Rate the last movie you saw

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4002535 said:
I could not even get into leatherheads.

I never watched Leatherheads (never cared to), but "Up in the Air" was just horrific. Thanks for the heads up on "The American", We Tivo'd that last night and I can let the wife watch it while I read "A Storm of Swords". I'm over halfway through and am having a hard time putting it down anyways.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Joe Rod;4002611 said:
I never watched Leatherheads (never cared to), but "Up in the Air" was just horrific. Thanks for the heads up on "The American", We Tivo'd that last night and I can let the wife watch it while I read "A Storm of Swords". I'm over halfway through and am having a hard time putting it down anyways.

Just finished Clash of kings...Those last few hundred pages were page burners. Now I got to wait to get the next book cause I have been borrowing them from a friend and there is another person before me reading them. Arggh...might have to break down and buy them.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4002613 said:
Just finished Clash of kings...Those last few hundred pages were page burners. Now I got to wait to get the next book cause I have been borrowing them from a friend and there is another person before me reading them. Arggh...might have to break down and buy them.

This one has been going at about the same pace as the last third of COK. Furious pace and difficult to put down.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4002613 said:

I would buy it if I were you. ASoS is the best one. You won't regret it.

TheCowboy

Reaction score
Sanctum- First quarter of the movie was boring but the rest was very suspenseful. It did seem that some of the background shots were too obviously fake. A good movie otherwise. 8/10

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4002613 said:

Damn, I hardly ever have time to read. I think we were both at the 500 page point not long ago and you've finished. I'm still just over 700 pages in.

I think I'm going to hold off before I start the third one though. I just bought another book that looks very interesting. The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - 4/10

I thought the movie was a disaster in terms of pacing, and for the life of me, I still can't keep the damn transformers straight. (Note I was only a casual fan of the original cartoon growing up, maybe they are more obvious to those that followed closely)

Was it just me, or is Sam a bit of a d-bag through most of the movie? Also, did the part in the building must have taken up 20-30 minutes, for absolutely no reason.

A lot fo the characters were simply inconsistent, like they were playing two completely different people. John Malkovich went from insane, workplace tyrant who doesn't care that one of his workers just committed suicide to begging to see Bumblebee and giggling on the floor as a result.

The story was just jumping from place to place and a couple of times I found myself trying hard to remember what had just happened for the characters to end up in a certain predicament and not being able to recall.

Luckily I was kind of expecting a disaster from the standpoint of directing, so none of that shocked me. The special effects were top notch, as was the sound and the 3D made it even more fun if you just let the special effects wash over you and stopped trying to make sense of the story.

I wouldn't see it again, but glad I got to enjoy the special effects on the big screen.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4002447 said:
The American with George Clooney. Might have been the slowest movie I have watched in a long time. Really a boring movie...even the action scenes seemed to be slow.

Try reading the book. It's 100x worse, in terms of how slow it is.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;4003006 said:
Damn, I hardly ever have time to read. I think we were both at the 500 page point not long ago and you've finished. I'm still just over 700 pages in.

I think I'm going to hold off before I start the third one though. I just bought another book that looks very interesting. The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene.

Yeah I normally just read a little each night but it started getting so good I read a lot more than normal and finished it.

Dodger

Indomitable
Reaction score
Captain America - 2.5/4

Bottom Line: Entertaining but there's nothing noteworthy here.

I found the story elements to be somewhat minimal. The script followed the story of Captain America for the most part, but it's still pretty basic, and the acting is just okay. The first half of the film, I thought, was the stronger half where we are introduced to Steve Rogers and then witness how he becomes CA, but even so, it's kind of...well...somewhat boring as many of these superhero "origin" movies go. It's not that I'm demanding not-stop excitement. I just want something a bit more compelling, and this isn't it.

The second half is pretty much CA beating the crap out of *****. There's really not much else to it. Even the Red Skull is kind of weakly developed. He's nasty and evil, but only for the sake of being nasty and evil. He's not much more than a cardboard figure.

The effects are good, though, as expected. Overall, I was hoping for more, but that's just me. I want a good story to go with the shooting and blowing **** up, but if that's all you're looking for, you'll like this film.

jimmy40

Reaction score
TheCount;3989972 said:
I've never really gotten the fascination with Jennifer Aniston, obviously she's got a nice body but she's about as dull as a cardboard box.
well, at least her acting sucks.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;4006980 said:
The Eagle 5/10 kinda boring.

Agreed.

Cowboys & Aliens - 5.5/10. Also kinda boring. Terrible pacing ruins some potentially interesting characters. There's a lot of cliche moments at the end which one can see coming way early in the movie. A lot of the action is in the trailers and isn't all that exciting really until a little bit at the end. A little humor here and there, but the enjoyable parts are too far apart and the film drags. I actually almost fell asleep.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
Finally saw The Hurt Locker last night after HEB had it on sale for $4.99. A work acquaintance raved about it, but he called his girlfriend who looked a LOT like Gollum "really hot".

Give it a 6/10 for the first time viewing. I thought there were some great scenes like where he was in the cereal aisle of the grocery store without an idea of what to do or what to pick.

That scene right there was probably one of the best in the movie, considering the interviews I've done with a few OIF vets. They come home to the world they grew up in, but it's completely foreign to them now.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Harry Potter The Deathly Hallows 2. 7/10
when they showed the students all marching in line I was waiting to hear Roger Waters start singing.

urface59

Reaction score
jimmy40;4019863 said:
Harry Potter The Deathly Hallows 2. 7/10
when they showed the students all marching in line I was waiting to hear Roger Waters start singing.

I thought of that when Snape had all the students gathered to interrogate them on where Harry was, and all the kids heads are down staring at the floor. I was hoping it'd go all musical on us with the kids quietly starting to chant the brick in the wall pt 2 chorus, slowly raising their voices in defiance until ole Alan Rickman fled in fear. :laugh2:

jimmy40

Reaction score
urface59;4019917 said:
I thought of that when Snape had all the students gathered to interrogate them on where Harry was, and all the kids heads are down staring at the floor. I was hoping it'd go all musical on us with the kids quietly starting to chant the brick in the wall pt 2 chorus, slowly raising their voices in defiance until ole Alan Rickman fled in fear. :laugh2:
:laugh2: I knew there had to be other people that thought same thing, I mean I thought about it immediately.

Reaction score
The Adjustment Bureau 9/10

Fantastic movie, definitely recommended to anyone who likes suspense, mystery, or thriller.

ethiostar

Reaction score
Cowboys Fan NJ;4020606 said:
The Adjustment Bureau 9/10

Fantastic movie, definitely recommended to anyone who likes suspense, mystery, or thriller.

I just watched it last night and I wasn't as impressed by it as you. I think it started out great but the second half was a bit loose IMO.

6.5 or 7 out of 10 for me.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Captain America -- 6/10

Cheesy as hell. But still mildly entertaining. Worthwhile if you're bored, but I wouldn't seek out the movie.