Video: Romo wanted Dak to check out of play in Bears game

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Can Tony ball? Uhh duh. But so can Dak.
I think a lot of people aren't recognizing the success we're experiencing this season because Romo isn't at the helm. Which tells me there are a LOT of "Romo fans" before "Cowboys fans" on this forum.
Too point out Dak's mistakes like Romo hasn't done the same mistakes 100 more times, is hypocritical, and shows what a selective memory one must have to bolster their argument.

To suggest that a guy who should have been the league MVP in 2014 isn't capable of playing at that level anymore without actually seeing him play is idiotic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Don't get me wrong. I thought it was a perfect call also, but this is where settling for a lesser play might have been better. The odds of success are slim regardless of what down it is. Even if it is a TD, the Packers get the ball back with 4 minutes left. I don't think this team wins anyway. I do think that a methodical drive was needed there, similar to what the Cowboys did all of 2014 in every other game. Odds of success would have been much greater with the defense having less time on the field to end the game.
You lost me at perfect call.

Every play--offensive, defensive, special teams--boils down to proper execution. No exception. Bar none. Odds mean squat unless they can be guaranteed. Everything about the actual called play was well-executed EXCEPT the catch. Essentially that is what Romo is being blamed for.

I scream at receivers from bleachers and at my television all the time if a catchable pass is thrown: "The quarterback CANNOT hand you the ball!" It's not his job. The receiver's job is to catch passes. It's what many of them have done for as long as they have played the sport. It's what they are paid to do--sometimes handsomely. Anyways, I'm getting long-winded. I don't understand the unnecessary criticism and never will most likely.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I remember people complaining about romo and JG with playcalling and taking what defense gives, the kill stuff. etc.

The bottom line is winning the games, and dak has proven he is as good as anyone in doing that.

Tony and dak are different types of qb's.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I thought it was a perfect call also, but this is where settling for a lesser play might have been better. The odds of success are slim regardless of what down it is. Even if it is a TD, the Packers get the ball back with 4 minutes left. I don't think this team wins anyway. I do think that a methodical drive was needed there, similar to what the Cowboys did all of 2014 in every other game. Odds of success would have been much greater with the defense having less time on the field to end the game.
this is how I see it, beas was open about 4 yards deep over the middle.
Also we could have ran the ball.
Just get the first down and eat up some clock.

The pass to dez was too risky for a 4th down play.

I think it was cleve who on 3rd and 2 opted to throw to end zone, and the qb announcer said it wasnt a high % call and it failed.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
That makes zero sense. You understand Romo reads defenses but...? But what? But he knows the play we are running? And? How does that strengthen your position that Dak should play? What are you talking about?

What? You've confused me.

I didn't mean this as a slight at Dak or Romo or anyone.

This is just basic knowledge that im sure Dak recognized as well.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Sure you an...every single time if it puts the offense in the best play for the situation. Sure, it was inconsequential here, but it's still a big part of Dak's continuing education.

What bugs me outposts like yours is that it seems like you don't appreciate the fact that we have a QB here in Romo who has been very active in coaching Dak. According to Mark Sanchez, there's a special camaraderie in the QB room that is unique, considering just how competitive the situation has become. I'm sure Dak is very grateful for Romo's contribution to his maturation. He knows he could have easily found himself with a QB teammate like Brett Favre or Drew Bledsoe,both of whom wereNO help to Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady (respectively) when they were replaced.

I wish more fans would see that, instead of looking at things as a criticism

I recognize Tony's continuing contribution to Dak's development and I think it's great. I just don't think that has any bearing on who should be the starter. The team is 7-1 and Dak is playing great. When those two things change, I'll be ready to see what Romo can do with this current team.

visionary

Reaction score
Or he would keep checking out of runs and we would really hear the crying when Zeke doesn't get his touches. Sometimes you gotta run into unfavorable looks. Still got a couple of yards on that play...

This

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Cool video, but in fairness that was six weeks ago. So, not a big deal either way IMO.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
To suggest that a guy who should have been the league MVP in 2014 isn't capable of playing at that level anymore without actually seeing him play is idiotic.

I don't see anybody saying that? Everybody knows he was excellent in his prime, but that was 2 years ago. We have no idea if he is still that same QB. This is not a normal situation mind you, this guy's body has taken a beating like a player I can't remember in my lifetime. On top of that, we aren't sure he can stay on the field, in fact, I'd be willing to bet he can't. You don't get MORE durable with age. And with Dak playing lights out, why wouldn't you have doubts of replacing him with Romo?

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
The "he still got 3 yards" argument is crap.

Process > Result

It's a dumb process to run vs. 8 man boxes. Just because it resulted in a 3 yard gain doesn't mean it was the right decision.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
I don't see anybody saying that? Everybody knows he was excellent in his prime, but that was 2 years ago. We have no idea if he is still that same QB. This is not a normal situation mind you, this guy's body has taken a beating like a player I can't remember in my lifetime. On top of that, we aren't sure he can stay on the field, in fact, I'd be willing to bet he can't. You don't get MORE durable with age. And with Dak playing lights out, why wouldn't you have doubts of replacing him with Romo?

You don't see anybody saying that? You just suggested it in the very next sentence. Romo has the second highest November QB rating in NFL history. And then he decided to do it one better in December, achieving THE highest QB rating in NFL history. And now all reports coming out are saying he looks great, throwing with terrific velocity and moving around with no limitations. But we should just assume he can no longer play at that level? Why, exactly? Because he might get hurt? What the heck kind of sense does that make?

There are a whole lot of "we aren't sures" and "willing to bets" and "no ideas" in your post. Romo has never had a running game like this behind him (and I'm Murray's biggest fan) -- to simply ignore that point is utterly ridiculous.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
You don't see anybody saying that? You just suggested it in the very next sentence. Romo has the second highest November QB rating in NFL history. And then he decided to do it one better in December, achieving THE highest QB rating in NFL history. And now all reports coming out are saying he looks great, throwing with terrific velocity and moving around with no limitations. But we should just assume he can no longer play at that level? Why, exactly? Because he might get hurt? What the heck kind of sense does that make?

There are a whole lot of "we aren't sures" and "willing to bets" and "no ideas" in your post. Romo has never had a running game like this behind him (and I'm Murray's biggest fan) -- to simply ignore that point is utterly ridiculous.

I don't see anybody saying it's impossible for him to play at that level again. I'm saying we have no idea because of his injury history and lack of playing time. Combine that with how well Dak is playing; that leaves an uncomfortable uncertainty for many people. We need to take into consideration a few variables (injury history, DURABILITY, lack of playing time, rhythm) before automatically assuming he can return to 2014 level.

DandyDon52

Reaction score

one reason, it is a fast game, and tony hasnt played this year, and only played about 3 games last year.
No one can be off that long, and just step in and be like he was when he played the whole year of 2014 and 2013, I think he missed 1 game each year.
Tony played 2011-14 and got hot in 14, but he has been off too long, to play like he did back then.
Dak has played thru college and right into the pros, so he is acclimated to the game.

Last year tonys ints in the carolina game were due to him not having played in what 6-7 games.
Tony isnt a robot or magician , and look at dez and scandrick neither is yet what they were before the time off.
Scandrick said he wasnt right yet. he knows he is back at the level he was at yet.

rpntex

Reaction score
How many times do I have to say this, it would've been 4 minutes left on the clock. Catch or not, we still would have lost.

Maybe so, but the point still stands that nobody would have questioned the decision had the play worked out, whether the Cowboys won or not.

rpntex

Reaction score
Sometimes he overthinks which can be a problem, he can take a cue from the rookie as well and trust his teammates instead of trying to reinvent every snap.

Haven't you noticed how far fewer offsides there are? How the offense seems to be more cohesive? That isn't a fluke.

You mean haven't we noticed the less than .2 offensive penalties per game difference between 2016 and Romo's last season (2014)? That's all it is. At this point of the season, the Cowboys have committed 29 penalties - 3.63 per game. In 2014, dallas committed 61 penalties in 16 games - 3.81 per game. Extrapolate that over a full season, and it's 3 TOTAL PENALTIES.

That the offense is somehow "more cohesive" under Dak is a myth. Fact is it was pretty damn cohesive under Romo as well.