News: Report: Tony Romo met with CBS bosses amid broadcasting criticism

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, that hasn't been talked about much but Michaels has really fallen off. It's almost like he has a different vantage point in the stadiums this season and he can't follow the action as closely as in the past. Or maybe father time is creeping in and his reaction time is going. He's also subdued when calling exciting action too. Worst year I've heard out of him.
He also may have a partner he doesn't want. I can handle Herbstreit on college games but do not like him on the NFL games.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
How about the sideline reporters asking the HC how he's going to stop the bleeding in a beatdown? The reporters and the HC's both seem to like that sooooooo much.

Try popping a gummie and turning on the music and the volume down? I've done this with Classical music before and there are actual times it looks as if the players have been choreographed, it's quite entertaining.

But then I want them to do some Riverdance in the endzone, as a team, in celebration of the touchdown but they do not. And I am disappointed.
Useless they are. To repeat what we know. "Half time adjustments, we need to do better, etc.

Coach, I enjoy the crowd, on field and announcer sound. Everything about it except dudes in a booth yapping like every 1st in TD or just saying the dumbest things.
When we all get together to watch games the volume is usually down and there are multiple games going.

I will be taking your gummy advice to heart though, I feel I would tolerate a bunch more.

BakangBata

Reaction score
The old Romo: Very analytical. Predicts plays that are going to happen. It's like him playing QB, reading the defensive formation, making adjustments, and predicting what the play is going to be. I did not remember him missing his calls.

The current Romo: He reacts to plays. Gets overly excited. Gone are the analytical dissection—just an overly excited commentary on how good that throw is and an even better catch, tough yards, great block ...

erod

Reaction score
To me, Romo seems bored with it these days. The job and the league.

The NFL is really poor quality right now. It's bad. Poor quarterbacking, sloppy play, coaches lacking authority with players, nutty rules, bad officiating, no loyalty or team identity....

There are other things he'd rather be doing.

And now there's no Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, Romo, Rivers.... just rules to make offense easy despite lousy quarterbacks.

The luster is gone.

Pola_pe_a

Reaction score
Romo started out well but he’s gotten progressively worse. He talks too much, gushes over players too much and just comes off as a bit shot out of a cannon.

Aikman is the best in the biz IMO.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I predict Romo will be "comeback commentator of the year."

This will motivate him.

Zman5

Reaction score
People just trying to stir up controversy because that's what sells and pays the bills. There were no "interventions". Just standard practice for people in the media.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Never thought Romo was that good in the booth to begin with.

BoysForLife

Reaction score
If I'm being honest, I am such a Romo homer that I would say no.

He sounds like the same high IQ football guy to me. But I only heard him call a handful of games this year.

What's your opinion?
Same boat. Probably only watched 2 or 3 games with him and nantz this year but seemed ok to me....

Maybe I was paying more attention to the players than the guys in the booth

ESisback

Reaction score
I think he misses the games, the REAL games, not this TV crap. He needs to coach. I’d wager some are irritated about a former Cowboy, calling plays before they happen. He’s TOO knowledgeable, and the other parts of what they want bores him. Might they see Tom Brady as a potential replacement for rating$? If I was a multi-millionaire with a busy, rewarding life full of options on his level, I wouldn’t feel stress, and would do whatever comes naturally.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Yeah Romo had a chance to be great but now he's just content with being a character like Dick Vitale. I predict he will be done or demoted in a few years, the broadcasting booth will get competitive in the future as current players continue to retire. JJ Watt will probably be in demand soon and once Russell Wilson retires, he will have suitors too.
Wilson? are you serious? The next opinion he has on anything will be his first.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
IMO Aikman has stepped up his game. Early on I think he dumb-ed it down and tried to be a little cute with Bucks attempt at dramatizing the game. TA received a lot of commentating accolades (deserving or not), however when TR came on the mic, it put a lot of commentators on notice and they had to research and work on their study of the game as it's happening. These guys are still competitive which is why I think TA and TR would make great front office personnel for a team.