Rumor: Inside info on Cowboys draft/FA plans

reddyuta

Reaction score
I dont like this plan,our first order of business is to find a replacement for spencer.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Nice post or repost I guess but seriously doubt his information. Matt Forte and DeSean Jackson? When the D needs help from FA you go after those two, not going to happen.

Murray is the future at RB so getting Forte would make zero sense. Taking a LaMichael James say in the 3rd makes sense if you trade Jones because James can also PR and KR. Tanner will be a great backup to Murray as we have already seen.

DeSean Jackson wants a big time contract better than Austin's so forget him, just not going to happen there. What makes more sense in free agency is Brent Grimes at CB, a great man to man cover and Calais Campbell at DE who is a stronger JJ Watt and look what Watt has done in Houston.

As to the draft, OG and CB would make sense in the first two rounds to some degree. DeCastro at OG in the 1st and say Gilmore at CB in the 2nd. Floyd at WR doesn't make sense unless we aren't interested in resigning Robinson. Upshaw makes alot sense in the 1st at OLB.

But honestly sounds like someone is guessing and picking some guys they like in FA. Jerry and Jason aren't stupid, they know the D has to be fixed in both Free Agency and the draft.

Reaction score
silverbear;4340550 said:
What you need to realize is that stupid thoughts don't get smarter just because you put them in big fonts... and if the thought being expressed isn't stupid, there's really no need to "shout"...

How is stupid to say we don't need to draft a running back?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Guard should be an absolute priority, and I can see DB if an elite prospect is there when we pick. Going after a WR in Free Agency, assuming we resign Robinson, would bring my gently rolling rage to an absolute boil.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
TheCount;4340647 said:
Guard should be an absolute priority, and I can see DB if an elite prospect is there when we pick. Going after a WR in Free Agency, assuming we resign Robinson, would bring my gently rolling rage to an absolute boil.
Getting an absolute punk on this team like DeSean Jackson should revolt you too. He is talented, but hardly worth the bother.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4340642 said:
How is stupid to say we don't need to draft a running back?

We don't need another RB. I would think if Dallas brings in a RB it will be a late pick or an UDFA to compete aginst Tanner but with Murray and Felix why would I go after a RB in FA or the upper portions of the draft?

kmd24

Reaction score
The *only* reason I can see to be in the mix for DJax is to drive up the price. It would be nice to get him away from the Eagles, but I think he's already angry enough that he'll be willing to sign elsewhere.

visionary

Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;4340460 said:
Sounds like we still don't get it.. :(

you beat me to it

our GM just does not get it
on the other hand, we have been told that "all personnel decisions are from Garrett"

lets wait and see

if we dont upgrade the front 7 in FA and still go after DB in Rd 1, that will be crazy

and "go after Matt Forte"?
i cant believe that, even from jerry

Marktui

Reaction score
Forte? He is going to want big money same with Jackson. Forte, Jones, Murray at RB. Bryant, Austin, Jackson at WR. Sounds like Madden football to me. Better off drafting a power back and improving the O Line rather than spending FA money on Forte and Jackson.

This defense is going to be overhauled this next offseason. It has to be priority.

Marktui

Reaction score
visionary;4340730 said:
you beat me to it

our GM just does not get it
on the other hand, we have been told that "all personnel decisions are from Garrett"

lets wait and see

if we dont upgrade the front 7 in FA and still go after DB in Rd 1, that will be crazy

and "go after Matt Forte"?
i cant believe that, even from jerry

I wouldn't put too much stock in this rumor.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Marktui;4340734 said:
Forte? He is going to want big money same with Jackson. Forte, Jones, Murray at RB. Bryant, Austin, Jackson at WR. Sounds like Madden football to me. Better off drafting a power back and improving the O Line rather than spending FA money on Forte and Jackson.

This defense is going to be overhauled this next offseason. It has to be priority.

I would gladly keep Dez, Miles and Robinson

As you said Forte may leave Chicago because he is looking for a big payday.
Dallas may bring another RB into training camp to compete with Tanner but outside of that I don't see the Cowboys having intrest in a RB. I could see us having intrest in a FB but not a TB

ilovejerry

Reaction score
dboy214;4340455 said:
took this from another (paid) website...the poster has history of posting accurate inside info about dfw/texas sports so i'll repost here.

If this is true, I can't wait till Jerry retires or ***S ! Cause this is the stupidest thing so far. Desean Jackson makes 0 sense when you need a bloody Defense upheaval.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
poost;4340497 said:
I think anything said about free agency and the draft at this point should be taken with a mountain of salt.

agree....way to early for this....even from an insider.....right now I beleive this is the furthest thing from JJ's mind....

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
We need competition at several spots: CB, OLB, ILB, S, DE, NT. Let's see did I miss someone?

I like Melvin Ingram at SOLB to compete with Spencer. He's big, strong, fast, great burst, and is a playmaker. I think he's more a high 6s guy rather than 7s. I think he can cover. He was a LB at first and still played a hybrid DE/LB his last two years. Had two or three INTs this year, 2 Def TDs, and ran a fake punt 70 yds for a TD against GA.

I'd go CB, ILB, SOLB and OL in the first two rounds depending on who was there. I'd look for the same in FA and sign two if we can get them at reasonable prices that fits with the rest of the club.

I'd leave Jackson and Forte alone.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
fffiasco;4340508 said:
By moving Smith to LT and Free to RT, adding Nicks and drafting Decastro. Our line can become elite in one offseason if Decastro can perform right away.

I would love to get DeCastro! I like Free, but I'm not so sure he is anywhere near elite level or ever will. He's showing alot of warts at LT this season. Maybe RT will look better on him, but I still don't think he is anywhere near elite.

Reaction score
They have so many holes that drafting BPA and "need" have merged into one strategy. So much more should have done in last years free agent bonanza, now Jones is staring at a grocery list that probably cannot be completely filled before next season. Now it's quite possible that Garrett and Jones are looking to build this thing up from scratch on a 3+ year plan, in which case they are right on schedule, but the quickly shrinking window analogy applies with Romo and Ware (and to us long suffering fans).

Dfense94

Benched
Reaction score
:laugh2:Can't help but laugh at anyone claiming to have "inside information" on a message board. Especially in depth info on a teams off season plans when odds are no team has really gotten that involved in their offseason plans at this point to the point whre they are targeting specific information.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dfense94;4340846 said:
:laugh2:Can't help but laugh at anyone claiming to have "inside information" on a message board.

Don't be so quick to judge what some of our members come up with. You would be surprised at the access and knowledge some have. Not saying this is the case with this thread.