Romo to speak to the media today at 4:15 CDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Seemingly, some members believe Romo will discuss the team's quarterback position with the press. I contend that he should do so as well but only AFTER Jerry Jones or Jason Garrett make definitive statements regarding the position first.
I get your point, but didn't JJ already amke a definitive statement saying that Tony would be the backup this Sunday? Maybe I misread it, but I thought he did.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Yes Skip and Shannon Show on FS1 called Tony Romo "Tony Romo Jones"

Technically it's only been Shannon saying it Skip said he didn't believe it's loyalty or that he sees him as a son as to why Jerry wants Romo to start but it's Jerry wanting vindication for giving Romo that contract and proving he was right that he was a Super Bowl QB.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I get your point, but didn't JJ already amke a definitive statement saying that Tony would be the backup this Sunday? Maybe I misread it, but I thought he did.
A single weekend isn't very definitive. lol

LandryFan

Reaction score
A single weekend isn't very definitive. lol
I think you're just being obstinate here. His statement that Tony would backup this coming game implies that Tony is the backup going forward. I don't think anyone with even just a little common sense thinks otherwise. The only two things that would elevate Tony back to starter at this point would be injury to Dak or Dak completely falling apart for a minimum of two consecutive games. I pray the first doesn't happen, and I don't think the second will happen.

Last edited:

waldoputty

Reaction score
I think you're just being obstinate here. His statement that Tony would backup this coming game implies that Tony is the backup going forward. I don't think anyone with a little common sense thinks otherwise. The only two things that would elevate Tony back to starter at this point would be injury to Dak or Dak completely falling apart for a minimum of two consecutive games. I pray the first doesn't happen, and I don't think the second will happen.

Actually I tend to think that Jerry could not bring himself to say it explicitly.

DFWJC

Reaction score
lol @ people thinking this will be some made for TV moment where he announces he's stepping aside before getting the Old Yeller treatment. He's an active player now, can't avoid the media forever. This is a chance for the media to ask their questions, and then he'll get back to work on his game.
:laugh:

LandryFan

Reaction score
Actually I tend to think that Jerry could not bring himself to say it explicitly.
I'm pretty sure he did explicitly say it, but amazingly enough, there wasn't a ton of fanfare over it.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I think you're just being obstinate here. His statement that Tony would backup this coming game implies that Tony is the backup going forward. I don't think anyone with a little common sense thinks otherwise. The only two things that would elevate Tony back to starter at this point would be injury to Dak or Dak completely falling apart for a minimum of two consecutive games. I pray the first doesn't happen, and I don't think the second will happen.
It's not being obstinate. The wording in this whole situation so far has been so ambiguous and vague, I'm not going to to assume anything is a given at this point. If Dak is officially the franchise QB, and Tony the backup, then it needs to be stated as such.

Instead, all we've gotten is Romo is the backup this week, and hot hand nonsense.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

I think the opposite. Especially with the hot hand comment. Dak is not the starter the rest of the way...IMO.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he did explicitly say it, but amazingly enough, there wasn't a ton of fanfare over it.
There was no fanfare over it because all that was definitively cleared up was this weekends game. If Jerry had said this is now Dak's team, it would have been front page news.

LandryFan

Reaction score
It's not being obstinate. The wording in this whole situation so far has been so ambiguous and vague, I'm not going to to assume anything is a given at this point. If Dak is officially the franchise QB, and Tony the backup, then it needs to be stated as such.
Why does it need to be stated any more than it has already been stated? Why is that necessary? Who says so? JJ has stated that Tony will back up Dak and that you don't mess with a hot hand. Sure seems to imply that Dak is the starter unless he (a) gets injured, or (b) suddenly turns into a cold hand. They are dealing with this in the proper manner, IMO.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Why does it need to be stated any more than it has already been stated? Why is that necessary? Who says so? JJ has stated that Tony will back up Dak and that you don't mess with a hot hand. Sure seems to imply that Dak is the starter unless he (a) gets injured, or (b) suddenly turns into a cold hand. They are dealing with this in the proper manner, IMO.
Because it's gotten beyond annoying not knowing what the QB situation is, long term. It's almost turned into a game of wording. If this is Dak's team now, it literally takes two seconds to say so.

LandryFan

Reaction score
I think the opposite. Especially with the hot hand comment. Dak is not the starter the rest of the way...IMO.
You may be right, but (as I have stated a couple of times already in this thread) Dak would have to play horribly for at least two consecutive games before losing his starter's role. Quite frankly, if he crapps the bed two games in a row, I would think he probably needs to sit, myself. I'm talking multiple picks/bad losses/poor play kind of bad, here. Otherwise, he's the starter, IMO.

erod

Reaction score
Hopefully Romo is ready for some pointed questions that the media will ask. I'm sure he is. You know that the media, especially the northeastern national media, desperately want to tear this team apart with this "QB controversy".

Get ready for.....

Are you open to being traded after the season?
Do you plan to retire if you don't get your job back?
Do you bring things to the offense that Dak doesn't?
What should it take for you to get another chance?
Do you think the record would be the same or better with you instead of Dak?
Do you think Dak's performance has been overrated given the offensive line and running game he has?

I can see them sharpening their knives right now.

erod

Reaction score
Because it's gotten beyond annoying not knowing what the QB situation is, long term. It's almost turned into a game of wording. If this is Dak's team now, it literally takes two seconds to say so.

It's never any QB's team after only nine games. That takes seasons, not years. Is it Kirk Cousins' team? He's among the league leaders in lots of categories, but it's not his team. Not by a long shot.

LandryFan

Reaction score
It's only annoying to you and some other fans. Doesn't matter if we're annoyed or not. They're handling this the way they see fit, as they should. God help us if JJ starts conducting business based on fan annoyance.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Instead, all we've gotten is Romo is the backup this week, and hot hand nonsense.
That's because I don't think Dak is officially named the franchise guy. Everybody likes winning and the Cowboys are doing it with Dak at the helm. I've read it in too many different places. All the Cowboys are worried about are winning. So Dak is the starter and only his performance will keep him there.

The franchise starter stuff will all be dealt with in the offseason. Everybody just wants to keep winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.