Real GMs

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Really? Cause it looks the same to me on the field.

I like will McClay well enough ......... but the only person who sucks up to Jerry more than Michael Irvin is Will McClay.
I remember the Phillips teams being much less disciplined than the current regime. I think the Garrett regime was more undisciplined as well.

I think you mistake correlation for cause.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Having a good organization from top to bottom certainly increases your odds of success. .

Our GM is only there because of nepotism and does not work at it full time no less, it's not his only responsibility.

Of course that may be a blessing in disguise, considering he's absolutely the worst at it, so spending more time at it would logically only make matters worse.
He's there because he owns the team and he can do as he pleases
...again, I choose not to continually cry and whine about something I can't control

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some of us understand the game. I don't like Jerry Jones being GM, but I understand it's not easy to win and I won't cry about it. That's a waste of time
that's the thing and why I agree with you I wish people would use this disclaimer when calling Jerry the GM he's the GM by title he could talk all he wants in public we've known he's given up a lot of that actual GM responsibility and power to his son and for sure a lot of it is on will mcclay we could keep being mad because he's a GM and you don't think anybody with any football background or knowledge like they call it a real football guy you don't think he has a staff full of real football man all the way back to Jimmy's bill Parcells you don't think Mike McCarthy's a football guy including will mcclay and a whole bunch of other layers to this onion of the front office that's why when people say they don't understand the salary cap... Are you trying to tell me that the Jones family being around all these people for 33 years have not picked up any knowledge at all? They literally have been in ownership and doing GM things for 33 years...

They have plenty of people underneath there management like lawyers CPA's cap ologist analytics people all kinds of managers they know how to at least set up a business to where it has enough people to run it they're not sitting up in a pulpit like people think making demands like the king without any knowledge and not any input from other people...

And like you said it isn't easy to win Super Bowls that is why the Dallas Cowboys are still third all time after this long drought and by the way still the only team along with the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs that have three or more titles in 33 years go look back to 1989 there's only three teams there's a reason teams are not stacking Super Bowls on a regular basis,,,

whenever I give this argument the reply is always well they never can fire themselves so when they're bad there's no accountability well how so what would it matter we see all these other teams that can't win that fire their head coaches their GM's purser rosters and sometimes move cities and sell their team and they're still bad or average or still not winning Super Bowls what does it matter if you change or not wouldn't you think that if he had a GM here and he did fire him for accountability like what you guys call a real GM which I still don't understand why you think that they don't have a real GM just because he loves the little microphone title of GM out in public doesn't make him the GM of the Dallas Cowboys... There are plenty of executives here but knowing what we know about Jerry if he hired a GM he probably only be around here three or four years they wouldn't be able to work together they would Jerry would not be happy with something and fire him So what would it matter??​
I mean seriously if everything still has to go through ownership which it always does there are other teams that you hear that their owners and GM's or their head coach and GM combos along with the ownership even in New England have problems they don't agree on everything and the owners gets the last word anyway So what would it matter if we had some kind of Gee and what if we just took host Howie Roseman you know the guys lost two titles to the Dallas Cowboys far as the division goes the last couple of years what have we brought him in here how long would he last? Probably not more than three or four years and then Jerry would wanna make a move...

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I remember the Phillips teams being much less disciplined than the current regime. I think the Garrett regime was more undisciplined as well.

I think you mistake correlation for cause.
I think they are the same ........ The Phillips team lost to the lowest rated seed in the playoffs just like last year.

They just won a lot of regular season games ........ just like last year.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Our fanbase has higher standard then some so called cowboy fans who worship the Front Office and jethro; or spend their time defending those failures
Not everyone is unable to judge leadership and application, when annual analysis is applied as a franchise. Some are still able to respect the game as a sport.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...again, I choose not to continually cry and whine about something I can't control
He does seem to get more acclaim than on site here, for his team.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Some of us understand the game. I don't like Jerry Jones being GM, but I understand it's not easy to win and I won't cry about it. That's a waste of time
the short version and I agree with what you're saying you can't control it but Jerry's not really the GM here GM by title it's like the queen of England have a nice title but they don't have much power because they've given up a lot of that power Jerry leans on guys like will mcclay and his head coach and his coordinators with input from his scouts and a whole lot of layers of management in that front office he's not doing this blindly from a pulpit...

In my opinion it wouldn't matter anyway what are all these teams with real GM's per the term that's used loosely around here have been doing better than Jerry Jones as far as the last three or four years let's go five years they have one of the best winning percentages been in the playoffs 5 out of the last eight years they finished top six and yes we've come up short and it's been a gut punch but all these other ones have not took the titles away from the Cowboys because the Cowboys are still top three all time in Super Bowl wins but again I mentioned it earlier the New England Patriots and the Kansas City Chiefs who were the latest dynasties are the only ones along with the Dallas Cowboys that had three Super Bowl wins or more in the last 33 years that would be 1989..

So this alleged accountability and blueprints for hiring a GM how is that working for all those teams that can't even overcome the Cowboys including the Eagles Howie Roseman it's all we talk about lost the division title to the Cowboys two of the last three years and had a monumental meltdown last year I think fans love all the moves people make but if those moves don't work out how is that making any different than no moves?

Let me guess they appreciate the effort but maybe Howard roseman's ego he just makes all these trades and tries to make moves because he's that kind of guy but doesn't mean they're the right moves because most of them haven't worked out...

So again what would it matter there are a lot of T teams in this league set up with traditional GM's and they can't even consistently do with the Cowboys have done over the last 8 years.. Eventually I think the Dallas Cowboys will finally get to an NFC championship game soon.. Maybe even a Super Bowl the cycle will come back around like it does for many teams that's why the Kansas City Chiefs had a 52 year drought I bet their fan base didn't constantly complain about it..lol or maybe they did i don't know i'm not on the kansas city chiefs forum..

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I think they are the same ........ The Phillips team lost to the lowest rated seed in the playoffs just like last year.

They just won a lot of regular season games ........ just like last year.
Not 3 years in a row they did not. I was thinking more about penalties and and errors because you were talking about discipline. Phillips was quite the contrast to the Parcells years. Nevermind the Jimmy years.

Of course here you are making it about what you are mad about instead. Nonetheless, game outcomes are much more complex than 'discipline.' I like the red herring.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not 3 years in a row they did not. I was thinking more about penalties and and errors because you were talking about discipline. Phillips was quite the contrast to the Parcells years.

Of course here you are making it about what you are mad about instead. Nonetheless, game outcomes are much more complex than 'discipline.' I like the red herring.
Jerry does not know how to build a balanced team ........ he did not when Wade was coach ..... and he does not now.

Hardline

Reaction score
Real GMs have the fear of getting fired for failure.
Our current GM is bullet proof.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Nope, his message was simply, showing respect and a given dignity....try it sometime and not just for a Lombardi. Explain now a Buffalo.
I'm lost in your conversation ,whoever you're having this debate with, but Speaking of Buffalo how is it that let's see somebody go count how many new head coaches how many new GM's they've had since 1989 let's just keep it there for the Jerry Jones GM aspect and explain why that blueprint of having a regular old GM and a lot of football people how is helped them?

I mean last I checked 1989 through 94 they went to four straight Super Bowls and lost and then 30 years later they finally get back to AFC championship game and lost well that must suck because they're not waiting on number six or like Jerry waiting on #4 they're waiting on #1.. I mean yeah the Cincinnati Bengals never won a Super Bowl Bing close but I mean the fan base must be livid I mean they must be calling for a real GM,

ohh wait a minute they have real ownership real GM's and real football people over there that goes for all the other teams that have never won a Super Bowl or have not one one in the same amount of time because as much as we love San Francisco as far as their consistency to get close they haven't won one since 1994......

Last edited:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Real GMs have the fear of getting fired for failure.
Our current GM is bullet proof.
Every owner is bulletrproof and has final say of every club. If Lurie gave himself the GM title and that GM MClay's title it would functionally be the same thing.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Well of course, not one of 31 other teams would consider him qualified to GM their team.