Real GMs

dreghorn2

Original Zoner (he's a good boy!)
Reaction score
Excellent question. Perhaps someone in the Dallas area media uncovered and documented that type of interference from Jones as the Philadelphia Inquirer had done with Jeffrey Lurie. I may try tracking down an example of such at a later time.

That photo of Jerry confronting Garrett on the sidelines immediately springs to mind. :)

gtb1943

Reaction score
A real GM would watch hours upon hours of tape studying incoming draftees.

A real GM would not overdraft TE's all the time.

A real GM would understand what a DLine does for a team.
what surprises me about Jethro is that as a former guard of all people he should understand the importance of top DTs.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Too often site has become almond heads who as long as lips are moving one can tell they are just lieing. Go Cowboys...live for a real life meaning not just vanity.
Looks like the worst of it got cleaned up. FWIW, I do not see DE like that. I see two things.

First, people do not like to let go of their assumptions.

Second, many men would rather die than tell me I am right.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Does that hypothetical apply when considering the two owners--Jerry Jones and Jeffrey Lurie--had different approaches to football management of their respective teams? Lurie hired and permitted full autonomy over general managership responsibilities to Ray Rhodes (1996-1997), Tom Modrak (1998-2000), Andy Reid (2001-2005), Tom Heckert (2006-2009) and Howie Roseman (2010 to present). The general manager, Lurie inherited when he purchased the franchise in 1994, Harry Gamble, resigned a year later.

Lurie gave himself the title of Chief Executive Officer. The responsibilities of that title, along with those associated with his ownership, seemingly are all that he has ever wanted from the NFL. He has not demonstrated wanting any other responsibilities--like that of being his own general manager--in three decades time.

There is very little to latch a what if onto Lurie doing anything of the sort. He has seemed content on hiring, firing, accepting resignations of multiple, qualified football executives to do the job of his GM. The same cannot be said of Jones.
And that's great except for one thing they only have one ring to show for it so this blueprint this lovely well thought out and very well detailed reply it doesn't mean a hill of beans to me because it doesn't have a bunch of titles I mean literally this would not be the blueprint or the advice you would use you would probably go to the Kansas City Chiefs only recently because they took 52 years between their Super Bowl wins or maybe use New England because they were the last two dynasties the Philadelphia Eagles have never been to dynasty they've barely been good enough to win games they're basically the Buffalo Bills with one title so at least there's step up but my man use a better reference because as much as finally Howie Roseman since 2010 while they've been sort of better it's still 14 years with one title and that would be in 2017 they completely collapsed last year they choked away a Super Bowl so I would not use the Eagles A-Team we beat on a regular basis and I get it you think if we did the same thing we'd have more titles in the last 28 years and I'm looking up there and going maybe not you went through all that and the guys got one title the owner only has one title doing all that work firing and rehiring new GM's.. And like I said the last two out of the three years that eagle seem has lost the division to us a team with allegedly no REAL GM..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
NEVER POST DMN CONTENT ON COWBOYSZONE! NO EXCEPTIONS!

Any member, who would like an explanation or a refresher, can click this link.

Thread re-opened.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
That photo of Jerry confronting Garrett on the sidelines immediately springs to mind. :)
Found that at least:

Jones made some headlines during Monday night's loss to the Washington Commanders after springing into action and taking it upon himself to deliver some key updates to head coach Jason Garrett on the sideline.
"I was here during the tail end of (Tony Romo's back) examination and knew he planned to come back out and play if he were needed," Jones told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram when asked why he was speaking to Garrett mid-game. "Of course he was needed. I felt good that he could come back out. When he saw the opportunity, he did. I told Jason that he would be back in."
Apparently that was information the training staff could not radio over to Garrett on that headset he had to take off to listen to Jones.

https://www.nfl.com/news/why-was-jerry-jones-on-sideline-talking-to-garrett-0ap3000000419208

Not an applicable example.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Looks like the worst of it got cleaned up. FWIW, I do not see DE like that. I see two things.

First, people do not like to let go of their assumptions.

Second, many men would rather die than tell me I am right.
so when was the last time you admitted you were wrong?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I agree completely!

The Cowboys need a REAL GM .. someone who doesn't do what the Cowboys have been doing for 29 years by paying salary cap limiting contracts to players who do not help this team get anywhere near a Super Bowl.

Hard to believe .. 29 years .. 0 Super Bowls .. and after all of those high-paid contracts.
This cant be true Reality it was the other day i was told Jerry had never been burned before Dak and now is learning his lesson...I to questioned the math of 30 years and multiple contracts...but was told only 1 player in 30 years had not lived up to the contract Jerry had given them....What that 1 player has done to this FO's winning ways before he got here is Shamefull...lol..30 years and some still think we need to change things on the sidelines to fix it...

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
so when was the last time you admitted you were wrong?
when I posted the DMN article is the most recent.

sorry that Lurie tells his coaches how to run their schemes while the team gives up midseason and it is documented and Jerry doesn't do that.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
xZUomFE.png

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
And that's great except for one thing they only have one ring to show for it so this blueprint this lovely well thought out and very well detailed reply it doesn't mean a hill of beans to me because it doesn't have a bunch of titles I mean literally this would not be the blueprint or the advice you would use you would probably go to the Kansas City Chiefs only recently because they took 52 years between their Super Bowl wins or maybe use New England because they were the last two dynasties the Philadelphia Eagles have never been to dynasty they've barely been good enough to win games they're basically the Buffalo Bills with one title so at least there's step up but my man use a better reference because as much as finally Howie Roseman since 2010 while they've been sort of better it's still 14 years with one title and that would be in 2017 they completely collapsed last year they choked away a Super Bowl so I would not use the Eagles A-Team we beat on a regular basis and I get it you think if we did the same thing we'd have more titles in the last 28 years and I'm looking up there and going maybe not you went through all that and the guys got one title the owner only has one title doing all that work firing and rehiring new GM's.. And like I said the last two out of the three years that eagle seem has lost the division to us a team with allegedly no REAL GM..
I wouldn’t use the Eagles as a blueprint either. The Chiefs current owner/GM/head coach combination has been together seven years. The Chiefs’ ownership, not pleased with the teams inability to make deep playoff runs got a new head coach, and then got a new GM, and finally found success. They identified a quarterback they wanted in the draft when they had one playing well. They did things Cowboys fans wish Jerry Jones would at least consider. He prefers to adhere to the same FO hierarchy even though he has to know New England didn’t run their franchise that way. Kansas City doesn’t run their franchise that way. Jerry believes in his way despite every indication it’s not ultimately successful.

gtb1943

Reaction score
when I posted the DMN article is the most recent.

sorry that Lurie tells his coaches how to run their schemes while the team gives up midseason and it is documented and Jerry doesn't do that.
Its amazing what Jethro's defenders like to forget. The numerous stories over the years and Jethro's own public statements....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lurie is much more meddlesome than Jones. Do you disagree?
I strongly disagree. Admittedly, I do not have a supportive evidentiary list to post concerning everything I *think* makes Jones more a more meddlesome owner than Lurie.

That said, I believe the thread topic has been gotten a bit murky. Jeffrey Lurie is not the Philadelphia Eagles' general manager. He does assign those responsibilities, along with decision-making associated with the position, to his employee.

On the other hand, Jerry Jones is the Dallas Cowboys' general manager. While he does delegate GM-designated duties to others, Jones has retained the decision-making authority associated with the position.

General managers are the principal advisors to team owners of all front office processes. Howard Roseman serves in that capacity for Lurie. Jones is his own advisor for his own front office operation.