Roy could be suspended, Romo to have MRI on thumb per Glazer

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
"The ban states that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the shoulder pads or jersey to immediately bring a ball carrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed; in addition, the stipulation of "immediately bringing the ball carrier down" means that, if a defender begins to bring a player down by the shoulder pads but lets go before the tackle is completed, he will not be penalized."

Didn't Roy let go before the tackle was completed?

TEK2000

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1838936 said:
"The ban states that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the shoulder pads or jersey to immediately bring a ball carrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed; in addition, the stipulation of "immediately bringing the ball carrier down" means that, if a defender begins to bring a player down by the shoulder pads but lets go before the tackle is completed, he will not be penalized."

No.. McNabb was on the ground and Roy still had his collar in his hand.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1838936 said:

No. That was a legit call.

I fully expect that Roy is going to miss the Carolina game.

I've thought a great deal about this and I think he should be suspended. He has to learn to tackle in a different manner - the 15 yard penalties and fines aren't doing the trick.

FCBarca

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1837928 said:
Jay Glazer just said on Fox OT that Roy might get 1 game suspension for repeated violations of horse collar.

He said maybe 1 game check as an alternative, but I am thinking Roger nails his arse with a 1 gamer.

FREAKING GREAT:bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:

Not sure how this is a bad thing...What exactly is Roy doing out there that warrants him even being out there?...I say good riddance.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1838922 said:
If Roy goes for the legs and misses the tackle, hes the worst safety of all time.

he just can't win.

Yeah, I don't understand how else he was supposed to tackle him. He grabbed hold of something to secure his grip. Any other way, he would have had to dive at his legs and hope he tripped him up, or dived at his waist and hope he didn't slip off of his jersey.

Please, someone explain to me how Roy should have proceeded with the tackle, seeing that everyone here is a football expert :rolleyes:, since a lot of people are complaining that he should be suspended.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1839018 said:
Yeah, I don't understand how else he was supposed to tackle him. He grabbed hold of something to secure his grip. Any other way, he would have had to dive at his legs and hope he tripped him up, or dived at his waist and hope he didn't slip off of his jersey.

Please, someone explain to me how Roy should have proceeded with the tackle, seeing that everyone here is a football expert :rolleyes:, since a lot of people are complaining that he should be suspended.

This is all you need to know...The tackle has been deemed illegal, conversation about whether that is or was a good idea is an ancillary one...The tackle is illegal and Roy continues to do it...And in particular, the tackle on McNabb was horsecollar...I'm still trying to understand what Roy is angry about?...Is he just made at himself?

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839028 said:
This is all you need to know...The tackle has been deemed illegal, conversation about whether that is or was a good idea is an ancillary one...The tackle is illegal and Roy continues to do it...And in particular, the tackle on McNabb was horsecollar...I'm still trying to understand what Roy is angry about?...Is he just made at himself?

Perhaps it was your conversation whether it was a good idea or not, because that wasn't my question.

He's probably angry about how stupid the rule is, and how he was singled out for doing it, even though he's probably been doing since playing peewee league football, because he unintentionally injured a star player on a team that was contending for a SB who now plays on our team.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1839018 said:

Tackle without horsecollaring, simple...When a rule is made especially for you and because of you, you have to be dumb as a box of rocks not to figure out NOT to tackle that way.

The whole league is filled with football players who tackle without riding them down by their horsecollar...Everyone except Roy Williams.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839087 said:
Tackle without horsecollaring, simple...When a rule is made especially for you and because of you, you have to be dumb as a box of rocks not to figure out NOT to tackle that way.

The whole league is filled with football players who tackle without riding them down by their horsecollar...Everyone except Roy Williams.

Oh, thanks. What an awesome explanation. Just "tackle him without horsecollaring". Is that your answer to a question whose answer requires details on how that should have been actually done in this particular case?

And if the whole league is filled with players who don't horsecollar, why make a rule for it then? Doesn't that prove the point that Roy's being singled out?

It's so silly to believe that no other players horse tackle. Roy's only known for it because he had the rule implemented for him due to reasons already stated, and because everytime he does it (since he's probably been doing it forever), it's magnified like he's the only one who does it.

For example, it appears your one of those people who fall for this ridiculous notion.

Nexx

Reaction score
he had to horse collar, because his fat arse is slower than mcscrubb coming off of serious knee surgery.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The bottom line is it's illegal. That's all that matters. RW is a crappy tackler now. He hurts the team by continuing to do something that he knows will draw a flag. Sit his ***.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1839109 said:
Oh, thanks. What an awesome explanation. Just "tackle him without horescollaring". Is that your answer to a question whose answer requires details on how that should have been actually done in this particular case?

And if the whole league is filled with players who don't horsecollar, why make a rule for it then? Doesn't that prove the point that Roy's being singled out?

It's so silly to believe that no other players horse tackle. Roy's only known for it because he had the rule implemented for him due to reasons already stated, and because everytime he does it (since he's probably been doing it forever), it's magnified like he's the only one who does it.

For example, it appears your one of those people who fall for this ridiculous notion.

And as I said before, this isn't about whether or not the rule should be in place...It is in place, it has been in place and it's clear for the league and it's players...And most of all, you'd think the player by which the rule was instituted would figure out that he ISN'T going to be able to get away with it...And what does he do?...Uhh, horsecollar and then he's incredulous??...He's an idiot.

And what kind of logic is that, 'what else could he do?'....Uhh, how about wrap him up and tackle him like 99% of the rest of the players out there...You see anyone horsecollar a Cowboy today?...No.

Perhaps you've been training your eye on Roy Williams for too long but there are other way to tackle and they actually are legal.

You wanna debate the veracity of the rule, that's another debate...It isn't up for debate what horsecollaring is...It is what it is and what it is is what Roy does...over and over.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839128 said:
And as I said before, this isn't about whether or not the rule should be in place...It is in place, it has been in place and it's clear for the league and it's players...And most of all, you'd think the player by which the rule was instituted would figure out that he ISN'T going to be able to get away with it...And what does he do?...Uhh, horsecollar and then he's incredulous??...He's an idiot.

And what kind of logic is that, 'what else could he do?'....Uhh, how about wrap him up and tackle him like 99% of the rest of the players out there...You see anyone horsecollar a Cowboy today?...No.

Perhaps you've been training your eye on Roy Williams for too long but there are other way to tackle and they actually are legal.

You wanna debate the veracity of the rule, that's another debate...It isn't up for debate what horsecollaring is...It is what it is and what it is is what Roy does...over and over.

Wow, man. You've got the worst reading comprehension skills probably in existence.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1839161 said:
Wow, man. You've got the worst reading comprehension skills probably in existence.

Gee, yeah, I can't figure out why they just won't let Roy tackle that way...I mean, what else is he supposed to do? :rolleyes:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839171 said:
Gee, yeah, I can't figure out why they just won't let Roy tackle that way...I mean, what else is he supposed to do? :rolleyes:

Ye who lacks a common set of reading skills, my question was never about legality. Because it's already been made illegal.

The question isn't whether Roy can tackle without horsecollaring, which he can. The question isn't whether other players horse collar, because they do. Otherwise they wouldn't have made a rule about it.

The question was how was he supposed to tackle McNabb from behind without reaching out and grabbing his shoulder pad without him having run another 15 yards down the field, or risking a missed tackle by diving at his legs or his upper body? If you don't have an answer besides "he should have just tackled him without horsecollaring", just shut up. Because that wasn't the question.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Anyone who honestly uses the argument that "RW shouldn't get burnt by a 1-legged QB" never played football before.

1These are all professionals athletes, whether or not McNabb blew out a knee doesn't matter. RW has done this to many players including TO who are obviously faster than himself.

There are gonna be several situations where a defender must make a tackle from BEHIND.

You have 2 options...

OPTION A, most efficient (ILLEGAL):
reach high and pull the player down from behind

OPTION B, not very efficient (LEGAL):
dive by fully extending body like superman and swipe at the legs, kind of like the "pull and pray" (if you need to ask, don't) - point being you need a lotta luck to hopefully clip an ankle.

This rule is bogus and its just another sign of the NFL favoring offense. Forget the preventing injury argument, there are plenty of other legal plays that cause many more and much more serious injuries like the low blocks.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1839189 said:
Ye who lacks a common set of reading skills, my question was never about legality. Because it's already been made illegal.

The question isn't whether Roy can tackle without horsecollaring, which he can. The question isn't whether other players horse collar, because they do. Otherwise they wouldn't have made a rule about it.

The question was how was he supposed to tackle McNabb from behind without reaching out and grabbing his shoulder pad without him having run another 15 yards down the field? If you don't have an answer besides "he should have just tackled him", just shut up.

This is a rational question?...Much less a rational retort with shut up?...Child

He's too slow to grab his feet but he can grab the top of his shoulder pad and yank him down backwards with the horsecollar technique he KNOWS he can't do?...But, you continue to ask, how should he have tackled him...Yeah, great question...You win the useless question award today...Congrats.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839197 said:
This is a rational question?...Much less a rational retort with shut up?...Child

He's too slow to grab his feet but he can grab the top of his shoulder pad and yank him down backwards with the horsecollar technique he KNOWS he can't do?...But, you continue to ask, how should he have tackled him...Yeah, great question...You win the useless question award today...Congrats.

Oh, now you're questioning the "rationality" of the question. Unbelievable. You must live in bizarro world.

First it was, "tackle him without horsecollaring". Is that like "fix the car without breaking it"? Yeah, I see why you're not a coach, and could never be one.

FCBarca

Reaction score
SultanOfSix;1839209 said:
Oh, now you're questioning the "rationality" of the question. Unbelievable. You must live in bizarro world.

First it was, "tackle him without horsecollaring". Is that like "fix the car without breaking it". Yeah, I see why you're not a coach, and could never be one.

I'm sure that was what coach Phillips was saying to the ref...'How else could Roy have tackled Donovan?'...Gee, horsecollaring is only illegal when you don't have any other options, right?...That's what all the coaches are sayin, never tackle low always go high

I mean, if slowpoke RW can't tackle but can grab him in a horsecollar manner why not get him at the feet?...Where's the rational explanation for that?...Or wait, why can't he horsecollar again? :rolleyes:

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
FCBarca;1839218 said:
I'm sure that was what coach Phillips was saying to the ref...'How else could Roy have tackled Donovan?'...Gee, horsecollaring is only illegal when you don't have any other options, right?...That's what all the coaches are sayin, never tackle low always go high

I mean, if slowpoke RW can't tackle but can grab him in a horsecollar manner why not get him at the feet?...Where's the rational explanation for that?...Or wait, why can't he horsecollar again? :rolleyes:

Dumb as a box of rocks. Maybe you should read smart150's posts. But, I'm not sure that you'll comprehend it.