News: Report: Tony Romo met with CBS bosses amid broadcasting criticism

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
What I’ve personally noticed, and the criticism he’s received from other NFL fans that I’ve seen on the internet, is that he’s overly enthusiastic too frequently. He seems to be talking a lot more than in his first season as a broadcaster, too. He'll say things on 3rd down like “WOW JIM, THIS COULD BE THE GAME!!!!” multiple times a game.

He also seems to homer out and root for QBs, specifically Mahomes and Allen. You can easily tell he absolutely loves Mahomes.

That being said, I still enjoy his commentary. I’d much rather listen to Romo and Nantz than almost any other commentating duo. People will warm up to him again if he tones things down a bit.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'll let Joe answer this for us.....

That's the trolling I was talking about. Fans are so mad that they'll continue to watch and talk about him. The best part is the fans don't even know they're playing into it due to their own lack of control. Speaking of which ..... Lol.

Why do you care? And, it's kind of an exaggeration of how mad you think fans are. But, then again that's your schtick.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
"Amid broadcasting criticism"? Is this the supposedly misspoke word people imagined he said? or his overall performance as a broadcaster?

dckid

Reaction score
They saw him last offseason? The intervention clearly didn't work because he was no better this year
Lol. Not a surprise. Exciting player when he was on but never delivered the wins we needed. Not a Dak guy btw, before someone gets all wound up.
Aikman clearly passed him last season in terms of color commentary.

dckid

Reaction score
Parcells warned us about the anointing oil. Then remember directly after Jerry gave him that big contract he talked about increased responsibilities etc. At the time I didn't think much of it, but when hearing this it seems he may take some things for granted instead of putting in the needed work. Disclaimer, I was always a Romo supporter.
Yup, Parcells saw it from the start. He could not hitch his wagon to him long term. I really wish he did, we would have at least made one championship game.

Reactions: CWR

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
Tony is talking way too much and too fast, he sometimes just rambles and doesnt finish his thoughts. He needs to be calm, and remember less is more sometimes.

Theres a big uproar going on right now that many think he accidently was about to use THE "n" word during last weeks broadcast.

Personally I think people are just annoyed by his dropoff.

My surprise favorite has been Greg Olsen. Hes good about explaining the play without using all his word count. His demeanor is sharp, very rarely making errors.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have never been a fan of his style of broadcasting and he lacks the voice to deliver it and refuses to learn how to project over the ambient crowd noise. That predicting what the team was going to do offensively before the play got cold when he was wrong enough and if that had been a good plan, other analysts would have tried that long ago.

Couple this with Jim Nantz is Mr. Nice Guy and the most boring broadcaster in the game and they're a poor choice for CBS' #1 team.

But this is only the symptom of a larger problem, the constant movement of ex players into the booth is wearing thin. They are not professional broadcasters and take up too much of the broadcast. Take a look at Gronkowski's move, does that not make you cringe to try and watch him?

The guy that got it and knew he had to learn the craft was Daryl Johnston but he does not try and interject personality into it and comes off a little too robotic at times.

But the best is the tension that hangs in the air between Greg Olsen and Mike Pereira after one too many shots taken at the officials by Olsen. Olsen feels so important he should share all the rule changes that should be made and actually faults the officials with enforcing the rules that they have no control over and are graded on. Pereira's audio interactions are entertaining, as terse as he can get when it's Olsen.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yeah Romo had a chance to be great but now he's just content with being a character like Dick Vitale. I predict he will be done or demoted in a few years, the broadcasting booth will get competitive in the future as current players continue to retire. JJ Watt will probably be in demand soon and once Russell Wilson retires, he will have suitors too.

Zordon

Reaction score
I have never been a fan of his style of broadcasting and he lacks the voice to deliver it and refuses to learn how to project over the ambient crowd noise. That predicting what the team was going to do offensively before the play got cold when he was wrong enough and if that had been a good plan, other analysts would have tried that long ago.

Couple this with Jim Nantz is Mr. Nice Guy and the most boring broadcaster in the game and they're a poor choice for CBS' #1 team.

But this is only the symptom of a larger problem, the constant movement of ex players into the booth is wearing thin. They are not professional broadcasters and take up too much of the broadcast. Take a look at Gronkowski's move, does that not make you cringe to try and watch him?

The guy that got it and knew he had to learn the craft was Daryl Johnston but he does not try and interject personality into it and comes off a little too robotic at times.

But the best is the tension that hangs in the air between Greg Olsen and Mike Pereira after one too many shots taken at the officials by Olsen. Olsen feels so important he should share all the rule changes that should be made and actually faults the officials with enforcing the rules that they have no control over and are graded on. Pereira's audio interactions are entertaining, as terse as he can get when it's Olsen.
Yeah Romo had a chance to be great but now he's just content with being a character like Dick Vitale. I predict he will be done or demoted in a few years, the broadcasting booth will get competitive in the future as current players continue to retire. JJ Watt will probably be in demand soon and once Russell Wilson retires, he will have suitors too.
I don't mind players making the transition to the booth after retirement, but like CC said they need to have the voice for it. Romo does not at all. I've noticed this trend in sports where ex-players with weak nasily voices are getting broadcasting jobs when it does not suit them. Go back and listen to the 70's, 80's, 90's broadcasts they all had great voices made for TV.

JayFord

Reaction score
Hes a fine announcer to me

its some announcers that suck at their job he isnt one of them

Asklesko

Reaction score
A Dallas Cowboy signing a big contract and then underperforming. Shocking.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hes a fine announcer to me

its some announcers that suck at their job he isnt one of them
It is 100% subjective.

Some hate Joe Buck and think he's a Cowboys hater but I do not agree. But that does not make them wrong either.

My favorite is Michaels but he had a rough year, some of those shots of him in the booth made me wonder if he was in the bag. He's always been glib and quick in the past but seemed to struggle this season.

Plankton

Reaction score
To be frank, I never got the Romo love as a commentator. Where he is very strong is when teams are in no-huddle situations, and he is able to show you what the QB is looking at, and where they should be looking to go with the ball. He does this in real time, and it really enhances the broadcast. His problem is the rest of the game. He provides little to no insight on position groups other than the QB. No viewer will end up more knowledgeable about line play after listening to one of his games. Also, and this is my biggest pet peeve with him, when there is a play that involves replay review, he equivocates constantly and never takes a stance on what he is seeing.

Aikman is a better analyst. So is Cris Collinsworth. Charles Davis may be the most underrated analyst on TV - he's outstanding, and his booth with Ian Eagle is my current favorite. Mark Sanchez isn't too bad either.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
How do you know it’s the off-season? Because we discuss threads like this. Nothing better to talk about:popcorn:

_sturt_

Reaction score
I've noticed nothing.

Then again, I'm not paid to try to find things to notice. Some people are.

That's my take.

"Sports media critic" is just a strange thing to pay anyone to be. I mean, really. Think about it.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Romo is likely bored out of his mind and would rather be playing golf at this point than bother with this bs every sunday.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They're useless but to those that are casual fans or don't know much about the sport. To those who have a better idea and go to live games, I would think, prefer to not here blanket comments about what you already know.
About as useless are the sideline reporters. Telling you what someone just did.
I always wished there was a setting so you could choose the commentators if you wanted to, but could listen to the on field sounds as you follow along. The constant talking is annoying.
Jmo

Plankton

Reaction score
They're useless but to those that are casual fans or don't know much about the sport. To those who have a better idea and go to live games, I would think, prefer to not here blanket comments about what you already know.
About as useless are the sideline reporters. Telling you what someone just did.
I always wished there was a setting so you could choose the commentators if you wanted to, but could listen to the on field sounds as you follow along. The constant talking is annoying.
Jmo
If you have a home theater system that does 5.1 audio, just mute the center channel, and you will get what you want.

Reactions: G2