Real GMs

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Youre listing job titles and pointing out that those men were given executive authority. Essentially put on the signature card.

I do not know why you are telling me about job titles for most of that given my argument.
My point is the what if is not really applicable to Lurie, given his history.

From what I understand Lurie does involve himself in VFA in particular. He was dabbling in Sirriani's offense: https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eag...sirianni-autonomy-doug-pederson-20220115.html
Understood. I personally believe all owners meddle to some degree of football management at the macro level. However, I do not believe most owners micromanage as Jones has done--even to the degree he has 'delegated' responsibilities to others within his front office during the last decade.

Do you have any proof whatsoever that Lurie gave anyone "full autonomy" where he cuts himself out?
I have zero proof. It is totally an assumption on my part. My bad.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
My point is the what if is not really applicable to Lurie, given his history.

Understood. I personally believe all owners meddle to some degree of football management at the macro level. However, I do not believe most owners micromanage as Jones has done--even to the degree he has 'delegated' responsibilities to others within his front office during the last decade.

I have zero proof. It is totally an assumption on my part. My bad.
Jerry told MM or any other coach how to run their unit?

Jerry let even the weak coaches do their thing and valued their input like Phillips and Campo.

Jerry has done plenty of stupid things in the draft and free agency. He has not had an issue delegating in quite some time.

MS17

Reaction score
Its only assumed when someone jumps in the middle of an argument about Jerry .......... I could only leave Jerry and will be glad when his is no longer involved with the Cowboys.
Spot on. When Jerry leaves, it's addition by subtraction.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can tell by were they sit during press conferences and in the war room cam.

Jimmy and Bill sat in the middle.

All the other coaches sat on the side with Jerry in the middle.
It has been a really telling, interpersonal, professional dynamic between Jerry Jones and his head coaches over the years.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Excellent question. Perhaps someone in the Dallas area media uncovered and documented that type of interference from Jones as the Philadelphia Inquirer had done with Jeffrey Lurie. I may try tracking down an example of such at a later time.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Excellent question. Perhaps someone in the Dallas area media uncovered and documented that type of interference from Jones as the Philadelphia Inquirer had done with Jeffrey Lurie. I may try tracking down an example of such at a later time.
I couldn't find anything. I found Lurie with several examples from "lurie full autonomy" I was seeing if there was any basis for your opinion.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Real GM's dont look at a players team Championships while with a team when deciding if the player can play and/or improve their team.

Reggie Miller would be highly sought after in todays NBA...but has no Championships under his belt.

A GM would be unqualified to look at him as not being worth acquiring assuming they were willing and able.

Why is this board over-run with team stats defining a player?

Does this hurt the boards narrative?
Prime Tom Brady or prime Dak Prescott...who ya got?

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
good one.

Was Whiplash your favorite movie? Was the abuse worth the thin margins in gained as a drummer under the abuse?

Never satisfied is abuse.
Should we lower our expectations based on a history of subpar performance? That line of thinking enables the acceptance of subpar performance. Have we really fallen that far? I refuse to believe so.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
What I don't get is that if you're so miserable and constantly complaining.....why do you stick around...sports are meant to be enjoying. I get the frustration, I want another SB too, but I'm not letting it piss me off. The only thing that pisses me off are the haters
Now, go away.
Misery loves company.

gtb1943

Reaction score
You can tell by were they sit during press conferences and in the war room cam.

Jimmy and Bill sat in the middle.

All the other coaches sat on the side with Jerry in the middle.

The Jerry lovers will try to spin it ....... but it is what it is.
Remember the press conference when they sighed TO. He spoke directly to Jerry; not to BP. That was when I bet BP started to think about retiring.

kskboys

Reaction score
A real GM would not hire his children to run a professional football team.

A real GM would allow the coaches to decide play time and discipline.

A real GM would have been fired after 29 years of failure.

A real GM would not make outlandish statements to his fan base that he had no plans to back up.

We have not had a real GM since Jimmy Johnson left for Miami.
A real GM would watch hours upon hours of tape studying incoming draftees.

A real GM would not overdraft TE's all the time.

A real GM would understand what a DLine does for a team.

kskboys

Reaction score

Jerry let even the weak coaches do their thing and valued their input like Phillips and Campo.

Jerry has done plenty of stupid things in the draft and free agency. He has not had an issue delegating in quite some time.
Yes.

Wade fined MBIII. Jerry rescinded the fine.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I believe after 30 years of attempting to be the "walrus " Jerry has become a real GM and is listening to the people around him.
Time will tell.
Better to win with help then to die a failure, right Jerry?

cowboyed

Reaction score
I agree completely!

The Cowboys need a REAL GM .. someone who doesn't do what the Cowboys have been doing for 29 years by paying salary cap limiting contracts to players who do not help this team get anywhere near a Super Bowl.

Hard to believe .. 29 years .. 0 Super Bowls .. and after all of those high-paid contracts.
I agree we need a real GM but one that is not the team owner and also has his son as the "capologist" and Executive VP of Player Personnel.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Too often site has become almond heads who as long as lips are moving one can tell they are just lieing. Go Cowboys...live for a real life meaning not just vanity.