Romo Leading Passer in NFC

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
I don't know who should be the MVP, but I know who shouldn't be the MVP.

I was watching the Det vs. Tenn game this morning and Phil Simms was suggesting that Kerry Collins may be the league MVP.

Puhlease.

Romo gets my vote. He is tearing it up right now. If we beat up on Pitt and NYG, he will take home the MVP, imo.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
RainMan;2448682 said:
Is Romo fifth?

Nope, Matt Ryan is fifth.

Remember, though, there still is plenty of time left in the voting. Two years ago, Romo wasn't even on the ballot until Nov. 27, and he still finished third in the fan voting.

bootsy

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2448734 said:

Remember, though, there still is plenty of time left in the voting. Two years ago, Romo wasn't even on the ballot until Nov. 27, and he still finished third in the fan voting.
Pro Bowl QB's will be Eli, Romo, and Brees. Warner can forget about it. He had a chance to show and prove against the NFC East teams and didn't look good.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2448734 said:

Shining before a Thanksgiving Day audience certainly won't hurt.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
windward;2447663 said:
Mvp... Mvp...MVP...

Yup, I think he just entered the conversation today with Warner losing so badly.

Brees, Warner and Portis are all candidates but if Romo leads this team to a playoff birth with a late season run he will be hard to deny. His numbers are ridiculous.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Yard are very important also. Brees has that one. I hear Warner and Brees for MVP. Brees and Rivers earlier on while Romo had very simliar numbers. Nonetheless I have never heard the media mention Romo as MVP once this year. If Warner is considered a runner than there is absolutely no reason why Romo shouldn't at least be considered.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2448420 said:
I think the issue is that Romo had a streak of consecutive games with at least one interception that was broken against SF. The perception is that he is some kind of turnover machine. The truth is his INTs have yet to really hurt the Cowboys, although any turnover is a negative.

I hate the way Joe Buck said that Romo lost the playoff game against the Giants by throwing an interception in the 4th quarter. That happened to be the last Dallas play on offense, but anyone who saw that game knows that that was a desperation throw to an injured Terry Glenn with almost no time left on the clock. Dallas lost that game for a lot of reasons, but you can't say that Romo was one of them.

I'd say the INT in the WAS game was pretty harmful. Dallas was about at their own 40 and it set WAS up with a FG.

My only problem with Romo's turnovers is that they are too consistent. Every week he gives the ball over in some fashion. I just sit there and think of how damn dominant he would be if he would just be more careful with the ball.

Thankfully hes good enough to dig the team out of most the holes but it doesn't change the fact that he needs to work on protecting the ball.

Come playoff time, 1 turnover can be the difference maker.

I love the guy but I just cannot help to think that he could run over the entire league with a little more effort in protecting the ball.

Honestly, I think a lot of his problems would go away if he would just pull the ball down a little more often.

Cowboys2008

Reaction score
Now it's time for him to start making a name for himself in December and then January. Through November, so far in his short career, is nothing new.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Hoofbite;2448929 said:
I'd say the INT in the WAS game was pretty harmful. Dallas was about at their own 40 and it set WAS up with a FG.

My only problem with Romo's turnovers is that they are too consistent. Every week he gives the ball over in some fashion. I just sit there and think of how damn dominant he would be if he would just be more careful with the ball.

Thankfully hes good enough to dig the team out of most the holes but it doesn't change the fact that he needs to work on protecting the ball.

Come playoff time, 1 turnover can be the difference maker.

I love the guy but I just cannot help to think that he could run over the entire league with a little more effort in protecting the ball.

Honestly, I think a lot of his problems would go away if he would just pull the ball down a little more often.

Disagree with you on this and here's why.

Part of what makes Romo great is his inhibition. His ability to make plays without worrying too much about making a negative play.

You can't make an omlett without cracking a few eggs. Romo positive plays faaaaar outweigh is negative plays.
The evidence of this is in his QB rating. Which by the way overwheights INT's as a negative. As does conventional football thinking.

Turnovers aren't as bad as most think. 3rd and 15, the QB chucks it 50 yards downfield for an INT, that's OK, it's as good as a punt.

Plays need to be made to win games. Sometimes you have to take some risk to make them.

You want to take away a few Romo INT's. Well maybe you lose 3 ot 4 significant plays for each INT.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Undisputed;2447701 said:
With Romo this year you can literally make a case for him being the "Most Valuable Player". We actually saw what happened when he went out. Just dreadful. It's a whole different team without him.

You can't argue that a guy is most valuable b/c we sucked with him out.

Had we acquired a DECENT backup QB in the off season, we wouldn't have sucked as much. Hell, we might have even gone 2-1. A player's value should not be legitimately determined by how bad his backups are.

Romo has been outstanding. If he shows the same sort of play over the 4 games, he's the league MVP. Of course, tons of voters are going to knock him down a notch b/c he's only played 13 games.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2449589 said:
You can't argue that a guy is most valuable b/c we sucked with him out.

Had we acquired a DECENT backup QB in the off season, we wouldn't have sucked as much. Hell, we might have even gone 2-1. A player's value should not be legitimately determined by how bad his backups are.

Romo has been outstanding. If he shows the same sort of play over the 4 games, he's the league MVP. Of course, tons of voters are going to knock him down a notch b/c he's only played 13 games.
Actually, yes. A player's value to the team is relative to the team he finds himself on.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
People shouldn't sell Philip Rivers short. He is having a phenomenal season right now even though the Chargers are struggling. I was praying that we would trade for him a few years ago when they had Brees and were looking for a deal but they wanted too much and as things turned out we have Romo. Still, this kid is an outstanding QB and will continue to improve.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
ROMO is the most talented QB in the history of the Cowboys--period!

note: I love Roger and Troy!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
windward;2449597 said:
Actually, yes. A player's value to the team is relative to the team he finds himself on.

Gee, so if Romo misses three more games and we lose them and miss the playoffs then he REALLY should be the MVP.

That's just dumb logic. You can't win this award based on what happens when you are on the bench.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
percyhoward;2447585 said:
...and he's 0.1 point away from leading the league :D

Rivers....103.3...23 TD 10 INT (11 games)
Romo.....103.2...21 TD 8 INT (9 games)
Warner...102.4...21 TD 8 INT (11 games)
Brees.......99.9...22 TD 11 INT (11 games)
Garcia......94.6.....7 TD 3 INT (8 games)

Wait, he's better than Kurt MVP Warner? Impossible!

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2449678 said:
Gee, so if Romo misses three more games and we lose them and miss the playoffs then he REALLY should be the MVP.

That's just dumb logic. You can't win this award based on what happens when you are on the bench.
Never said that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Apparently you have a different conception of what establishes value. That's fine.

But then again did you ever wonder why Emmitt Smith won the MVP in 1993? A lot of it had to do with the fact that the Cowboys were 0-3 that year when he did not play or missed the majority of the game.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Alexander;2449695 said:
Wait, he's better than Kurt MVP Warner? Impossible!
and his numbers are sure to have gone down after his debacle of a performance in Philly.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
windward;2449698 said:
Never said that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Apparently you have a different conception of what establishes value. That's fine.

But then again did you ever wonder why Emmitt Smith won the MVP in 1993? A lot of it had to do with the fact that the Cowboys were 0-3 that year when he did not play or missed the majority of the game.

actually Emmitt won the award b/c he lead the league in yards and had a 5.3 YPA for a team coming off a superbowl win. He was statistically the best RB in the league, despite missing 3 games. He was dominant.

If Romo drops another 4 games like yesterday down the stretch then he is a strong candidate. But the missing games is irrelevant.

Of course that 0-3 without Smith might have been 2-1 if we had a better backup RB.

Cowboysfan22

Reaction score
He won't win MVP because people are in love with Drew Brees(isn't that good) and Kurt Warner.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
AbeBeta;2449713 said:
actually Emmitt won the award b/c he lead the league in yards and had a 5.3 YPA for a team coming off a superbowl win. He was statistically the best RB in the league, despite missing 3 games. He was dominant.

If Romo drops another 4 games like yesterday down the stretch then he is a strong candidate. But the missing games is irrelevant.

Of course that 0-3 without Smith might have been 2-1 if we had a better backup RB.

But the Cowboys Oline was so great in the 90's any random could have gotten the job done......