Roy could be suspended, Romo to have MRI on thumb per Glazer

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1839536 said:
How was he supposed to all of a sudden just wrap up? He was in a trailing position at arms length? Odds are, if he could have just grabbed him and wrapped up he would have.

His track record suggests otherwise. He doesn't make the textbook tackle even when he has the easy opportunity. I can't stand one of my once favorite Cowboys.

heavyg

Reaction score
TX_Yid;1837921 said:
To be fair it's deserved. He already broke TOs leg with that tackle (Correct me if I'm wrong) and continues to repeatedly pull the same gutless tackle whenever he's presented the opportunity.

I'm not a Roy hater, but that has got to stop.

I agree he needs to stop making that tackle. However, to call it a gutless tackle is wrong IMO. I do not agree with the rule at all. This is football. Let them play. I know somethings have to be done such as the helmet to helmet. But when your chasing someone from behind you grab what ever you can to bring them down (short of the facemask).

That being said, a rule is a rule and he continues to break the rule so he should be punished. It wouldnt break my heart at all to see him suspended a couple games.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Taz;1837899 said:
fox saying r williams MIGHT be suspended for horse collar

romor having xray

I'm almost positive he will be suspended. There was word out of the NFL the last time he got this penalty that he would be suspended next time. Thats probably why he got so upset after the penalty.

I have no problem with him being suspended. He deserves to be suspended for it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
heavyg;1839585 said:
I agree he needs to stop making that tackle. However, to call it a gutless tackle is wrong IMO. I do not agree with the rule at all. This is football. Let them play. I know somethings have to be done such as the helmet to helmet. But when your chasing someone from behind you grab what ever you can to bring them down (short of the facemask).

That being said, a rule is a rule and he continues to break the rule so he should be punished. It wouldnt break my heart at all to see him suspended a couple games.

How about you let him tackle you a few times like that and maybe you will break a leg or two. Then we will see if you still disagree with the rule.

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
THEHEREAFTER;1839539 said:
His track record suggests otherwise. He doesn't make the textbook tackle even when he has the easy opportunity. I can't stand one of my once favorite Cowboys.

Amen I feel exactly the same. Dumb Roy.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Sometimes I have an issue with him horsecolloring an opponent but not yesterday. You gotta tackle him period!

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Clove;1839463 said:
I'm just curious as to how all the other 5000 defenders are bringing down guys from behind without the horse collar?
I'll tell you how they do it.

1) Horse collar. Illegal, but it's probably the best way to do it because you don't leave your feet until you have them and they don't gain an extra 10 yards. But just because it's illegal doesn't mean other players don't do it. I mean look at all the variations of the rule. It used to be if you grab the jersey it's not illegal but inside the shoulder pads is. Or if you get an arm around the torso even when you grab the shoulder pads, that's not illegal.

2) Dive and pray. Hope you can get their waist or luckily glance off one of their legs. Odds of this working are slim.

3) Wrap up on them, jump on their back and go along for the 10 yard ride while trying to get them to the ground.

Oh BTW. McNabb didn't get injured on that play did he? The way it was made illegal so quickly after TO got hurt by it, you'd think that 99% of the time the ball carrier gets injured. It doesn't work that way.

Another BTW. Roy may get suspended, but they didn't score on that drive. Akers clanked the FG... Karma

superpunk

Reaction score
Another delicious horsecollar. Sometimes you're watching the NFL, and you start to think "Maybe this is an episode of Elmo and Friends." Which is awkward if you're with friends, because they can't understand why you suddenly pulled your pants down.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
peplaw06;1839838 said:
I'll tell you how they do it.

1) Horse collar. Illegal, but it's probably the best way to do it because you don't leave your feet until you have them and they don't gain an extra 10 yards. But just because it's illegal doesn't mean other players don't do it. I mean look at all the variations of the rule. It used to be if you grab the jersey it's not illegal but inside the shoulder pads is. Or if you get an arm around the torso even when you grab the shoulder pads, that's not illegal.

2) Dive and pray. Hope you can get their waist or luckily glance off one of their legs. Odds of this working are slim.

3) Wrap up on them, jump on their back and go along for the 10 yard ride while trying to get them to the ground.

Oh BTW. McNabb didn't get injured on that play did he? The way it was made illegal so quickly after TO got hurt by it, you'd think that 99% of the time the ball carrier gets injured. It doesn't work that way.

Another BTW. Roy may get suspended, but they didn't score on that drive. Akers clanked the FG... Karma

...is a horse collar then you probably aren't close enough to execute #3. #1 is against the rules so all you really have left is #2.

#2 is difficult because the target is so much smaller and moving away from you.

It one thing to teach tackling low at the waist and driving through the legs of the runner, but it's another thing to trip those legs up from behind.

Sometimes you end up swiping at air.

The rules are the rules and Roy has no choice, but to adjust. He's a competitor and he will have to do it or suffer the consequences.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
smarta5150;1839338 said:
There are 2 ways... go high and rip the player down or lay out head 1st and hope to God you can clip an ankle.

The 1st option works 9/10 and the latter is 1/10

One is an offensive move and the other is a defensive, its a joke.

...agenda for this.

A 1 in 10 odds for success would mean dramatic toe tackles by the defence every so often because that's all they can do or more offensive break away plays as ball carriers skip away from a feeble shoelace tackle.

Pick your poison.

JPM

Reaction score
superpunk;1839846 said:
Another delicious horsecollar. Sometimes you're watching the NFL, and you start to think "Maybe this is an episode of Elmo and Friends." Which is awkward if you're with friends, because they can't understand why you suddenly pulled your pants down.
It's what you do after your pants are down that seperate the men from the boys....

SportsAnalyzer

Reaction score
Why does he keep doing the HORSE COLLAR tackle?? I mean he knows it's not legal and he keeps doing over and over and it's not like his GOOD PLAY makes up for it. I swear he is the GRAVY STAIN of the Dallas Defense

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Yes. His parents locked him in a closet and made him write "Horse Collar" 500 times on a little "x's and o's" chalboard with pink chalk.

Then, they made him hold on the the bumper of the family car to be dragged to school every day.

It isn't his fault.

Eddie

Reaction score
If the fines don't bother him, his teammates need to smack him for giving up 15 extra yards every time he does it.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1838153 said:
No. If he gets suspended it's nonsense.

If Roy gets suspended (I'm almost positive he will) It won't be because of the horse collar tackle itself. It will be because he repeatedly breaks the rule.

It's the same practice employed in speeding cases. If you get caught speeding, you get a ticket. (fined) The more times you get caught, the higher the ticket. If you get excessive tickets, they suspend your license. Not for the actual act of speeding, but because you keep breaking the law.

cowboys822

Reaction score
****How about you let him tackle you a few times like that and maybe you will break a leg or two. Then we will see if you still disagree with the rule.
______________****

ok. As long as Im also getting paid millions to play a freaking game! The rule is dumb!

superpunk

Reaction score
The NFL fined Brandon Marshall 15,000 for throwing snow into the air after a celebration.

They've not only made the sport more effeminate, but they've attempted to remove all personality and creativity from their players because the majority of their white, protestant, middle-aged fan-base cannot stand to see young black men showing off for the cameras.

But bravo, NFL rules peoples....I'm loving seeing people flagged for spiking the ball after a play...unless the spike traveled backwards. Maybe next they can regulate interior blocking because we wouldn't want our offensive linemen to have their legs rolled up on.

The NFL of the future.

CowboysvsSteelers.jpg

Completely dehumanized and injury-free. What's not to like?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Clove;1839463 said:
I'm just curious as to how all the other 5000 defenders are bringing down guys from behind without the horse collar?

...draw up plays that allow the defenders to be near or in front of the play. That gives the defenders the best positioning to make a tackle.

Tackling from behind and more specifically a horsecollar is something you see when a ball carrier has either broken down the coverage or his principle defender.

That's why we saw it on McNabb. A DC doesn't plan for a scramble by the QB. It's a broken play. Usually a play like that going for decent yardage has a high percentage of being stopped from behind as the defenders are chasing the ball carrier.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Super, you are so off the mark its not even funny. Not about the NFL getting PC- but the why of it. Race has nothing to do with it.

heavyg

Reaction score
superpunk;1840046 said:
They've not only made the sport more effeminate, but they've attempted to remove all personality and creativity from their players because the majority of their white, protestant, middle-aged fan-base cannot stand to see young black men showing off for the cameras.

While I agree with you about the NFL going overboard with the new rules. What exactely does the above statement have to do with it? :bang2: