Roy could be suspended, Romo to have MRI on thumb per Glazer

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DBoys;1837996 said:
If he gets suspended I will be curious to see if the defense improves. I wanna see Courtney Brown play.

guys, Watkins and Brown are FSs, Killer Keith will start in Roy's place, if indeed he's suspended

sacase

Reaction score
This kills me. I was at the game and McNabb was already running full speed. Roy was coming from the side reacting to McNabb. Advantage McNabb. He reached out and pulled him down. I don't have a problem with it. So stop with calling Roy slow and please explain to all of us the most efficient way to chase someone down from behind. I am sure in all of your football experience many of you routinly hawked people down from behind without horse collaring them. Oh wait, your argument is don't get behind him. Well, in this play that really wasn't an option. This is sickening, I have never seen so many people bash a team they are a "fan" of.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
TX_Yid;1837921 said:
To be fair it's deserved. He already broke TOs leg with that tackle (Correct me if I'm wrong) and continues to repeatedly pull the same gutless tackle whenever he's presented the opportunity.

I'm not a Roy hater, but that has got to stop.

I agree with EVERYTHING you said.

TexasTornado

Reaction score
I hope he doesn't get suspended...it was a football play no matter how you look at it. I still believe in Roy...

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839218 said:
I mean, if slowpoke RW can't tackle but can grab him in a horsecollar manner why not get him at the feet?.

I only saw the play once... but it looked like Roy had a chance to get McNabb around the waste and then pulled him arm away and went for horsecollar....

I am sorry... but Roy Williams is friggin duh-umb.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
TX_Yid;1837921 said:
To be fair it's deserved. He already broke TOs leg with that tackle (Correct me if I'm wrong) and continues to repeatedly pull the same gutless tackle whenever he's presented the opportunity.

I'm not a Roy hater, but that has got to stop.

Illegal yes.

Gutless no.

Its only illegal because the NFL is on the offensive players' jocks.

Have you ever tried to tackle someone from behind? Go ahead and lie, its easy on an internet forum but the reality is this...

There are 2 ways... go high and rip the player down or lay out head 1st and hope to God you can clip an ankle.

The 1st option works 9/10 and the latter is 1/10.

On another note you think there is a reason why the league allows lineman to continue to block low even though it results in more injuries than the "horse collar?"

One is an offensive move and the other is a defensive, its a joke.

sacase

Reaction score
smarta5150;1839338 said:
Illegal yes.

Gutless no.

Have you ever tried to tackle someone from behind? Go ahead and lie, its easy on an internet forum but the reality is this...

There are 2 ways... go high and rip the player down or lay out head 1st and hope to God you can clip an ankle.

On another note you think there is a reason why the league allows lineman to continue to block low even though it results in more injuries than the "horse collar?"

100% correct! RB's are taught to get their knees up when running so they can step of tackles from people diving at the legs.

cowboyeric8

Chicks dig crutches
Reaction score
sacase;1839314 said:
This kills me. I was at the game and McNabb was already running full speed. Roy was coming from the side reacting to McNabb. Advantage McNabb. He reached out and pulled him down. I don't have a problem with it. So stop with calling Roy slow and please explain to all of us the most efficient way to chase someone down from behind. I am sure in all of your football experience many of you routinly hawked people down from behind without horse collaring them. Oh wait, your argument is don't get behind him. Well, in this play that really wasn't an option. This is sickening, I have never seen so many people bash a team they are a "fan" of.

Good post. And I really don't know the answer of why they do it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
If Roy gets suspended, he'll have deserved it. Doesn't matter what some people think about it, it's a rule that's in place and it's been clearly outlined to all players that it's illegal.

And I don't understand the posts implying that if you'd ever played the game, you'd know why Roy does this. I did, and I don't. I never saw anyone tackle players like this when I played. What happened to wrapping the ballcarrier up around the waist, torso, or legs and stopping him that way?

the kid 05

Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds
Reaction score
smarta5150;1839338 said:
Illegal yes.

Gutless no.

yes i did. Back yard football no pads or helmets (keep that in mind).

he intercepted the quarterback and i was the closes one to him and hes faster then me (naturally who isn't?) and i just did a leap of faith and dove for his legs, grabbed one...the other hit me in the face and i let go. fun times. i didn't make the tackle but i got a bruises cheek bone and a swollen ear :D

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
sacase;1839413 said:
100% correct! RB's are taught to get their knees up when running so they can step of tackles from people diving at the legs.

I know. And on top of that players wear their jerseys so damn tight its nearly impossible to get a hold of it from the back.

That leaves going high as 1 of your only options... too bad the NFL protects EVERYONE on offense now. QB's have a "strike zone," WRS can't be TOUCHED or breathed on after 5 yards (whooptie-doo) and running backs/ball carriers can't be tackled from behind.

Its times like this I wish I grew up in the 70s and actually saw a man's game.

At least I got to experience it throughout my High School football days and even my Pop-Warner days.

the kid 05;1839442 said:
yes i did. Back yard football no pads or helmets (keep that in mind).

he intercepted the quarterback and i was the closes one to him and hes faster then me (naturally who isn't?) and i just did a leap of faith and dove for his legs, grabbed one...the other hit me in the face and i let go. fun times. i didn't make the tackle but i got a bruises cheek bone and a swollen ear :D

Just imagine diving at the legs from behind of BRandon Jacobs or a Jamal Lewis. Its insane, even QBs today are 6'5 240 and need to be taken down with a lot more authority.

the kid 05

Reaction score
smarta5150;1839452 said:
Just imagine diving at the legs from behind of BRandon Jacobs or a Jamal Lewis. Its insane, even QBs today are 6'5 240 and need to be taken down with a lot more authority.

pfft, i could jump on there backs and still wouldn't be able to stop them. maybe 1/10 times IF im lucky and thats a big if

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to how all the other 5000 defenders are bringing down guys from behind without the horse collar?

the kid 05

Reaction score
Clove;1839463 said:
I'm just curious as to how all the other 5000 defenders are bringing down guys from behind without the horse collar?

baseball bats, one swing and most are down for a while

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Clove;1839463 said:

There really aren't that many tackles from behind... most come from the front or sides.

And the ones from behind are usually missed tackles because of the stupid rule or they don't get called because its not #31 with a Star on his helmet.

EDIT: BTW, the horse collar is allowed on every level of football BUT the NFL.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1839472 said:
There really aren't that many tackles from behind... most come from the front or sides.

And the ones from behind are usually missed tackles because of the stupid rule or they don't get called because its not #31 with a Star on his helmet.

EDIT: BTW, the horse collar is allowed on every level of football BUT the NFL.
ok now ive heard it all in roy's defense

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Rampage;1839477 said:
ok now ive heard it all in roy's defense

I am not defending RW.

Unfortunately the rule is in affect and RW has to adapt, mainly stop doing it.

I was simply arguing the rule.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
smarta5150;1839482 said:
I am not defending RW.

Unfortunately the rule is in affect and RW has to adapt, mainly stop doing it.

I was simply arguing the rule.
i hear ya it's a stupid rule. so is the force out rule and many others in favor of the offense. but i see many tackles from behind in every game.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Rampage;1839489 said:
i hear ya it's a stupid rule. so is the force out rule and many others in favor of the offense. but i see many tackles from behind in every game.

And I have seen horse collar tackles not called but God forbid RW does it... how many flags came out today on the play?

What bothers me most about the whole horse collar issue is that there are plenty of other forms of this tackle that have the same affect on the ball carrier but aren't penalties.

A defender grabs the inner-back part of a jersey does the same thing that tackling a guy around the back of the hips and letting his own weight drag a runner down. The knees and ankles are both vulnerable to being rolled from ANY tackle from behind.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1839441 said:
If Roy gets suspended, he'll have deserved it. Doesn't matter what some people think about it, it's a rule that's in place and it's been clearly outlined to all players that it's illegal.

And I don't understand the posts implying that if you'd ever played the game, you'd know why Roy does this. I did, and I don't. I never saw anyone tackle players like this when I played. What happened to wrapping the ballcarrier up around the waist, torso, or legs and stopping him that way?

How was he supposed to all of a sudden just wrap up? He was in a trailing position at arms length? Odds are, if he could have just grabbed him and wrapped up he would have.