Roy Williams (WR) is a Cowboy! *** Merged ***

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Jerry blinked. I really didn't think he'd give up the 1st round pick.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
TO should be happy. If RW gets hot then some teams will be more honest covering TO.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I guess I'm not a Cowboys fan because I hate this move. I like the player, but that's way too much to give up for him. Way too much! WRs don't win you Superbowls. Jerry just panicked and went for the bright shiny object AGAIN. He didn't learn anything from Parcells about building your O and D lines. We're painfully thin and ILB and now OLB, too.

utrunner07

Reaction score
TheCount;2339025 said:
Glad to have him but a 1st, 3rd, 5th for a guy that was going to be a FA? That's a lot!

shhhh. don't say anything bad you might bring people back to reality and they will start to cry....

this is vintage Jerry, vintage Cowboyszone.

DaGreek08

Reaction score
Wow. LOL! Jerry really knows how to get deals done. Good thing we're getting that pick back from Tennessee. Let's see how Brad does with 2 stud receivers and the best TE in the league.

links18

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2339028 said:
Are you serious we had 10 picks then one more for pac getting suspended so 11 then the trade and they gave us a pick so 9 !!!!!!!!!!!! Jerry Jones is the man!!!!!!!!!

Yes, I am serious. You don't make that trade if you think the season is lost when you could get him for free in the offseason. I like the move actually, I just hope Jerry's faith in the team is correct and we can make it through the next 4 weeks in tact. If nothing else, this deal takes the media focus off of the Pacman debacle.......

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile;2339053 said:

That all you have to say?

Let it flow man, this is great news!!!!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hostile;2339053 said:

I'm definitely surprised by that, and the fact there was even more tacked onto the 1st. Seems like the Lions got exactly what they wanted out of the deal, hopefully we get what we paid for.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2339065 said:
I guess I'm not a Cowboys fan because I hate this move. I like the player, but that's way too much to give up for him. Way too much! WRs don't win you Superbowls. Jerry just panicked and went for the bright shiny object AGAIN. He didn't learn anything from Parcells about building your O and D lines. We're painfully thin and ILB and now OLB, too.

I agree with you. But I think since we have so many picks next year we should be ok.

I do believe we need a ton of defensive line help though.

and I always believe wr do not bring you championships either. But I think with the other players we have, he is a really good fit.

It is tough to give up that 1 though.

joseephuss

Reaction score
This is Our Year;2339041 said:
Thank God we can put the Terry Glenn stuff behind us. We now have a #2 WR again!!!!!

They could always bring Glenn back to play the slot. :lmao2:

Are there any contract details? I heard that Dallas was already working on a long term deal.

I don't think this was a panic move by Jerry. The thoughts of getting Roy Williams has been there for a while. Losing Romo may have drove up the price a little, but there were already plans to get Williams in Dallas. Logical move and a good move.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I'm not comfortable with the price, but I guess Jerry has gotten better since 2000 when he gave up two No. 1s for Galloway.

The good:

Wide receivers take time to develop and Dallas needs a guy who is about the same age as Romo and Witten, and the core players on this team.

He is a native Texan who wanted to return, which will make his long-term signing pretty much imminent.

He has plenty of talent.

He will be a long-term replacement for Owens as the team's No. 1 receiver.

The bad:

Giving up two premium picks is a steep price.

To give up that much, I would prefer a player with more intangible qualities.

He's been dinged up in his career.

One would expect his numbers to be more impressive in the Martz offense prior to this season.

Overall, it could have been much worse -- Jerry still scares me when he drafts and trades.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
We're thin at OLB due to injuries. Not Jerry's fault.

and if Burnett and Carpenter had panned out (Parcells picks) then we would not have these issues of depth at ILB.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Hostile;2339053 said:

Probably the only way to get it done. I'm very glad to take some heat off TO. Hopefully we can deal into a higher 2nd or low 1. I hope we're the last pick but surely we'll be near the bottom of the first.

JJ never could disguise his glee over a wanted toy.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Great news.

Now we have Good Roy Williams to combine with Evil Roy Williams. Of course, the issue of who is good and who is evil in this context is largely a matter of perspective and academic pedigree.

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
Chief;2339087 said:
Overall, it could have been much worse -- Jerry still scares me when he drafts and trades.

I have to agree with that statement, but recently, Jerry has been a guru with the draft and trades.

FCBarca

Reaction score

Not sure I'm there completely with you but I thought it was a bit steep too, especially considering it should've been a buyers market...Who knows.

As for bang for the buck, wouldn't TJ have come a lot cheaper for what he could've provided?...He's 31 but does a great job of getting open still...That's the question I'll be pondering.

Overall, I'm happy there are more 'weapons' but concerned that the focus should be on the disappointing play from the D

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Chief;2339087 said:
One would expect his numbers to be more impressive in the Martz offense prior to this season.

He did have Kitna at QB.