RC Hobby

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Can't wait to fly it. Probably during the week. Kids are off this week so I can fly it on the soccer field.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Here are some more progress pics. The engine is mounted, however I am changing the standoffs to 1 1/4” to set the motor back some. The only issue I might have is if you see the header it doesn’t clear the firewall, so I’m hoping the smoke machine adapter that goes in between the head and the header gives me enough offset to clear. All servo horns have been installed on the mains, stab, and verts. The cowling mounts are installed. I changed the color of the wheel pants from yellow to white. I sanded, primered and wet sanded to get that popping look from the red when the light hits. They will be attached to a carbon fiber gear. The original was yellow metal. The prop will be a Xior 22x8 in red on a 4” carbon fiber spinner. The idea is to break the colors up and give it a more updated look as this plane is 10 years old.

I’m just waiting on more parts that should be here this week.

jr5NceNSLq.webp
oNv0YcJCVI.webp

cH6rqKZ2Fv.webp
uYjfbGAVQX.webp

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Got some more work done on the plane the last couple of days. Some of the parts have arrived. I completed the landing gear in carbon fiber and mounted the pants, wheels and gear. Next, I installed the pull/pull system and I’m really happy with how it turned out. When doing a pull/pull style of rudder you need to make sure that the geometry is correct so that when you turn the rudder there is no slack on the line that isn’t under pressure during deflection. I nailed it on my first time ever doing it. Here’s some pics.

9xee0qeWpg.webp
oCwpg8UEfl.webp
3ugWkQFgtF.webp

TlFVdhy8SL.webp

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Here’s a guy flying a plane just like mine. He did the CF landing gear and red pants. I can hover my planes on my sim I’ve yet to attempt this with my electric 3D plane the Extra 300. But this is why I’m building my Yak.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Flew her for the 1st time yesterday. She flies nice. I ordered a video camera so I could post videos. It didn't come with marker lights so I ordered those as well. I'll take a couple of photos when I get them installed.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Flew her for the 1st time yesterday. She flies nice. I ordered a video camera so I could post videos. It didn't come with marker lights so I ordered those as well. I'll take a couple of photos when I get them installed.
Sweet man! Can’t wait to see pics!

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Well this just kind of fell in my lap tonight. When you see them you have to swoop them up. Red Bull planes are very popular. So my buddy wanted to buy my Extra 300, and I was kicking the idea around, and this plane popped up in a small group I belong to, and for what I sold my Extra for this plane costed me $25. It’s a 55” Hobbico Fliteworks, it can be converted to a gasser, so that is something I might consider. But I’m pretty stoked, I picked it up Friday.

vRfLRwlKQY.webp

5YaplVpLHB.webp

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Sweet man! Can’t wait to see pics!
I'll post a couple after I put on the new lights I ordered. I'll post a video after I fly again. Just got a video camera the other day. Didn't have it when I flew on Saturday.

Regarding your new Red Bull plane. That's a nice plane. I've never flown a plane. I bet they're a little easier than a helicopter but the landing I bet is more difficult. Might be something I try someday. No place to fly planes near me unless I use a parking lot for the runway.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I'll post a couple after I put on the new lights I ordered. I'll post a video after I fly again. Just got a video camera the other day. Didn't have it when I flew on Saturday.

Regarding your new Red Bull plane. That's a nice plane. I've never flown a plane. I bet they're a little easier than a helicopter but the landing I bet is more difficult. Might be something I try someday. No place to fly planes near me unless I use a parking lot for the runway.

So, I started with flying fixed wing planes and the easiest of them were top wing aircraft’s. My issue mostly because of my learning disability is it took me awhile to get my brain, eyes and thumbs to see the same thing. I started flying Feb 2023. I stunk at it, I crashed more planes than I care to mention. So I went and switch to the Spectrum gear and used their safe/as3x system for the next 8 months. It really helped, as I was able to take my plane out of assist and try and fly without, but I felt like I just wasn’t getting any better. I ended up buying the helicopter and the real flight simulator, and this changed the game for me moving forward. I spent hours on the simulator working on simple movements on just lifting the helicopter slowly, and when I was ready to really fly (post blade wolf debacle) it was night and day better. Fast forward to my Yak build. I’ve been spending hours on the sim flying that plane with no Gyro/assist, and I’m so much more advanced now which is what I wanted before I fly my big gasser. So, I do believe making the transition from helicopter to plane will be easier.

Landings? Depending on the plane some land fast and under power, and some can just float the landing it. But the fun part is working on approaches and turning those into touch and goes! That will also help build muscle memory on your landings.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Well I picked up the redbull plane today! It’s smaller than I expected. It’s only a 48 inch wing span,9 def smaller than my Extra 300 I just sold. But still should be a fun 3D plane it’s super lightweight.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Added the marker lights today but it's raining so I had to do the video in the house.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Sorry. Deleted that other video. Here's the new link.

It’s raining here too, I totally get it! I want to maiden the Red Bull 540, but I’m regulated to my sim for now.

The lights are a nice touch! Can’t wait to see it in action.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Got notification another batch of parts will arrive today! Honestly, Aliexpress has saved me so much money on this build. They’re having a huge sale this week and they gave me a $50 dollar coupon good until Friday, so the next order that should be well over $400 bucks will end up being $234.32 shipped. That savings is worth the 11 day wait. For reference 2 of the parts if I ordered here in the US would be $400 alone, and they’d come from the same source.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Just ordered this today. Found out today that the chasis I ordered for my other truck is no longer available even though the site said it was.

90376-4-Stampede-4x4-VXL-Action-BLUE-3383-RGB_1800x1800.jpg

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Just ordered this today. Found out today that the chasis I ordered for my other truck is no longer available even though the site said it was.

90376-4-Stampede-4x4-VXL-Action-BLUE-3383-RGB_1800x1800.jpg
What about an aftermarket chassis? I’ve seen a lot of aftermarket stuff for discontinued Traxxas stuff all over the net. When I contemplated rebuilding my vintage traxxas I found a bunch of aftermarket stuff for it.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
What about an aftermarket chassis? I’ve seen a lot of aftermarket stuff for discontinued Traxxas stuff all over the net. When I contemplated rebuilding my vintage traxxas I found a bunch of aftermarket stuff for it.
I looked. Couldn't find anything. Took me a while to find the that one.