Rate the last movie you saw

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
hmm.

Fiction is often reflective of writers' individual worldview. Throughout its nearly 60-year history, Marvel Comics has practically specialized in the creation of flawed characters.

Black Panther is not an exception of Marvel's philosophy. Thousands of years of human history has birthed monarchs who are not the wisest, strongest, best qualified, etc. I would agree with you that T'Challa is flawed in these areas but would also point out that one would be hard pressed to find another character under the Marvel banner who is not similarly flawed--whether they be royalty or not. Take Thor for example--heir to throne of Asgard. Thor is flawed but strives to not only be a capable successor to Odin but also protector of Midgard.

Similarly, T'Challa's case may be just as simple to explain. He is his father's successor, who was regarded as a strong and powerful Black Panther in his own right but we, the movie audience, learned was self-confessed as a very flawed king himself. In either case, the mantle of Black Panther is handed down much like any other royal succession, with the component of combat being a variable.
You make excellent points...........Overruled! :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He got his butt kicked by Killmonger.
This cannot be the first movie you have ever seen where the hero, super or not, is first defeated by the villain (sometimes convincingly) and then triumphs over the villain at the end.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This cannot be the first movie you have ever seen where the hero, super or not, is first defeated by the villain (sometimes convincingly) and then triumphs over the villain at the end.
Of course not. Is that an argument for the story or against it? :grin:

FineFan

Reaction score
Last movie I watched, "Paradox." A time travel movie. They traveled one hour into the future, and it was total chaos. I give it 6 stars
:star::star::star::star::star::star:

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Spoiler...
They were not aliens.
Well I figured it wasn’t really that. But all the same...it just wasn’t as good as it should have been. I love Pena ...enjoy his movies. Tell ya what? I’ll do a rescreening in 20 minutes,and go the full distance this time. But I’m right about the score and explosions. They needed that to sell the windows and stuff blowing out,and amp up the suspense.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Well I figured it wasn’t really that. But all the same...it just wasn’t as good as it should have been. I love Pena ...enjoy his movies. Tell ya what? I’ll do a rescreening in 20 minutes,and go the full distance this time. But I’m right about the score and explosions. They needed that to sell the windows and stuff blowing out,and amp up the suspense.
Ok...rewatched “Extinction” from 15 minutes in till end. The story is good,but it’s too made for TV feeling. I need some more cow bell.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It is a safe assumption that it is an argument for the story. The formula has been successful for a long time in cinema.
Isn't that what's referred to as "formulaic"?

You made some good points earlier, and if I ever watch it again when it comes around on TV, I'll try to keep this points in mind, but I don't think I'll ever put it on the level as most of the other Marvel movies.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't that what's referred to as "formulaic"?
Well, films are a product of Hollywood after all. :laugh:It is not a lie MCU franchise movies have been criticized as predictable (James Cameron anyone :rolleyes: ) but that determination does not negate the fact an overwhelming number of them, including Black Panther, have been extremely popular with the majority--not entire but majority--of their audiences. Formulaic has not been a negative aspect for most (although not all) viewers but a positive one.
You made some good points earlier, and if I ever watch it again when it comes around on TV, I'll try to keep this points in mind, but I don't think I'll ever put it on the level as most of the other Marvel movies.
Personally, I came to respect the varied opinions people have about many things. Humanity embodies diversity of thought. My personal epiphany does not bind me to acceptance of others' perspectives. Just understanding.

Movies are a form of entertainment that are never actually enjoyed universally the same by every viewer. Heck, people do not appreciate classics like Citizen Kane exactly the same. Took awhile for me to wrap my mind around that fact but everyone does not see movies with the same inner lens.

So your not placing Black Panther on the same pedestal with most Marvel movies is understood. Some agree with your stance. Others do not. I belong with the latter group. In the grand scheme, the world did not explode. Existence continues. Movie fans wait for future movies' release. Some will love the 'next big thing' to hit theaters. Others will dislike it. A few will go, "meh." Definitely

tenor.gif

:p

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol
  • Captain America without the super-soldier serum (98 pound weakling)
  • Thor, stripped of his demi-godhood by Odin (The Destroyer backhanded him into next week)
  • Ant-Man and The Wasp cannot shrink or grow without Pym particles and that is before omitting their suits
  • Gamora would have died in the vacuum of space if Star-Lord did not have his all-purpose helmet gadget
  • Doctor Strange could not be the Sorcerer Supreme without, well, sorcery
  • Scarlet Witch would still be the best-looking Olsen sister without her hex powers.
Could continue what you started but your point was well-made before I butted in. Just solely sticking with the MCU theme, one could elevate Hawkeye or Black Widow as two examples of a small contingent of heroes without a special ability or technology crutch. Both are excellent hand-to-hand fighters. Natasha is a world class spy. Clint would still be deadly with ordinary bow and arrows.

Could get really interesting if we expanded outside the MCU. Wolverine is super deadly as is but his adamantium (sp?) makes him the perfect killing machine. Logan calling Xavier 'Wheels' would be fitting if the Professor did not have telepathy. Jump over to DC. Kal-El would be just another Joe Six-Pack Kryptonian if he lived under a red sun. :p
Popeye without spinach.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Witch (2015)

9/10.

A Puritan family is excommunicated from their settlement and forced to move out on their own. Great acting by the children, a good script, and great score. I really liked the movie. It didn't resort to cheap scares, while making it slightly scary. It is on Netflix.

paladin

Reaction score
A Man Who Would Be King.
Classic buddy flick with Sean Connery and Michael Caine.
Two rogues travel to unknown lands to make themselves emperors.
Perhaps my favorite movie of all time.
9/10

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quick question about Black Panther...does anyone else find it slow at the beginning? Maybe it was because I tried watching it late at night, but I couldn't make it passed the first 15 minutes. Plan on giving it another shot, but wondered if others had the same opinion.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think of Robin Williams any time someone mentions Popeye. To this very day I do not believe there was another actress in the WORLD who could have played Olive Oyl remotely as well Shelley Duvall. She was freaking born for that role. :muttley:

Agreed...there did not have to be any major props, makeup or anything...She just always looked like her IMO.

With that said...that may have been one of the worst movies ever...especially with Robin Williams in it. Even he could not carry that turd of a movie.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Ok..“Hereditary” -‘18 Even though I knew this was good,been waiting around to view. Kept me glued and on edge the whole time. Thumbs up