Roy Williams Rule, Expanded.

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
hc6eb.gif

Looks "debatable" to me.

It's hard to see where his right hand grabbed, but it looks like a shoulder pad to me.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
So for skins fans and any other team out there not named Cowboys, pray to God that we don't get the best FS in the draft. Just pray...

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
I agree with you, that is exactly the problem with the NBA. Unfortunately, I don't see it getting better. They continue to cater to the "superstar" players allow them get away with murder on the court, and those same players expect the same treatment when playing Argentina. IMO, they deserved to get embarassed.

It's the same way in the college game. I can't stand Duke, but I knew they were in trouble against LSU when Jim Bure was refereeing the game because that guy wouldn't call a handcheck if his life depended on it.

All of the NBA apologists like to claim they play such great defense, but the Olympics showed that once they took away the handchecking, opposing teams scorched them from the perimeter and often times they had difficulty defending simple pick and rolls.

Rich........

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
It's hard to see where his right hand grabbed, but it looks like a shoulder pad to me.
I've watched it about 15 times now and I'm 99.9997% sure it's a shoulder pad grab. It could however be that as they're falling his hand slips from the pad and grabs the jersey, but it is clear that at some point he has hold of a pad.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:

No, that's just "jersey".

:rolleyes:

fweegy

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
I guess so. But since Taylor doesn't horsecollar ballcarriers, it won't affect him as much as Roy. :D

Except when he has to do it to get a pack of smokes to buy off the "men" in prison

Gamebreaker

Benched
Reaction score
Rack said:
No, it isn't. He didn't grab the pads. Period.

And he didn't even grab him from behind. He grabbed him from the side. It was Musa's own stiff arm that caused the injury.

You can't be serious. If he would've had the jersey it would've stretched and the shoulder pad would've been exposed. Instead, he grabbed inside the jersey and had the pad. Smith wouldn't have come down so fast if he just had the jersey. Does anyone know the extent of Smith's injury from the takedown?

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
He probably grabbed pads in the Musa vid. Happens every game in some form. That said, everything else that occured can be blamed on physics.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
Does anyone know the extent of Smith's injury from the takedown?

Broken leg. He'll be back, but it was definitely a bad break (compound).

That said, the injury occured because he fell on his leg which wasn't RW's fault as much as gravity was.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
So it's clear that the Musa and TO grabs were pad grabs. Anyone have pics/vids of the Calico grab?

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Gamebreaker said:
You can't be serious. If he would've had the jersey it would've stretched and the shoulder pad would've been exposed. Instead, he grabbed inside the jersey and had the pad. Smith wouldn't have come down so fast if he just had the jersey. Does anyone know the extent of Smith's injury from the takedown?
He may have had the pad but the stiff arm is what caused Roy to fall back therefore pulling him down. The stiff arm caused the injury more than the grabbing of the pad.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
They need to do something about the holding calls on ST, it's way overboard. I can remember on every special teams punt return or kick off return, they would call holding 1 out of 3 times. That's too much.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Avery said:
Knee = shredded beef.

That said, the injury occured because he fell on his leg which wasn't RW's fault as much as gravity was.
I'm not sure about the knee but the major injury was a compound fracture of the lower leg.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
They need to do something about the holding calls on ST, it's way overboard. I can remember on every special teams punt return or kick off return, they would call holding 1 out of 3 times. That's too much.
Absolutely.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Dude, if you are "gonna" debate stating he didn't grab the pads, then be prepared to defend your statement.

It was not a simple drag down by the jersey, sorry.

Yes it was. Please, there's no need to be an ***. The "Air" statement was uncalled for.

http://img519.*************/img519/5986/image11623988zi.jpg

Unless you're gonna try and tell me Roy's fingers, from the middle to the tip, are twice as long, then from the middle to the base, then I'd say he's got jersey there. If anything, MAYBE his middle finger has a slight piece of shoulder pad.

One thing you have to remember is nowadays players wear extremely tight jerseys. The have just a bit more give then the shoulder pads themselves.

Hey I know, if the NFL wants to cut down on horse collar injuries, then don't allow players to wear their jerseys so tight.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt said:
So it's clear that the Musa and TO grabs were pad grabs. Anyone have pics/vids of the Calico grab?

Preseason games aren't exactly documented, so I would expect not.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
theogt said:
I still can't find a pick of the Calico tackle but every report I've read says he grabbed the pads.

Stop reading "reports" and watch the plays.

I still can't find a pick of the Calico tackle but every report I've read says he grabbed the pads.

Does Calico wear his shoulder pads halfway down his back, on the outside of his jersey?

010854Calico_collar.jpg

Here's the Musa Smith tackle, with Roy's left hand around the front of Smith and his right one appearing to be outside the collar of the shoulder pads --

186877002.JPG

And here's the Owens tackle, with Roy pulling way down on the back of Owens' collar, either inside the shoulder pads or just the jersey --

585904DSC00014.JPG

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theogt said:

:rolleyes:

Clear huh? Sure it is.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Actually Rack you can't tell from that pick whether its jersey or pad. Also, if you look at that picture and when it was taken in the sequence its very possible that his hand had slipped from the pad at that point.