News: Richard high on rookie Michael Jackson

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, Kris Richard obviously got his long, tall drink of water as his CB. I hadn't heard that Mike wanted to come to Dallas bad enough to make such a bold statement, though. More good news is that he's making a favorable impression in OTAs thus far. Here's hoping Mike Jackson does his thing on the field and dances as well back there as the original Michael Jackson once did. I'm really liking the impression he's made so far! Here's hoping it continues.

Same here. Hopefully, he lives up to and surpasses the reputation he's apparently building.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I won't be shocked if we have a Byron Jones replacement among this group of young guys. Between the lack of turnovers, this hip injury and missed time, and the cost of the next contract, I would be more surprised if they re-signed Jones than replaced him.

Yeah, hard to say, although it'll be tough to cut a talented CB out of the lineup. Seems like a 50-50 thing to me but we'll see. I'm hoping the injury and the presence of Mike Jackson influences Byron Jones and his agent not to demand an exorbitant amount. Some tough decisions lie ahead.

Last edited:

cern

Reaction score
What excites me most about Jackson isn’t his physical traits, though I do like his size. It is his mental makeup. He’s a smart, mature guy who takes football very seriously and works on his craft. He loves the game, too. Plus, he’s tough and does have a bit of a mean streak which is something I like to see on defense.

IMO, that mental side is bigger than people think. Physically, so many players are close in athleticism at the NFL level and it is the mental side that really separates players.

I think he has a chance to be good.
The same was said about byron jones when he was drafted. It was said he was very coachable. It showed last year as he made the pro bowl. Just needed a good coach. He finally got one.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Good fit for what Richard likes to do. I'm not sure he'd thrive in every scheme.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being Lewis despite not being prototypical for Richard. It's easier for me to buy into at this point a third-round pick who has shown some ability to play on this level making that leap than a prototypical player that no one valued until the fifth round. I will be a little surprised if Jackson's career doesn't end up more similarly to Brown's, but I'd certainly welcome if he turned out to be a true find.

And I'm not knocking Brown, who has been a decent player for where he was drafted.

Keep in mind that most of the Legion of Boom consisted of later round draft picks. I think both Sherman and Chancellor were fifth round picks. I think Richard believes completely in his prototypes and his technique.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
I won't be shocked if we have a Byron Jones replacement among this group of young guys. Between the lack of turnovers, this hip injury and missed time, and the cost of the next contract, I would be more surprised if they re-signed Jones than replaced him.

"The lack of turnovers" isn't confined to Jones.
It's what the defense does (or doesn't do in this case).

gmoney112

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most of the Legion of Boom consisted of later round draft picks. I think both Sherman and Chancellor were fifth round picks. I think Richard believes completely in his prototypes and his technique.

Byron Maxwell is another guy that fit this prototype, ended up getting a big ol' contract from Philly after his rookie deal in Seattle. He was a 6th rounder.

I'm intrigued at what can become of Thriller, err, Michael Jackson :laugh:

He's more gifted physically than Brown coming out, more comparable to Awuzie as far as metrics, but was about 10 pounds heavier. 210 is a pretty big boy for CB, and he's very athletic at that size.

Obviously, reasons why he fell to the 5th round with his attributes. But, press Cover 3 / Cover 1 with his speed, length, and jumping ability will be interesting. Supposedly a pretty good run defender too. He certainly fits the mold.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"The lack of turnovers" isn't confined to Jones.
It's what the defense does (or doesn't do in this case).

He's the biggest example however. He was on the field for 99% of defensive snaps and didn't force a single interception. Conversely, Jourdan Lewis played 18% and had a pick.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Byron Maxwell is another guy that fit this prototype, ended up getting a big ol' contract from Philly after his rookie deal in Seattle. He was a 6th rounder.

He's more gifted physically than Brown coming out, more comparable to Awuzie as far as metrics, but was about 10 pounds heavier. 210 is a pretty big boy for CB, and he's very athletic at that size.

Obviously, reasons why he fell to the 5th round with his attributes. But, press Cover 3 / Cover 1 with his speed, length, and jumping ability will be interesting. Supposedly a pretty good run defender too. He certainly fits the mold.

I hope Jackson does well, but he'll always be Plan B in my eyes after they missed out on Houston CB Isaiah Johnson taking Pollard instead. We'll see who becomes the better pro player.

GhostOfPelluer

Reaction score
Garrett is a chameleon. He just adapts to his environment to survive.
So Garrett stinks because of his past decision making. But when Garrett tries to improve or adapt he’s just a chameleon trying to survive. Have some cheese with that whine.

Techsass

Reaction score

Any idea on what those reasons were? I see a the Miami fans on here really like him, but he was still there in the 5th.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I was going to say, I can't wait for all the MJ jokes the entire season. Lol I'm sure the player is sick of hearing them too.
It's one thing when the "joke" actually has context, but to force a stupid comment like that at the end is terrible. Smooth Criminal is completely out of the blue. It'd make just as much sense to say, "...the time he said he'd be Billy Jean.", or "...the time he said he'd be The Man in the Mirror". It actually would have been better to say he'd be a Thriller, or he'd be Bad. At least those are things someone might actually say to someone else.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
The same was said about byron jones when he was drafted. It was said he was very coachable. It showed last year as he made the pro bowl. Just needed a good coach. He finally got one.
Yeah, but we didn’t hear that he had a mean streak... at least I didn’t. IMO, that is missing on Jones (though I do think he’s a good player). It is something I love to see in a defender.