News: Richard high on rookie Michael Jackson

kskboys

Reaction score
Any idea on what those reasons were? I see a the Miami fans on here really like him, but he was still there in the 5th.
1. Though he might be OK in a zone heavy scheme, he's more of a press corner that would not fit just any D scheme.
2. Jackson had a 4 pick breakout campaign in 17, but was hesitant last season and didn't record any picks.
3. Loses a step in transition. Average coordination and quickness w/ his feet.
4. MIA had a disappointing season.

Sage3030

Reaction score
Just had to end the article with stupid, not even contextual joke.

It was weak, and stupid, but with the guys name being Michael Jackson, and smooth criminal being a Michael Jackson song, it was within context.

I’d liken the smooth criminal to being an interception machine.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It was weak, and stupid, but with the guys name being Michael Jackson, and smooth criminal being a Michael Jackson song, it was within context.

I’d liken the smooth criminal to being an interception machine.
That's a bit of a stretch, I think. Even if that's what the writer actually meant, without any reference to interceptions in the entire article, it's iffy, at best IMO. :rolleyes:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Keep in mind that most of the Legion of Boom consisted of later round draft picks. I think both Sherman and Chancellor were fifth round picks. I think Richard believes completely in his prototypes and his technique.

I know that he does and that has led to some late-round success, but Sherman and Chancellor are still the exceptions rather than the rule. What he looks for and teaches creates a better chance of success, but it's still fairly low, especially in regards to finding players as good as Sherman and Chancellor. There's a much better chance of Jackson being a contributor than there is of him being a starter, much less a top-quality starter.

Like I said, I hope for it, but I do that every year with the players we acquire. We've got two later-round secondary picks (Jackson, Wilson) that we hope will prove to be better than where they were picked, and there's some hope for Chris Westry as well.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Byron Maxwell is another guy that fit this prototype, ended up getting a big ol' contract from Philly after his rookie deal in Seattle. He was a 6th rounder.

They got both Sherman and Maxwell the same year (a year after Chancellor in 2010). In between those two picks, they chose DB Mark LeGree, who did absolutely nothing as a fifth-round pick. The next year, they added two DBs in the sixth round who were just contributors at best: Jeremy Lane and Winston Guy. The next year, it was Tharold Simon in the fifth who just turned out to be a contributor, but better than Eric Pinkins the next year in the sixth. Tye Smith in the fifth and Ryan Murphy in the seventh in 2015 did nothing for Seattle. Finally, in 2017 (Richard's last year there), there was Tedric Thompson in the fourth (who was pretty good at free safety last year) and Mike Tyson, a contributor, in the sixth.

So you could say Seattle had been trying to emulate the success it had in 2010 (when the Seahawks also took Earl Thomas in the first) and 2011, but had not really been able to do it since (eight picks from the fourth round on) except with Thompson. They did get some brief periods of good play from a few of them, but nothing close to the finds that Chancellor, Sherman and even Maxwell were.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fluff article written by a moron who thought that Stephen being on the phone during the Amari Cooper trade talks was proof he ran the team.

cern

Reaction score
Looks like another great pick by mcclay and our ad hoc gm Stephen Jones.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
He's definitely got the tools to succeed here and I thought he was well worth a shot in the fifth, but on tape, I just don't think he looks like that good of a player. He can cover nine routes for fun, but like KSK said, he loses a step when he transitions, and he often looks a beat slow recognizing when the receiver breaks. I don't think he's got great anticipation.

It's not fair to call him an athlete playing football, as he looks very willing to hit people and get his hands dirty, but he's not a great football player right now.

On the positive side, his size-speed combo is off the charts, and while he's stiff, that's not a huge issue in a press-coverage system. Byron has very average hips and has succeeded. Jalen Ramsey has average change of direction and has succeeded. So Jackson landed in the right defense for his skills. And he has the NFL's best DBs coach coaching him up, who succeeded time and again in turning mid-round height/weight/speed guys into contributors in Seattle.

So I think Jackson's got a way better chance of making it than your average 5th round pick - the problem is that your average 5th round pick's chance of making it as a starter is like 10%.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He's definitely got the tools to succeed here and I thought he was well worth a shot in the fifth, but on tape, I just don't think he looks like that good of a player. He can cover nine routes for fun, but like KSK said, he loses a step when he transitions, and he often looks a beat slow recognizing when the receiver breaks. I don't think he's got great anticipation.

It's not fair to call him an athlete playing football, as he looks very willing to hit people and get his hands dirty, but he's not a great football player right now.

On the positive side, his size-speed combo is off the charts, and while he's stiff, that's not a huge issue in a press-coverage system. Byron has very average hips and has succeeded. Jalen Ramsey has average change of direction and has succeeded. So Jackson landed in the right defense for his skills. And he has the NFL's best DBs coach coaching him up, who succeeded time and again in turning mid-round height/weight/speed guys into contributors in Seattle.

So I think Jackson's got a way better chance of making it than your average 5th round pick - the problem is that your average 5th round pick's chance of making it as a starter is like 10%.
The kick-step Richard teaches is sort of the equalizer for the big guys who have tight hips.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1. Though he might be OK in a zone heavy scheme, he's more of a press corner that would not fit just any D scheme.
2. Jackson had a 4 pick breakout campaign in 17, but was hesitant last season and didn't record any picks.
3. Loses a step in transition. Average coordination and quickness w/ his feet.
4. MIA had a disappointing season.

Richard Sherman (draft report)
Sherman is a size prospect with some good intangibles that will help him mold into a contributing backup corner for a press-heavy team. However, he does not possess the natural coverage instincts, fluidity or burst to be considered a future starter. Is comfortable and capable in press man, using his size to disrupt receivers' releases off the line, but doesn't show enough make up speed to consistently recover when beaten. Awareness in zone and off-man are only adequate. Has average ball skills but some upside as a play-maker. Tough against the run but still developing from a technical standpoint. Sherman is a Day 3 prospect.

Can be baited out of position when in zone and a tick late to diagnose underneath routes. Tall, high-cut prospect who displays some hip-stiffness. Not explosive when transitioning or when changing direction. Lacks great recovery skills when beaten off the line. Can struggle tacking in the open field at times.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
He's the biggest example however. He was on the field for 99% of defensive snaps and didn't force a single interception. Conversely, Jourdan Lewis played 18% and had a pick.

So what! A guy could have one play and get a pick.

Calling out individuals on defense for not getting turnovers is ignoring the fact that nobody gets much of anything around here.

This is a problem that goes way beyond any one player.