Rumor: Leary to Saints?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I'd rather keep him.

Blows my mind he was willing to sit out now season, when he was playing for pennies. This year he was going to make over 2 million to play.

You get a 5th rounder for him and you absolutely take it. he is most likely going to ride the pine for a year or you get a 5th rounder? Easy choice.

Unless you are one of those cats that thinks were going to win the SB this year.

montgod

Reaction score
They should also make sure they are doing their due diligence with the Titans' interest as well and play that against NO if possible.

Carson

Reaction score
You get a 5th rounder for him and you absolutely take it. he is most likely going to ride the pine for a year or you get a 5th rounder? Easy choice.

Unless you are one of those cats that thinks were going to win the SB this year.

If it nets us a Danny Coale, Joseph Randle or Devin Street no thanks.

I'm all for getting a player in return back for this. Just saying we tend to not draft well late.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
If it nets us a Danny Coale, Joseph Randle or Devin Street no thanks.

I'm all for getting a player in return back for this. Just saying we tend to not draft well late.

You are absolutely right. I cant argue with our draft history after the first round. No question that anything from the 5th round on is typically a wasted pick here in Dallas.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
What is wrong with Jairus Byrd? Is he worse than Church or Wilcox? If you have some inside scoop, please share.

Not healthy. Has not been healthy since they signed him a couple of years ago.

dbonham

Reaction score
Would of done it during the draft and kept flipping the pick until he got a first rounder next year out of it.

This is true, but there's no way we didn't offer him to seattle as part of the trade offer for Lynch

Chopzley

Reaction score
What is wrong with Jairus Byrd? Is he worse than Church or Wilcox? If you have some inside scoop, please share.

Health issues that most would say are questionable at best. The perception is that the guy got his mega contract and gave up. Earl Thomas and Byrd were basically seen as 1a and 1b as far as the league's best safeties a few years ago. Now he misses entire stretches of the season for various contusions and strains

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Health issues that most would say are questionable at best. The perception is that the guy got his mega contract and gave up. Earl Thomas and Byrd were basically seen as 1a and 1b as far as the league's best safeties a few years ago. Now he misses entire stretches of the season for various contusions and strains

Pretty much. I am pretty sure the Saints would be more than happy to unload him and his contract onto somebody.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we trade Leary, it needs to be for a comparable player at a position of greater or relatively similar need on a similar value contract. If you do it for future draft consideration, somebody needs to overpay because Leary is going to get starter's money next year, and that will net a decent late round pick in itself. Any drat consideration ought to be higher than the likely pick you'd net, plus whatever the value of forgoing a season with our 3rd best and still above-average starting OG on the roster would be.

Why anybody would do this at this point of the season, I don't know. Maybe if a contending team loses a starter in camp at some point, I could see it. Right now, nobody's going to give up enough to make it worth our while.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I think the logic is more so about not creating more holes this year than we must.

Yeah, he's leaving next year. But he's still the best option at guard is something happens to Collins or Martin.

Toss in the fact, were pretty mediocre at drafting in the 4th/5th round.

If we could land a solid role player I'd be more so behind it. I just worry we make the deal, something happens to our line and we bust on our pick.

Everyone is mediocre in the 4th and 5th round.

Give me the lottery pick over a guy unlikely to have no impact this year.

Everyone gives the front office grief for being shortsighted and near term thinking and yet turns around and is thumping for the keep Leary short term thinking.

It's quite baffling.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If we trade Leary, it needs to be for a comparable player at a position of greater or relatively similar need on a similar value contract. If you do it for future draft consideration, somebody needs to overpay because Leary is going to get starter's money next year, and that will net a decent late round pick in itself. Any drat consideration ought to be higher than the likely pick you'd net, plus whatever the value of forgoing a season with our 3rd best and still above-average starting OG on the roster would be.

Why anybody would do this at this point of the season, I don't know. Maybe if a contending team loses a starter in camp at some point, I could see it. Right now, nobody's going to give up enough to make it worth our while.
Disagree on the type of contract Leary would sign of he stays here and for a 2nd straight year gets no reps.

He's more likely to sign a prove it year deal contract than anything. Which would net us nothing

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Crazy how much value is placed on draft picks. Late round guys are hard pressed to ever start. Trading a starter quality guy for a 4th seems to be insane as far as value goes.

Plankton

Reaction score

Aside from the fact that he's only played 82 of a possible 112 games in his career due to injury, nothing.

Plankton

Reaction score
From the Saints roster, I'd consider the following in a trade:

DE Obum Gwacham
WR Brandon Coleman
DT Tyeler Davison
CB P.J. Williams

If Vaccaro didn't have a concussion history, I'd consider him as well, but the players above are ones that the Saints could give up without a huge hit, but all have upside at positions to help the Cowboys.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Crazy how much value is placed on draft picks. Late round guys are hard pressed to ever start. Trading a starter quality guy for a 4th seems to be insane as far as value goes.

In a vacuum you would be correct but when you factor in the fact that he will leave after this season with nothing in return plus the cap savings and what the team could do with that $2.5 million, there is a case to be made for trading him. I personally would keep him until I know Looney is a capable replacement and there were no injuries in camp. I'd be looking to trade him much later on to a team that is desperate due to injury.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree on the type of contract Leary would sign of he stays here and for a 2nd straight year gets no reps.

He's more likely to sign a prove it year deal contract than anything. Which would net us nothing

We'll see. I think he's more the type of quality vet a team signs to a longer term contract with high salaries or roster bonuses to compensate him for the relatively high quality of play but to protect the team from the downside of his knee condition. Not playing for two years really only means two fewer years of mileage on that knee. It's not like he was hurt and hasn't been able to get back on the filed. He had a short-term back issue and got beat out by a very talented younger player on a better contract.

If I'm a team in need of an OG, I think Learly's a very good candidate for an impact starter for me if I can structure it right. Sure, he'll come at a discount, but it's still starting OG money we're talking about. There are a lot of teams in the league where this guy is a walk-on starter.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
3rd round would be great, but not realistic.

Can we trade player for player? Is there a DE on there roster that would work.