Twitter: Referee Brad Allen on the 2 point conversion Illegal Touch call

Jkyle

Reaction score
The ref told the Cowboys Defense that 70 was eligible. Therefore, Dallas disregarded 68 in the coverage. There was a reason he was wide open. Had the ref said 68 was eligible, the Cowboys would've likely accounted for him.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There is no doubt that the Lions sent 3 linemen to the refs to deceive Dallas, but in doing so they was making the refs part of the deception. Why should the refs participate in a ruse like that? I have no idea if the refs had announced 68 as eligible would the Cowboys have stopped the play. The didn';t stop anything on that entire drive.
There’s no limit.

They checked in.

Rigged.

Stuff like this ruins the game.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I understood the first shot at it, the subsequent two tries were just foolish, especially since we had been punking them on 3rd/4th and short most the game.
Exactly .......go to overtime and unless you lose the coin toss and your D gives up a TD, you probably win the game coz again, our D had checked out.

Reactions: CWR

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
If the tackle on the left side had checked in with the ref and did everything legal and was an eligible receiver. There can only be 5 eligible receivers. Which of the other 5 receivers are not eligible?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Except the replay showed him reporting.
The play show 2 OL standing a yard away from the official, and one running toward giving the signal he was eligible. In which the ref seen and called it. Detroit's cheating scheme did not work.
And we have fans that are mad that it did not work. Or are they really fans at all.

Creeper

Reaction score
There’s no limit.

They checked in.

Rigged.

Stuff like this ruins the game.
There is no limit to what?

We do not know that they checked in. According to the ref only #70 reported as eligible. He announced it over the PA system for the entire stadium to hear. He informed the Cowboys that #70 was eligible.

3 guys approached the ref. Why? Two claim they said nothing, but why approach the ref then? Clearly they were trying to deceive the Cowboys by masking who the eligible receiver would be but that was stupid because the refs still have to announce the eligible player to the defense - which they did. They announce #70.

It was a play that did ruin the end of the game, but the Lions are at fault in this case. It is the player's responsibility to report and make sure the ref knows he reported. Obviously that did not happen in this case and the Lions should have corrected the problem when the ref announced #70 as eligible.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
The ref announced over the PA that #70 was eligible (twice). The Lions had the opportunity to correct the ref. They chose not to correct the ref.

Did the ref screw up? Maybe. Maybe Lions said 68 and he saw 70 so thought 70

BUT this was still squarely on the Lions, not the refs and not the Cowboys.

tm1119

Reaction score
The play show 2 OL standing a yard away from the official, and one running toward giving the signal he was eligible. In which the ref seen and called it. Detroit's cheating scheme did not work.
And we have fans that are mad that it did not work. Or are they really fans at all.
I don’t think there’s any evidence of #70 giving the “eligible” signal to the ref. Yes he runs over to the ref, but you can clearly see the ref talking to Decker and already turning away and towards the Cowboys before #70 even gets close enough to speak to him.
I think the only real argument is for the Lions continuing to run the play and not correcting the ref after he announced the wrong player as eligible. #70 lined up at OG, there was never a possibility of him being eligible so it would have had to be 1 hell of a mistake by the Lions. And their reaction after is telling enough for me, the Ref screwed up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think there’s any evidence of #70 giving the “eligible” signal to the ref. Yes he runs over to the ref, but you can clearly see the ref talking to Decker and already turning away and towards the Cowboys before #70 even gets close enough to speak to him.
I think the only real argument is for the Lions continuing to run the play and not correcting the ref after he announced the wrong player as eligible. #70 lined up at OG, there was never a possibility of him being eligible so it would have had to be 1 hell of a mistake by the Lions. And their reaction after is telling enough for me, the Ref screwed up.
Look at the film. 70 is running right to the official, brushing his jersey which is the accepted sign to say...hey, I m reporting as eligible. The ref was looking at him, 70.

There is no film evidence the ref was looking at and talking to 68.

Flamma

Reaction score
I don’t think their is a limit in the rule book.

Both checked in.
According to Dan Campbell you can't have 2 check in. Nor did he want two to check in. There was another flag on the play for 70 being covered up on the right side of the line. According to the referee. Besides, 70 was playing right guard on that play.

Last edited:

hitachi14

Reaction score
Even if that’s the only argument, you still have to correct the ref. It has to be clear to the defense who is eligible. They can hear the announcement like everyone else.

DripTooHard

Reaction score
I mean, you can see him run up to the ref to report
Maybe they were exchanging pleasantries? Do you have audio of what was said? The ref announced 70 as eligible over the mic. Perhaps someone on the lions could have corrected that before the play was run?