split the timeline off into their own alternate timeline similar to what they did with Star Trek when he comes back to visit Professor X. So they can go their own way and stop trying to shoehorn the original movies into this series.

x_men_cable.jpg

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
kmp77;3966348 said:
Yup! Better than the previous ones. Awesome acting, story and action. This is a lot closer to the X-Men from the comics than the previous films. I thought the weak link would be January Jones but even her character was cool. James Mcavoy was another concern early on, but he's great. Azazel, man, usually I don't root for the bad buys but I loved every scene he was in, pure bad-a! I can't wait for sequels! This movie has some of the best scenes in cinema history...best death (end scene) and best use of the F word!

The only thing I don't like is the previous 3 movies painted this movie into a corner. I read Vauhn wants Cable in the 2nd movie. If anyone doesn't know who he is, he's a time traveler from the future and the son of Scott Summers and Madelyne Pryor (clone of jean grey) from the first 3 movies. So hopefully they use Cable to split the timeline off into their own alternate timeline similar to what they did with Star Trek when he comes back to visit Professor X. So they can go their own way and stop trying to shoehorn the original movies into this series.
January Jones is probably the only reason I didn't give it a 10/10. I'm a HUGE McAvoy fan, so with the combination of him and Vaughan, I had pretty high hopes for the film.

Definitely the best use of the "F word."

Kevinicus

Reaction score
X-Men: First Class - 8.5/10. Took it's time to develop the characters and to expand on their motivations, not just their powers, and had an incredible climax and conclusion.

Things keeping it from a 10/10: Earlier parts of the movie seemed rushed to me. The kid playing young Erik did not have a very good performance and almost ruined that scene for me. Would have liked a little more on where Shaw's past and where he was coming from. The girl with the wings just seemed kind of stupid to me.

Best movie of the year thus far.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ChldsPlay;3966495 said:
and had an incredible climax and conclusion.
****SPOILERS*****

I felt oddly moved by the beach scene with Charles at the end. I say oddly because it's an obvious event, and really we never see much of Charles without his paralysis (in the comics or the movies), so there's not much expectation otherwise. But McAvoy and Fassbender have you so invested in the characters it was more than just an inevitable plot point -- it actually felt depressing with fear and dread that he had actually lost feeling in his legs. That's good story telling. Even when you know what's coming, it's still gripping.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ChldsPlay;3966495 said:
X-Men: First Class - 8.5/10. Took it's time to develop the characters and to expand on their motivations, not just their powers, and had an incredible climax and conclusion.

Things keeping it from a 10/10: Earlier parts of the movie seemed rushed to me. The kid playing young Erik did not have a very good performance and almost ruined that scene for me. Would have liked a little more on where Shaw's past and where he was coming from. The girl with the wings just seemed kind of stupid to me.

Best movie of the year thus far.
I pretty much agree with all your points.

There was only one point in the movie where I had a question about and I had to call my sister to find out what it was.

I won't add the more obvious spoiler, but it was definitely one of the more funnier scenes in the movie.

There were a couple of cheesy points in the movie that I didn't like...just kinda made me roll my eyes.

Overall, the best $2.50 I've spent in awhile. Matinee + cheap movie theater=winning

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
Hangover II 7/10 - Second crazy verse, same as the first.

X-men: First Class 9/10 - My new best superhero film, bypassing Batman Begins. The only knock for me is that I didn't really care about the supporting team members. Best recruitment fail scene ever.

kmp77

Reaction score
jimmy40;3966560 said:
The Warriors 10/10

[youtube]V-OYKd8SVrI[/youtube]

I just watched this again the other night. So ahead of it's time. So much style for the time period. I think they're trying to remake this one but I don't see how. Don't think the same movie would fly now.

kmp77

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3966529 said:
Overall, the best $2.50 I've spent in awhile. Matinee + cheap movie theater=winning

Is this in some guy's basement? Do they stop the movie every 15 minutes to show an ad? What kind of theater can show a movie for $2.50?!?!?!?!?!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boom;3966558 said:
Hangover II 7/10 - Second crazy verse, same as the first.

X-men: First Class 9/10 - My new best superhero film, bypassing Batman Begins. The only knock for me is that I didn't really care about the supporting team members. Best recruitment fail scene ever.
Yeah, I don't think too many people cared about the recruits much until towards the end.

kmp77;3966583 said:
Is this in some guy's basement? Do they stop the movie every 15 minutes to show an ad? What kind of theater can show a movie for $2.50?!?!?!?!?!

:eek: :eek: :eek:
Ha! There's a 6-screen movie theater in the older part of Pearland. Matinee 2.50...Regular 4.50. Only movie theater I'll go to now. If a new release doesn't show there, then I don't see it. The big AMC 30 that's literally 5 mins from my house is regular $9. They haven't seen a dime of my money in years.

VietCowboy

Be Realistic. Demand the Impossible.
Reaction score
X-Men First Class 6/10. It was decent, cool characters, just sucky cliched predictable dialogue.

Saw Bridesmaids again, holy wow, there were like 3 empty seats in the entire room. Still funny!

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
The Mechanic (2011) 7/10

You could see two major plot developments coming from a mile away, but it was still enjoyable for a shoot 'em up movie.

http://img15.*************/img15/4370/themechanic2011externea.jpg

Boom

Just Dez It
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3966593 said:
Yeah, I don't think too many people cared about the recruits much until towards the end.

Speaking of the end, for those who haven't watched it yet, there's no need to stick around for a bonus scene after the credits.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
theogt;3966232 said:

Same rating for me. That movie was great. Up there with TDK and Batman Begins as the best super hero movies.

The only thing that was tough for me was Kevin Bacon as the bad guy. I'm not saying he did a bad job, I think he did great. Just hard for me to take him seriously, haha.