Roger Goodell has a Jerry Jones problem

wssaustin

Reaction score
I know Jerry was very pissed, but I doubt he'd say things like that over the phone.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They lost me from transferring to the new stadium when I read the fine print that the PSL's are actually just a 30 year lease - which is a fact I think a lot of Cowboys S.T.H.ers to this day still don't realize. Basically their value will dwindle down to $0 within ~20 years from now.

I bet anything the STHers are going to be forced to re-buy those licenses in 2039.

Yes I took into account for that. But also went into it planning not to keep them for the entire time. ten years max was the plan. In 2039, Jerry may want another new stadium anyway. LOL.

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yeah...this season is over. Too many distractions. The face of your franchise and Goodell are about to go to a very ugly battle and somehow the football team is supposed to focus on football while all of this is going on? :huh: Just gimme that mid-1st round draft pick and I'll see you in 2018!

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Yeah...this season is over. Too many distractions. The face of your franchise and Goodell are about to go to a very ugly battle and somehow the football team is supposed to focus on football while all of this is going on? :huh: Just gimme that mid-1st round draft pick and I'll see you in 2018!

Patriots won a superbowl with the same distractions at a much more important position. :(

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
It hope it does too, but I am very worried about Jones overplaying his hand. IMHO, he is actually starting to make Goodell look like the sympathetic figure here, especially among other owners.

If the owners care enough to take a good look at what has transpired in the past and what is now taking place with respect to Goodell's corrupt practices, they might see fit to oust him. His actions in regards to corrupting his own investigation of Zeke were blatantly wrong. Such a wrongful precedent is certain to affect other players from many other teams in the future if it continues.The negative effect that it would have upon the NFL should cause more owners to reconsider renewing Goodell's contract. If not, they deserve the consequences that follow.

Ghost12

Reaction score
If the owners care enough to take a good look at what has transpired in the past and what is now taking place with respect to Goodell's corrupt practices, they might see fit to oust him. His actions in regards to corrupting his own investigation of Zeke were blatantly wrong. Such a wrongful precedent is certain to affect other players from many other teams in the future if it continues.The negative effect that it would have upon the NFL should cause more owners to reconsider renewing Goodell's contract. If not, they deserve the consequences.
I agree with what you are saying, but let's be honest here. Owners - including Jerry - don't care about ousting Goodell when Goodell is screwing over someone else.

When Goodell was screwing over the Patriots, Jerry said Goodell was doing a good job. I doubt there is a single owner interesting in ousting Goodell over him screwing the Cowboys. (They may have other reasons, but not this one)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then you get what we have now...

A commissioner that's too powerful, can be influenced by owners on the competition committee, and slap domestic violence on players just for the fun of it.
In retrospect, you're right. But at the time, I can see why Jerry would have decided to keep a low profile on that one.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The season ticket holders and the PSL's paid or is paying most of that back to him.
some paid it up front, as well as the any private boxes. Others financed for up to 30 years at 8% interest.

For the PSL's you paid a good portion over the 1st year every 3 months.

My dad and I are geeky CPA's that like to crunch numbers

He used to have 2 seats at around the 45 yard line, 20 rows up on the Cowboys side of the old Texas Stadium. So when he was offered similar seats in the new stadium he was shocked to see the PSL's were going to be approx $150K (IIRC, ballpark from memory). Needless to say, he ultimately passed but we couldn't resist running the numbers on how much jeri could potentially bring in if he sold all the PSLs at the prices they were asking.

~drum roll please~

We estimated he would profit over 1 billion dollars if he were to sell all PSLs at full price!

Thats 1 BILLION in profit!!!

Now obviously he didn't sell all the PSLs nor get full price but we concluded that there is an excellent chance he had all or most of the loans paid in full from the sell of PSLs and may have managed to eek out a profit while paying off his stadium debt in full which IIUC, is currently fully paid off allowing the Cowboys to make HUGE profits with little to no underlying debt. (By the way the city officially owns the stadium and issued bonds for approximately 300 million for the a portion of the construction costs to which jeri had no liability other than annual rents to the city of approximately 2.5 million. The bonds are to be paid off with a half cent sales tax increase and the area has done so well, the city expects to pay the bonds off 10 years early.)

Its sickening that fans bought these PSLs because even if they wanted to protest against jeri by no longer buying tickets, they can't because they are in a contractual obligation as strong or perhaps even stronger than the note on their home.

Fans only have one piece of leverage which most are unwilling to use but in this case, the paying fans can't even use that if they wanted to, its disgusting

yimyammer

Reaction score
I read this today and think it tends to confirm JJ’s belief that Roger lied to him. I loved the comparison of Kraft to the female body part. If in fact there is a planned meeting of the owners next month to discuss the contract, then this story may have legs. I am pulling for JJ for once.

considering how wonderful that female body part is, its ironic how that word is continually used in a derogatory fashion

If someone called me that, I'd be tempted to respond with a hardy thank you

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
When Goodell was screwing over the Patriots, Jerry said Goodell was doing a good job. I doubt there is a single owner interesting in ousting Goodell over him screwing the Cowboys. (They may have other reasons, but not this one)
:laugh: When has Goodell ever "screwed over" the Patriots?

He burned the evidence of Spy Gate. They've had seven SB appearances and five victories in his tenure as commissioner. Even last year, they went 3-1 in Brady's absence and still won the SB.

This whole Goodell/Kraft feud is a puppet show. The Patriots have had more success in the past fifteen years under Goodell's tenure than any other team ever in the history of the NFL.

yimyammer

Reaction score
The main reason I got mine was when row 1 opened up. A friend was going half with me on it. He had to back out a few years later du to financial reasons. Then I took over both seats. I had to travel for my work a lot, so started selling them, but that too was a headache, working about selling them to at least break even. that is an entire different story LOL.

I had season tickets at Texas Stadium for 2 years and wanted to have first dibs at the new stadium. The sales rep said he could not tell us where comparable seats would be or what was being offered to us. Which was BS. All he said was it was about halfway up in the top 400 section around the 40 yard line.

He had offered row 8 in section 313, as that was the only other area we were interested in for the prices in other areas. We told him we would think about it. but 4 days later he called and said row 1, 2 seats just opened up. so we took those.

I hindsight, I am glad we did, I do not regret it at all. But it was time to move on from them, and have no regrets selling them.
Now if I want to go to a game, I will just buy tickets to a single game, and know where I want to sit, and how much I am willing to pay.

Do you mind elaborating on the terms of the sell?

If so, did you sell the remaining obligation of your PSL debt or was your PSL debt paid in full and you managed to recoup some of your investment?

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
It's funny because last week, the report was Jerry had virtually no support and this week the report is that the owners want to delay the contract negotiations. I truly believe Goodell has dug his own grave and will be replaced. I think Jerry will truly do everything to make sure of it.

Ghost12

Reaction score
:laugh: When has Goodell ever "screwed over" the Patriots?
You're proving my point. You are demonstrating the exact attitude towards the Patriots that fans of the other 31 currently feel about Elliott.

When Goodell screws 1 team over, nobody else cares or, if anything, they approve. So people in here who think the NFL owners and/or fandom are going to rise up in revolt against Goodell because of his actions in the Elliott case are just fooling themselves.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Why didn't they just go after him for all of the stupid stuff besides the DV case.

IF they would've suspended him for 2 or 3 games for conduct detrimental to the league nobody could've said anything really other then Goodell once again being inconsistent but they chose DOMESTIC VIOLENCE and 6 GAMES!!!!! Why?!?!?!

These multi Millionaires / Billionaires are supposed to be so smart. Maybe they're just idiots with money.

One thing I learned long ago dealing with CEOs and Chairmen of Boards is wealth/power and smarts have little to do with each other. I could tell you numerous stories I have dealt with firsthand with regards to the subject and how it has killed companies and cost countless people their jobs.

YR

Sandyf

Reaction score
My dad and I are geeky CPA's that like to crunch numbers

He used to have 2 seats at around the 45 yard line, 20 rows up on the Cowboys side of the old Texas Stadium. So when he was offered similar seats in the new stadium he was shocked to see the PSL's were going to be approx $150K (IIRC, ballpark from memory). Needless to say, he ultimately passed but we couldn't resist running the numbers on how much jeri could potentially bring in if he sold all the PSLs at the prices they were asking.

~drum roll please~

We estimated he would profit over 1 billion dollars if he were to sell all PSLs at full price!

Thats 1 BILLION in profit!!!

Now obviously he didn't sell all the PSLs nor get full price but we concluded that there is an excellent chance he had all or most of the loans paid in full from the sell of PSLs and may have managed to eek out a profit while paying off his stadium debt in full which IIUC, is currently fully paid off allowing the Cowboys to make HUGE profits with little to no underlying debt. (By the way the city officially owns the stadium and issued bonds for approximately 300 million for the a portion of the construction costs to which jeri had no liability other than annual rents to the city of approximately 2.5 million. The bonds are to be paid off with a half cent sales tax increase and the area has done so well, the city expects to pay the bonds off 10 years early.)

Its sickening that fans bought these PSLs because even if they wanted to protest against jeri by no longer buying tickets, they can't because they are in a contractual obligation as strong or perhaps even stronger than the note on their home.

Fans only have one piece of leverage which most are unwilling to use but in this case, the paying fans can't even use that if they wanted to, its disgusting
Sure it is not good for the fans that bought these PSLs although Jerry didn't force them to buy them. He offered terms that they accepted. As a small business owner and holder of two seats at Texas Stadium, I to looked at the price and terms and decided it was not in our best interest long term to keep the seats offered at the new stadium. I do not fell sorry for those that bought them because just like buying a house you should know what you are doing before you sign the contract. Jerry is a business man and has lost a lot of money and made lots and lots of money. Can't believe anyone in this country would complain about how much he makes because he makes nothing if fans do not buy.