Romo vs Dak

khiladi

Reaction score
Which is why Garrett in his first year as OC had Tony Sporano as training wheels.

Prior to that Romo did have experience playing for Parcells and got to spend time learning to be a pro from Bledsoe and Testaverde. Even Romo credits this to being a massive help to him learning to be an NFL QB and learning how to prepare like one.

Did Linehan adjust the offense or was there simply no changing of the plays because you went from a guy who was a 10+ year vet to a rookie QB and now all the plays that were called were the plays that were run simply because what rookie QB is changing plays at the LOS?

Linehan in half a season called more play action than in Romo’s best season and Dallas still runs heavy play-action, otherwise Dak suffers. Dallas was third in the league in play action usage with Dak and tops the league now. This offense is built around ZEKE period.. defenses consider Zeke more of a threat than Dak period. Nobody considered Julius Jones a threat.

Garrett in his whole career was bottom of the league in play action and had no clue how to field a running game.

the reality is, no amount of being on the practice squad can in any way, shape or form replace being the first string QB on practice, will a full roster that includes training camp.

none whatsoever.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
the reality is, no amount of being on the practice squad can in any way, shape or form replace being the first string QB on practice, will a full roster that includes training camp.

none whatsoever.

you act as though Romo ending up on the practice squad was some nefarious scheme to keep him out of playing when in reality as an undrafter rookie he was so raw that he wasn’t anywhere close to being ready to be an NFL QBs or even operate an offense. In some regards that was Prescott, but with a better OL he didn’t get killed. Now think of Romos rookie year behind the line the Cowboys had then and he most likely would never have made it out alive.

khiladi

Reaction score
you act as though Romo ending up on the practice squad was some nefarious scheme to keep him out of playing when in reality as an undrafter rookie he was so raw that he wasn’t anywhere close to being ready to be an NFL QBs or even operate an offense. In some regards that was Prescott, but with a better OL he didn’t get killed. Now think of Romos rookie year behind the line the Cowboys had then and he most likely would never have made it out alive.

What are you even talking about?

You claimed Romo was ripe with experience when he started and now your not. Dak had a complete roster.

The point is, we ruined a perfectly good SB window for this average QB who has been surrounded by talent and better coaching for years.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Ooh! Khila is in the house!
I think I shall read this thread...

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
What are you even talking about?

You claimed Romo was ripe with experience when he started and now your not. Dak had a complete roster.

The point is, we ruined a perfectly good SB window for this average QB who has been surrounded by talent and better coaching for years.
I claimed that Romo had experience playing in the NFL before Garrett was hired as OC. I see what the othe poster was talking about reading comprehension problems.

khiladi

Reaction score
I claimed that Romo had experience playing in the NFL before Garrett was hired as OC. I see what the othe poster was talking about reading comprehension problems.

what experience compared to Dak in his second year as STARTER? The ‘practice squad’? How is that equivalent to Dak with the first team roster and all pro linemen in his second year and an experience coordinator that had been around a couple years?

so again, what are you even talking about?

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
what experience compared to Dak in his second year as STARTER? The ‘practice squad’? How is that equivalent to Dak with the first team roster and all pro linemen in his second year and an experience coordinator that had been around a couple years?

so again, what are you even talking about?

Romo has 3 years on the practice squad from 2003 - 2005. Followed an entire season as QB in 2006. Garrett was hired in 2007 and his first year had Tony Sporano working the offense with him.

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo has 3 years on the practice squad from 2003 - 2005. Followed an entire season as QB in 2006. Garrett was hired in 2007 and his first year had Tony Sporano working the offense with him.

So please inform me how practice squad experience is in any way comparable to two full seasons, including training camp, with the number 1 offense, that includes multiple all-pro Linemen with an OC with multiple years of experience from the beginning that Romo had some ‘headstart’...

in essence, Dak had about as much experience as Romo as a starter and Romo in fact was basically kept behind Hutchinson, Henson and a whole bunch of other QBs including Vinny and Drew. Romo had actually less, considering he was inserted mid season for Drew..

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So please inform me how practice squad experience is in any way comparable to two full seasons with the number 1 offense, that includes multiple all-pro Linemen with an OC with multiple years of experience from the beginning?

I never said it was. Just that Romo
Wasn’t even good enough to make the team as a starter until his 4th year as opposed to Dak who was tossed into the fray right away.

khiladi

Reaction score
I never said it was. Just that Romo
Wasn’t even good enough to make the team as a starter until his 4th year as opposed to Dak who was tossed into the fray right away.

Dak was THIRD on the chart when he came on this roster. Moore got injured and Dak took the spot, but had it from Day 1 in training camp.

Romo was clearly good enough to be kept around, which is why Darren Woodson said, the day he first saw Romo, he was the best QB on the roster. The only reason it took so long is because Parcells was completely about bringing in his veterans.

Now this whole thread is ultimately about trying to compare Dak to Romo, as if Dak has been ‘successful’ in his early years. when he’s been basically a game manager for three years, with the best running game and OL in the business.

Romo was pushed into a roster to save the season for Parcells on a mediocre roster and with a new coordinator on Sparano, in his FIRST SEASON AS FULL TIME STARTER had the second ranked scoring offense and threw for over 4000 yards and well over 30 TDs. The problems started to arise when Garrett had complete control over the offense next year.

To claim that Romo wasn’t performing at an elite level in his early season is garbage as if Dak’s lack of progression in year 4 was similar to Romo’s ‘development’.Dak has been average, despite having way more opportunities to succeed, as far as talent, coaching and working with that talent.

The only thing that saved thus team from completely collapsing was Romo, while Dak has been a major limitation on this team’s success. We, once again, ruined a SB window for this guy.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I honestly still can't believe there are people who think Dak is as good as Tony. You either have to have been born after 2005 or hate fun to think that way.

Dak could be someday, but he's just not even close.

khiladi

Reaction score
Apparently people don’t see how often teams have one safety deep with clear man on the outside when going against Dak... Guys like Romo, even in their first year, would throw for well over 4000 yards.

Dak’s skills become very apparent in down and distance. If Dallas is putting this guy in third and manageable regularly, he is not threatening any defense with his arm, because he’s a one read QB that needs all day to throw if he has to go through his progressions..

cern

Reaction score
Who once said "wait until they get enough tape on him". What a resounding note of confidence, I couldn't believe he said that but I heard it.
He also said "someone's got to keep him out of the henhouse" seems young antonio ramiro played two sports well.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I was a huge Tony Romo fan. Living in Iggle country, I would defend him all day against the likes of McNabb, etc. I thought he was hugely underrated and not given much to work with as compared to the other greats of the day. Then Dak had to start his rookie year because Romo got hurt in preseason. Was basically thrust in because he was all we had. Played his *** off. Was Offensive Rookie of the Year. Romo was healthy again towards the end of the year but I wanted to ride the hot hand and stay with Dak. And that's what they did. Romo came in on the last drive against the Iggles in the last game and drove the team to a TD. Storybook ending to a great career. Well deserved. Well earned.
Anyway, here we are into Dak's fourth year and I am wondering how he measures up to the stud that I thought Tony Romo was. I don't have all the comeback stats, I hope someone can chime in with that but I know they both have alot of them. But I have other key QB stats. These are career stats
Romo Dak
Yds/gm 219.1 236.3
Comp pct 65.3 66.7
TD % 5.7 4.6
Int % 2.7 1.9
Pass Rating 97.1 96.9
Total Pass TDs 248 79
Rush Yds 620 1107
Rush TDs 5 21
Years Played 10 3.5
I know alot of you are Romo fans. Does everyone realize how favorably Dak compares to Romo? They are very similar in many stats but Dak has the added advantage of 21 rushing TDs and over 1100 rushing yards.
That's 4 times as many rushing TDs and almost twice as many rushing yards in about a third of a career. I know that Romo was a better pure passer and Dak is a better mobile QB but can we please realize how good we have it to have Dak as our QB for now and the year's to come? And I believe Dak is only gonna get better. What say you?
Romo Dak
0 0 NFC Championship Game Appearances
0 0 Super Bowl Appearances
1 0 Head Coach with Super Bowl Experience as a Head Coach
0 0 Playoff wins with home field advantage throughout playoffs
0 1 NFL Rookie of the Year award
0 1 Beat Big Ben, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Stafford, Joe Flacco and 2 no.1 overall QB draft picks in the same season.

The first 2 comparisons is all I care about.

cern

Reaction score
Romo was a way better QB than Dakota and its not even remotely close.

Anyone refuting this, needs their head examined
I will not yet refute that postulation, but the fact remains the denouement has yet to be written. More time is needed to make a fair and unbiased decision.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I will not yet refute that postulation, but the fact remains the denouement has yet to be written. More time is needed to make a fair and unbiased decision.
Maybe

But it shouldnt even be taken seriously as of now. In their first 4 seasons as starter, Romo beats him in almost everything.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Man this topic really triggers some folks.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter who was better. It really doesn’t. Do I think prime Romo was better than current Dak? Yes.

But Romo got old and injured and retired. He won’t ever be coming back. It happens to every athlete in every sport. It is what it is.

I also think people’s memories of his performances that happened over 10 years ago, are not as sharp
As their memories of Dak’s play over the past 3 seasons. It’s easier to pick out specifics of Dak’s
Performances because they were so recent

Honestly, all most of us remember it Romo
Back in 2006-2007 etc are the big moments of games. We don’t remember play to play what was happening. Not unless you go back and study old
Tape.

There is no doubt, whatsoever, that RoNo
Continued to improve and get better throughout his career. Including begin 4 years in the league.

I hope Dak does same.