Real GMs

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I mean 29 years of failure sucks, at least to Cowboy fans ........ Jerry fans have it great ...... he is worth 14 billion dollars. Yay!
I could take or leave Jerry. I get that it is either for or against for you but understand I do not reason like that.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I could take or leave Jerry. I get that it is either for or against for you but understand I do not reason like that.
Its only assumed when someone jumps in the middle of an argument about Jerry .......... I could only leave Jerry and will be glad when his is no longer involved with the Cowboys.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Real GM's dont look at a players team Championships while with a team when deciding if the player can play and/or improve their team.

Reggie Miller would be highly sought after in todays NBA...but has no Championships under his belt.

A GM would be unqualified to look at him as not being worth acquiring assuming they were willing and able.

Why is this board over-run with team stats defining a player?

Does this hurt the boards narrative?
Is this a parody account?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Its only assumed when someone jumps in the middle of an argument about Jerry .......... I could only leave Jerry and will be glad when his is no longer involved with the Cowboys.
Only if you assume everyone reasons like you who has something to say about Jerry. You've been presented with a couple other paradigms.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
But he doesn't is the problem ....... at best he is a GM assistant.

Jerry Makes the decisions like a GM.
Does he though? Seems to be decisions are made by committee. We have seen the committee decisionmaking happen in real time.

If you are quibbling about him having executive say, the NFL Charter provides that multiple signatures can be used for submitting league paperwork. I am betting McClay along with the Joneses are on that signature card.

Unless, the owner contractually cedes their executive authority for a period, they each have final say. Only they can change the signature card and veto moves.

Jerry doesn't seem to operate remotely alone. I am sure you had kittens when the Joneses felt the need to carpe diem for Lance but for the most part it has not been like that. Not in the draft, free agency, or the other trades.

irishline

Reaction score
Not really considering 32 teams, 5 championships, and the law of averages.

You feel entitled to more because you once had more.
What does the law of averages say about us being 1 of 2 teams not to get to a championship game in 28 years (not even talking Superbowl)? 32 teams for (4*28) 112 opportunities.

The average every team should have been to 3.5 championship games in that span. Us and Washington? 0.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
What does the law of averages say about us being 1 of 2 teams not to get to a championship game in 28 years (not even talking Superbowl)? 32 teams for (4*28) 112 opportunities.

By that average every team should have been to 3.5 championship games in that span.
Sure but then we need to talk about 3 playoff appearances in 3 years and the odds of that. And of course there is the 28 year bias in and of itself which specifically biases out an immediately prior period of success along the lines you are complaining about.

How many were there in that period?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Every owner is bulletrproof and has final say of every club. If Lurie gave himself the GM title and that GM MClay's title it would functionally be the same thing.
Does that hypothetical apply when considering the two owners--Jerry Jones and Jeffrey Lurie--had different approaches to football management of their respective teams? Lurie hired and permitted full autonomy over general managership responsibilities to Ray Rhodes (1996-1997), Tom Modrak (1998-2000), Andy Reid (2001-2005), Tom Heckert (2006-2009) and Howie Roseman (2010 to present). The general manager, Lurie inherited when he purchased the franchise in 1994, Harry Gamble, resigned a year later.

Lurie gave himself the title of Chief Executive Officer. The responsibilities of that title, along with those associated with his ownership, seemingly are all that he has ever wanted from the NFL. He has not demonstrated wanting any other responsibilities--like that of being his own general manager--in three decades time.

There is very little to latch a what if onto Lurie doing anything of the sort. He has seemed content on hiring, firing, accepting resignations of multiple, qualified football executives to do the job of his GM. The same cannot be said of Jones.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Does he though?
Yes

Jerry surrounds himself with yes men ...... he discusses stuff with them so they can agree with him and make him feel like a genius football dude.

29 years and counting ....... only non yes man who has been a part of this organization since Jimmy left is Parcells.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Does that hypothetic apply when considering the two owners--Jerry Jones and Jeffrey Lurie--had different approaches to football management of their respective teams? Lurie hired and permitted full autonomy over general managership responsibilities to Ray Rhodes (1996-1997), Tom Modrak (1998-2000), Andy Reid (2001-2005), Tom Heckert (2006-2009) and Howie Roseman (2010 to present). The general manager, Lurie inherited when he purchased the franchise in 1994, Harry Gamble, resigned a year later.

Lurie gave himself the title of Chief Executive Officer. The responsibilities of that title, along with those associated with his ownership, seemingly are all that he has ever wanted from the NFL. He has not demonstrated wanting any other responsibilities--like that of being his own general manager--in three decades time.

There is very little to latch a what if onto Lurie doing anything of the sort. He has seemed content on hiring, firing, accepting resignations of multiple, qualified football executives to do the job of his GM. The same cannot be said of Jones.
Youre listing job titles and pointing out that those men were given executive authority. Essentially put on the signature card.

I do not know why you are telling me about job titles for most of that given my argument.

From what I understand Lurie does involve himself in VFA in particular. He was dabbling in Sirriani's offense: https://www.inquirer.com/eagles/eag...sirianni-autonomy-doug-pederson-20220115.html

Do you have any proof whatsoever that Lurie gave anyone "full autonomy" where he cuts himself out?

gtb1943

Reaction score
Yes

Jerry surrounds himself with yes men ...... he discusses stuff with them so they can agree with him and make him feel like a genius football dude.

29 years and counting ....... only non yes man who has been a part of this organization since Jimmy left is Parcells.
And Jethro hated every moment he had to cede control to BP. And I am willing to bet heavily he will never do it again

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
And Jethro hated every moment he had to cede control to BP. And I am willing to bet heavily he will never do it again
You can tell by were they sit during press conferences and in the war room cam.

Jimmy and Bill sat in the middle.

All the other coaches sat on the side with Jerry in the middle.

The Jerry lovers will try to spin it ....... but it is what it is.