Rate the last movie you saw

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watching a number of "horror" movies this month.
Found a few reviews of various horror movies on Netflix that are said to be ok so the wife and I have been trying to watch one a day although we have skipped a few days.

One I did like was on HBO or Cinemax...

Insidious 3: The Last Key - I think I have liked all three of these movies. I would not say they are all great but I have liked them. This one was good, again not great, but I did like the "demon" in this one and some of the things it would do. Kind of cool and different. Plus if you liked the other two it goes into some back history of the lady in the first two.

I think the rest of these are all on Netflix. Also have to keep in mind that we have been watching these around 5pm and normally that time of day I have not been home long from work, probably have ate or eating during the movie and at that time of the day while sitting in my chair at home I find it very hard to stay awake so there are times I might nod off for a minute here and there and if the movie is really boring I might nod off longer lol.

1. The Last Shift - One lone police officer is tasked to stay the last night in an office that is closing. She is basically playing a security officer while the New office is starting and before the old one officially closes. Next thing you know she is getting strange calls, a homeless man keeps showing up, she starts seeing strange things and so on. I think it is trying to be linked to the manson family members or something but frankly it was so slow and I was so tired that I could not stay awake and the wife will normally sit through these while messing around on her phone but even she tapped out. So we never finished it. Have seen reviews where many liked it...We were not one of them.

2. Malevolent - Foreign film. Irish I think. Group of younger college age kids basically claim to be ghost hunter types that are making things up for the work/money. One girl is supposed to act like she has the gift to communicate with the dead. After a short time they find out that it is no longer pretend. Frankly neither of us gave this a chance and quit it early on. I think we both had some other stuff to do and just never got back to it. I imagine it got a little better but what we say was not that good.

3. Hold the Dark - Again...I feel asleep through a bit of it. It was kind of good and kind of bad. Just kind of weird. Basic Premise is that a woman's husband is off in the war. She lives in a rural area (alaska maybe) and belives that wolves took her son. She writes to a writer who specializes in learning about wolves to come to her house and track them down to see if he can find her son for closure or to kill the wolves. Well the husband comes back later and all kinds of weird things start happening. Some might like it. The wife said it was ok but the ending was weird.

4. Emelie - Parents with three younger children hire a new babysitter to watch their kids while they go out to celebrate their anniversary. Things start out of OK. Then things start happening and you find out the babysitter is a little off.
This movie is not really gory and not really much horror to speak of, more of a thriller but I honestly have to say that there were two scenes in this movie (bathroom and video tape) that honestly just creeped me out. It actually made me cringe both times and I turned to the wife and said something along the lines of...that (insert bad word for the girl) is blanking creepy as hell lol. It is not a bad movie as long as you realize it is not really a horror movie, like a said more of a thriller. And if you watch it you will understand the creepiness of those two scenes I mentioned...just super cringe worthy things IMO.

5. The Apostle - Newer movie on Netflix. Set in the late 1800's I think. A father gets a message that some cult group is holding his daughter for ransom. The son goes to see if he can rescue her. These people live on an island and worship a deity that they call the Goddess or her. Small community that holds many secrets. Kind of reminds you of the Village (m Nights movie) in that they are off on their own island and there are many secret things. He starts finding new things as he goes. Kind of a twisted movie as it unfolds. It is long and is a bit slow in parts but I kind of liked it. The old woman was creepy looking, her servant or guardian was creepy as well but the worst were the two men who were to be the leaders of these people. This might be one that @MichaelWinicki would like.

6. The BabySitter - Not the one I wrote about earlier. I also may have brought this up months or a year ago as I just recently watched it again. Kind of a horror, kind of comedy. I think this is from the guy who made the Chuck tv series.
Young teenage boy unsure of himself has a cool baby sitter who is always nice to him. Until he finds out some terrible secret of what she is doing after he goes to sleep. Pretty good, teenage type fun romp movie for never hearing of it and I think I liked it just as much the second time as the first. In some ways it reminds me a little of Tucker and Dale vs Evil due to it being horror but really a comedy. If you have not seen it and just want a little something different...give it a try.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are at least 3 clown movies on netflix. I kind of reviewed two of them at one point in the past but will do a mini review of each now. I do this because I just watched one last night.

Stitches - In my last post I talked about Horror Comedy type movies like Tucker and Dale vs Evil. This is in that similar style. A Clown goes to a kids birthday party, the kids are acting like spoiled brats and at one point the clown trips in the kitchen and lands head first on a huge butcher knife that happens to be face up in dishwasher with the drawer that happens to be open. Years later the clown comes back to life to seek his revenge. This movie is set somewhere in Britain. the young kids are now high schoolers who are having a party in the house where the clown died. The movie is not all that funny. Could have been done much better but there are a few cool things like when the clown uses a balloon pump on one of the kids to blow his head up. All in all I kind of liked it for what it was but I had extremely low expectations before watching it.

Terrifier - I have talked about this one before. Recent movie that had a cheap straight to VHS 80's film feel about it. Guy dressed up as psycho clown that is apparently also part mime since he does not talk decides to go on a killing spree. Some really gross things with blood and gore and how he goes about killing some people but not well written or shot IMO. However I will say this...back in the 80-90's when bad guy movie icons were kind of a thing ala Jason, Michael and Freddy and people would sometimes openly cheer on the bad guys...You could see this happening with this character especially if you were with a bunch of people drinking and making a game out of it. You really have to like low budget gore movies to like this much and even then it might be a stretch but there were some ok parts in it.

Clown - Real original title here lol. The basic story is that a real estate agent was susposed to book a clown or have a big party for his child but forgot as he was working. Just so happens that he finds an old abandoned clown suit in one of the houses he was trying to sell. So he puts the costume on for the party. Later he finds out he can not remove the makeup and or nose from the costume. Turns out it is cursed. He cant get it off and as time passes he begins to become violent and you can figure out that it gets worse from that point on. For a lower budget movie I have never heard of...It was not terrible. I doubt I would watch it again and I also doubt I would buy it in a discount bin if I seen it but if there is nothing else on and you want something a little different you might want to watch it.

I guess you could have a netflix night and make it a clown night and watch all three. I would imagine for the serious movie you would like Clown the best. For the goriest it would be Terrifier and for the Comedy type movie it would be Stitches.

Overall I would rank them Stitches, Clown and Terrifier.

ON a slightly related note...if you happen to subscribe to channels on youtube (I do many for different categories like guns, fishing, boating, comedy, music and now this other channel) there is a guy that does Lists of different types of movies on netflix and some other similar services.

He tends to rate some of these movies a lot better than I would but at least he gives you a general idea of what they are about and might bring up a movie or two you end up liking that would not have normally given a chance.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT09qC2vwlbJvofZRIdLalg

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Watching a number of "horror" movies this month.
Found a few reviews of various horror movies on Netflix that are said to be ok so the wife and I have been trying to watch one a day although we have skipped a few days.

Have you watched that Haunting of Hill House yet? I was thinking of starting it.

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Have you watched that Haunting of Hill House yet? I was thinking of starting it.

Not yet.
I thought it was a movie at first but appears to be a series.

I think we will give it a try.
Might also see if she likes some of the earlier American Horror series. The early ones were pretty good.

She does seem to like the current purge show on USA channel...if you like the purge movies than you would like the current 10 episode show.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't care for so called "scary" movies, because they're usually pretty lame and have no real story.
The Haunting of Hill House has a pretty good story, and good effects. It even made me jump a little a few times. I won't divulge the ending, but it's one of those that some will love and some will hate. I fell in the middle.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care for so called "scary" movies, because they're usually pretty lame and have no real story.
The Haunting of Hill House has a pretty good story, and good effects. It even made me jump a little a few times. I won't divulge the ending, but it's one of those that some will love and some will hate. I fell in the middle.
Is that on Netflix?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do dig scary movies and really liked The Conjuring, Insidious and another couple that are really good are The Reaping and The Possession. Good stories and well acted.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes it is. One season, so far. Don't know if they're planning more, as the story was completed
Oh, horror people always leave one little thing dangling that we didn't notice.

It's like The Predator franchise. The first one looked over too but then they got cagey and sent them to Earth. Want more? OK lets send some earthlings to another planet.

Same with Alien. They just stayed at the party too long with the franchise.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do dig scary movies and really liked The Conjuring, Insidious and another couple that are really good is The Reaping and The Possession. Good stories and well acted.
I did like The Conjuring, possibly because it was based on a "true story". Insidious didn't impress me, because it seemed like the same old 'we can't build suspense, so scare 'em with loud noises and sudden shots of grotesque faces' type of horror film. That's what I dislike about most horror films. They're not scary, they're startling.
Gimme The Exorcist over anything made since...unless you count Aliens as a horror film.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Oh, horror people always leave one little thing dangling that we didn't notice.

It's like The Predator franchise. The first one looked over too but then they got cagey and sent them to Earth. Want more? OK lets send some earthlings to another planet.

Same with Alien. They just stayed at the party too long with the franchise.
Oh yeah, there are places they could go with it, like a prequel, or a new family. I'm just saying they didn't leave a cliffhanger, as most Netflix series do.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I did like The Conjuring, possibly because it was based on a "true story". Insidious didn't impress me, because it seemed like the same old 'we can't build suspense, so scare 'em with loud noises and sudden shots of grotesque faces' type of horror film. That's what I dislike about most horror films. They're not scary, they're startling.
Gimme The Exorcist over anything made since...unless you count Aliens as a horror film.
I do, Sci-Fi horror. The best ever and Aliens was great but more Sci-Fi action.

We saw Alien the week it came out and I had read the screenplay/novel the week before and was wondering how they were going to pull off that one scene. The theater was packed and when that little rascal popped out, about 30 people went up that aisle at "feets don't fail now" speed and few would return.

It was genius film making to not tell the cast what was going to happen with John Hurt so to register the shock better and muddying the audio to get the audience to lean in to try and hear better increased the tension.

They don't come any better than that and it's a shame they had to wreck it and by the same guy that made the original. I'll take AVP over anything they made after Aliens.

The other was Carpenter's The Thing. Pure joy. I am a creature feature guy and have been since I was a kid. I prefer that type horror to the slasher stuff, too damned close to real life. That's why I like the Stranger Things series. I like monsters that can hide and jump out with a "gotchya"!

Try The Possession and The Reaping, really well acted and written and The Reaping has some Exorcist element to it. Hilary Swank is really good in it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I do, Sci-Fi horror. The best ever and Aliens was great but more Sci-Fi action.

We saw Alien the week it came out and I had read the screenplay/novel the week before and was wondering how they were going to pull off that one scene. The theater was packed and when that little rascal popped out, about 30 people went up that aisle at "feets don't fail now" speed and few would return.

It was genius film making to not tell the cast what was going to happen with John Hurt so to register the shock better and muddying the audio to get the audience to lean in to try and hear better increased the tension.

They don't come any better than that and it's a shame they had to wreck it and by the same guy that made the original. I'll take AVP over anything they made after Aliens.

The other was Carpenter's The Thing. Pure joy. I am a creature feature guy and have been since I was a kid. I prefer that type horror to the slasher stuff, too damned close to real life. That's why I like the Stranger Things series. I like monsters that can hide and jump out with a "gotchya"!

Try The Possession and The Reaping, really well acted and written and The Reaping has some Exorcist element to it. Hilary Swank is really good in it.
The Reaping was very good, and I think I saw The Possession, but I'm not sure.

What I find scariest, and we've discussed this before, so I know you're with me on this, is the whole "inbred family" type thing. That genre just creeps the Hell out of me. The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. The thought of being eaten by or forced to breed with these abominations (No offense @waldoputty) is about as nasty as it gets for me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Reaping was very good, and I think I saw The Possession, but I'm not sure.

What I find scariest, and we've discussed this before, so I know you're with me on this, is the whole "inbred family" type thing. That genre just creeps the Hell out of me. The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc. The thought of being eaten by or forced to breed with these abominations (No offense @waldoputty) is about as nasty as it gets for me.
Agree and I have a hard time getting the images out of my head. Wrong Turn flat out disturbed me, even more than usual, and there was this X Files episode about an inbred family that stayed with me for a while too long.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Started my scary month off with The Creature From the Black Lagoon(1954) tonight. I will get into Friday the 13th soon :)
When I was a kid, the Creature from the Black Lagoon creeped me out more than any except The Wolfman. I have always liked werewolf movies and change scene from The Howling was the best ever.