RIP Kobe Bryant ** respectful posts only! **

Mountaineerfan

Reaction score
Top 5 all time isn't a pretty good player

The mountaineers are a pretty good school...

I agree it's only pretty good school but it's not above you know the institute of college sports no school should be. I'm just glad Kobe got through his troubles and became a better person than player according to his friends and family.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
our creator uses people MANY TIMES for a teaching moment,to change the course of a few lives...to change the trajectory. That's what may have occurred here. Our Father in heaven is like any worthy father on Earth, they wanna see their children succeed and be good stewards. Its still hard to fully grasp, but if we take a few steps back and think...it falls into line.

I know the board doesn't want a big theological discussion but after what people consider tragedies, I think sometimes this is what people tell themselves to have an answer (any answer) for the unexplainable because it's settling. But maybe there's not some deep philosophical meaning behind lives that end suddenly or in unexpected ways. Maybe stuff "just happens" and people will glean from it what they will. I'm also a believer but I'm amazed at how people immediately rush to "this was all part of some plan" while at the same time overlooking verses in the same book that say sometimes spit happens.

kskboys

Reaction score
I know the board doesn't want a big theological discussion but after what people consider tragedies, I think sometimes this is what people tell themselves to have an answer (any answer) for the unexplainable because it's settling. But maybe there's not some deep philosophical meaning behind lives that end suddenly or in unexpected ways. Maybe stuff "just happens" and people will glean from it what they will. I'm also a believer but I'm amazed at how people immediately rush to "this was all part of some plan" while at the same time overlooking verses in the same book that say sometimes spit happens.
We have free will. Can't be part of a plan.

Basically, the heli was flown in heavy fog, when all other helis were grounded. Bad decision by someone.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
This is BS ...I should be with my people....not sitting up here mad I didn’t buy new tires when I should have. That’s who I followed like Emmitt Smith from day one on. Always going through box scores first morning paper over coffee. Most those people on TV not full on fans of his....not stick it out with him through it all. More hair raising,drama and exciting moments than any althete has giving me. What a story....and his is a great story. Even the heart wrenching ending in his sneaks with his best pal going to a game.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You know when people say things like "its just sports....."....times like these are when its a reminder that its more than sports. Its more than fandom. You start to grow up with these guys for 20 + years and start to see them as family and friends. Sure....they have no idea who we are and never will more than likely. But their loss is our loss.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
I’ve long felt that, If everything is all “gods plan”. Then god is seriously messed up, considering all of the absolutely horrific things that happen all over the world on a pretty regular basis.

For that reason, I really hope everything isn’t part of a plan.
I know I shouldn’t be here...I know that I’m being kept around for something,and that I’ve failed a lot of people.
I know if I truly wasn’t worried about consequences...I’d be Billy The Kid tomorrow raising hell and robbing banks in grand fashion style,using movie lines that don’t belong to him. “Well,I’m here Huckleberry...”. and show these losers how to do bad things the right way again,and put some swing back in the craft. I can’t get behind today’s dirtbags...give me something to play for. Something like “The clean bandit” where he sweeps up the broken window glass after,and leaves an apology note with movie tickets for two etc.

coult44

Reaction score
Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Emmitt Smith, Walter Payton, and Kobe Bryant are my top 5 athletes ever. Sadly two of these guys are gone. And honestly we almost lost another one just a couple of years ago. Although I really don’t know or ever knew them, and they will never know me, they have been a part of my life for so long I feel it’s only natural to mourn when they are gone. They’ve brought me joy and gave me experiences in my life that made days or certain time periods better. I’m grateful for the memories I have of Mamba , just like I was for the memories I had of Sweetness. RIP 8/24

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"May 2018, a few weeks after my retirement speech, I see Kobe in NYC. He had seen the tape, and was instantly fascinated by the intricacies of the Y-Option Route. For next 30 minutes, we pull up the clip, and he asks question after question of the technique, the strategy, the mindset of every variation of the route, and how the defense would try and stop it. I told him how I had adopted a mantra of his over the years—you can’t cheat the muse— as a way to stay disciplined.

Those mornings when you didn’t want to wake up, or get in the extra balls after practice. If my son wasn’t putting in the effort for a test at school I would tell him. You can’t cheat the muse. You can’t. And everything Kobe did in life, he set the standard. Kobe Bryant knew that the path to success in anything in life is not easy, and not for everyone. You might be able to slide by a day at practice, and get away with it. But, the muse would know. The muse always knows. As a father, and as a competitor.

Few weeks later, I get a note from Kobe: I’m excited for the world to learn from you. Be in touch. KB

I’ll never forget you Kobe, what a damn life. You never cheated the muse, and we are all better off because of your standard of excellence. RIP"

3ney3l.jpg
https://imgflip.com/memegenerator

HotDog37

Reaction score
I would tune in to watch Kobe play and pay attention to how smooth he was and at the same time how devastating he could be to his opponents. It was unreal. He could dominate everyone on the court at will.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Check out Fallon’s memorial monologue.

I’ve never seen so many people ....It’s just unreal...the FO can’t function right now..it was too much for Jeanie and went to his house to stay with his wife ASAP. They didn’t even say anything on home page really...knew what that meant.

Blue64

Reaction score
R.I.P. Kobe Bryant... as an athlete he transcended all sports and set an example and an inspiration for all to follow.
Condolences to his family and the families of all who lost their lives.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I know I shouldn’t be here...I know that I’m being kept around for something,and that I’ve failed a lot of people.
I know if I truly wasn’t worried about consequences...I’d be Billy The Kid tomorrow raising hell and robbing banks in grand fashion style,using movie lines that don’t belong to him. “Well,I’m here Huckleberry...”. and show these losers how to do bad things the right way again,and put some swing back in the craft. I can’t get behind today’s dirtbags...give me something to play for. Something like “The clean bandit” where he sweeps up the broken window glass after,and leaves an apology note with movie tickets for two etc.

Kobe and his daughter's death as well as the others that perished in the copter had nothing to do with a creator, karma, fate etc. It likely is collective decision making, poor visibility, pilot error or something mechanical or electrical with the copter. Millions of people die everyday. If there is a god I think he has better and less vicious things to do then find ways to "take" people. Instead of focusing on the how and why's let's ruminate how precious life is and that we can cease to exist any given moment. It's a short ride even if you die of natural causes folks so let's strive to appreciate that and be a little bit kinder.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear what that former 19 year old girl deems respectful ...
Condolences to the other (seemingly not as important to some) people who lost their lives in that crash.

Not sure why you're taking things there but if a high-profile public figure dies with others, of course that person is going to garner the overwhelming majority of focus. Doesn't mean the others aren't as important, only that they were not as well-known.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Why would you have to put “respectful posts only”?

Are people that sick? The man has a family mourning. The accident was a tragedy. Other people died. Just a sad story all around.