Rico was left on IR even tho he was healthy

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
That is my concern with him plus his speed he is slower than Witten on Witten"s worst day Speed is not everything but if you can not take a hit you have problems in the NFL
If you are going by Witten's time from 15 years ago vs Rico today that is laughable

Rico's athleticism is thru the roof and his speed is no concern..... remember he played DI basketball

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Some differences of PUP vs. IR:

To be on PUP, you have to be placed on it when TC starts. If you have 1 practice, you can no longer be on PUP nor be placed on PUP.

To be placed on IR there are a few factors when to be placed on IR. You can be placed on IR right before the season starts. Even it is an injury less than 6 weeks to recover. And you do not need to be designated to return, like it used to be. The team can use it for any player. Normally a main player if a 4 week injury, just takes up the roster spot. But for a lesser player they could place him on IR.

Also IR can be used during the season. I player gets a 5 week injury, but they do not want to use a roster spot, they can put him on IR then bring him back later.

Where the 6 week injury comes in for IR is in TC. If a player is injured, they just can't put him on IR and bring in another camp body. If so, then teams would have 120 players to pick. and choose for practices. They would need to release that player with an injury settlement to bring in another player.
However if shown that it is a 6 week or longer injury, such as a torn ACL. Then they can go ahead and put them on IR. No they still can release them as in some case they do with an injury settlement as opposed to keeping them on IR all season. A Botton tier guy or just a camp body, you would release. A player like Rico they kept.

Maybe these rules changed in the last year, or I may be slightly off, but that is pretty much how I understand it.
The only players that can come back from the IR are ones that first make the final 53 and you only get 2 of them after 8 weeks on the IR

Players put on the IR during TC are first waived and are exposed to being scooped up by other teams...... they can then work out an injury settlement so they will be released when healthy

Gather's injury didn't rise to a season long IR stint and everyone knew it...... but they didn't want to expose him to waivers so they exaggerated the concussion with talks of a broken jaw..... I am sure the NFL could find a violation if they wanted to

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The most criminal thing about stashing the kid for a whole year with no practice time to learn was it was to put Kellen moore back on the team.
At first I thought he should practice all year but he could still go to meetings and workout

But with 4 TEs already on the roster he may not have gotten many reps anyways and the amount of actual coaching during practice is almost non-existent today

The idea he is slow and lumbering like a 35 year old Witten is ridiculous

visionary

Reaction score
Or maybe he's frustrated with coaches and their "process" and wants out. Not a stray thought among the receiving group in recent years.

How can anybody be frustrated with "the process"
Cowboys fans have been in "the process" for 8 years and some like @Idgit are living the dream

To be fair, their dream was mediocrity, so there is that

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How can anybody be frustrated with "the process"
Cowboys fans have been in "the process" for 8 years and some like @Idgit are living the dream

To be fair, their dream was mediocrity, so there is that

My dream is to address the stuff that doesn’t work, rather than changing out the parts that do because I’m unsatisfied and impatient and believe ‘someone ought to pay.’ Is that settling for mediocrity? Or is it just a disagreement regarding where the issues in Dallas actually are? I’ll leave it to higher-functioning posters to decide for themselves.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Gathers had no place on the field with his limited ability to block and he was never going to be an option over Witten. They didn't want to put him on the PS because he would have been snatch away by another team. Knowing he wasn't likely to get any playing time but still wanting to give him time to develop, it was smart to just keep him on the IR list. Now he has the opportunity to show what he's learned and compete for a TE job.

irishline

Reaction score
Gather's injury didn't rise to a season long IR stint and everyone knew it...... but they didn't want to expose him to waivers so they exaggerated the concussion with talks of a broken jaw..... I am sure the NFL could find a violation if they wanted to

It didn't have to rise to the level of a season long injury. IR rules state that it must be a "major injury"... Per NFL rules "A major injury is described as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks — or 42 calendar days — from the date of injury." He was injured on August 16th, by rule that meant that if could not practice or play until September 27th he was eligible. Anything beyond that date is irrelevant. At that point he would either be one of the two that could be brought off IR or be left on it for the season.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/7...serve-nfi-list-rules-2017-san-francisco-49ers
http://www.dummies.com/sports/football/new-nfl-injuredreserve-ir-rule/

You can argue that they exaggerated it sure, but if there was a jaw or neck injury, as reported, 6 or so weeks is more than a realistic timeline to be away from football activities..

Gathers had no place on the field with his limited ability to block and he was never going to be an option over Witten. They didn't want to put him on the PS because he would have been snatch away by another team. Knowing he wasn't likely to get any playing time but still wanting to give him time to develop, it was smart to just keep him on the IR list. Now he has the opportunity to show what he's learned and compete for a TE job.

This ^ Though the injury made it possible to do.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It didn't have to rise to the level of a season long injury. IR rules state that it must be a "major injury"... Per NFL rules "A major injury is described as an injury that renders the player unable to practice or play football for at least six weeks — or 42 calendar days — from the date of injury." He was injured on August 16th, by rule that meant that if could not practice or play until September 27th he was eligible. Anything beyond that date is irrelevant. At that point he would either be one of the two that were brought off IR or left on it for the season.

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/7...serve-nfi-list-rules-2017-san-francisco-49ers
http://www.dummies.com/sports/football/new-nfl-injuredreserve-ir-rule/

This ^ Though the injury made it possible to do.
A concussion is not a 6 week injury.......they have a 7 day DL for concussions in MLB

Kaiser

Reaction score
ather's injury didn't rise to a season long IR stint and everyone knew it...... but they didn't want to expose him to waivers so they exaggerated the concussion with talks of a broken jaw..... I am sure the NFL could find a violation if they wanted to

I think they plan was always to have Gathers on the PS for 2017 because his blocking still needed a lot of work. But when he looked great as a receiver in the preseason they knew they had to do it on the IR. If it wasn't the injury he had, they would have dreamed up some fake back spasms or something.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I think they plan was always to have Gathers on the PS for 2017 because his blocking still needed a lot of work. But when he looked great as a receiver in the preseason they knew they had to do it on the IR. If it wasn't the injury he had, they would have dreamed up some fake back spasms or something.
Exactly and it was obvious

The hit has minor and then they never talked about it again

In fact the rumor was that they paid him $1 less the vet min in 2016 to ride the Practice Squad knowing some teams would try to scoop him up and he would decline if he was getting $449,999 instead of the normal $117,000

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
If you are going by Witten's time from 15 years ago vs Rico today that is laughable

Rico's athleticism is thru the roof and his speed is no concern..... remember he played DI basketball
When Witten retired he was still faster than Rico

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The most criminal thing about stashing the kid for a whole year with no practice time to learn was it was to put Kellen moore back on the team.

This is a false characterization. Had the Cowboys really wanted to get Rico on the roster they would have found a way to do it whether they kept Kellen Moore or not. Putting Rico on the DL wasn't the only possible way the team could have kept Moore.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
What are you talking about? There aren't any idiots on Twitter!
Right? I haven't joined yet!

tumblr_n1tjsc5gSa1qems7ao2_500-1.gif

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This is a false characterization. Had the Cowboys really wanted to get Rico on the roster they would have found a way to do it whether they kept Kellen Moore or not. Putting Rico on the DL wasn't the only possible way the team could have kept Moore.
It was the lazy path of least resistance. It was a way to get more on the roster without having to actually cut someone. Typical shortsightedness from the staff and f.o.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
At first I thought he should practice all year but he could still go to meetings and workout

But with 4 TEs already on the roster he may not have gotten many reps anyways and the amount of actual coaching during practice is almost non-existent today

The idea he is slow and lumbering like a 35 year old Witten is ridiculous
Well he would have been the 4th before jarwin and not for nothing I would rather have what I've seen from Rico over jarwin.

Just makes me mad that they waste a year of the kids life and another year he could have taken a step forward in development. But I mean thinking we can develop a tight end is wishful thinking anyway

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A concussion is not a 6 week injury.......they have a 7 day DL for concussions in MLB
He says it took 7 weeks to clear him.

Rico Gathers confirms he was cleared from concussion after Week 7, says Cowboys left him on IR.