Rumor: Leary to Saints?

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
You get a 5th rounder for him and you absolutely take it. he is most likely going to ride the pine for a year or you get a 5th rounder? Easy choice.

Unless you are one of those cats that thinks were going to win the SB this year.

I wouldn't take less than a fourth, but I'm greedy. I think he has more value as an insurance policy than a fifth-rounder. Depending on what he signs for after the season, we might can even get a fourth as compensation.

RandyOh

Reaction score
From the Saints roster, I'd consider the following in a trade:

DE Obum Gwacham
WR Brandon Coleman
DT Tyeler Davison
CB P.J. Williams

If Vaccaro didn't have a concussion history, I'd consider him as well, but the players above are ones that the Saints could give up without a huge hit, but all have upside at positions to help the Cowboys.

I would love to get PJ Williams. Kid is tailor made for a Tampa 2 defense. Doubt they trade him tho.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
We'll see. I think he's more the type of quality vet a team signs to a longer term contract with high salaries or roster bonuses to compensate him for the relatively high quality of play but to protect the team from the downside of his knee condition. Not playing for two years really only means two fewer years of mileage on that knee. It's not like he was hurt and hasn't been able to get back on the filed. He had a short-term back issue and got beat out by a very talented younger player on a better contract.

If I'm a team in need of an OG, I think Learly's a very good candidate for an impact starter for me if I can structure it right. Sure, he'll come at a discount, but it's still starting OG money we're talking about. There are a lot of teams in the league where this guy is a walk-on starter.

We only got a 4th for starting OT deal Parnell signed. What's the likelihood that Leary nets more than that? Near zero? Meanwhile we pay him 2.53M? To be inactive?

We have two all pro talents at OG. If one goes down OG is one of the easiest positions to fill on a line. I'm fine with rolling the dice there. We have 4 1st rounders on the line. If we can't survive a single OG going down...which is what i'm hearing people say who talk about "needing" him for insurance then this line is overrated.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
I wouldn't take less than a fourth, but I'm greedy. I think he has more value as an insurance policy than a fifth-rounder. Depending on what he signs for after the season, we might can even get a fourth as compensation.

Don't hold your breath. We got just a 4th for the deal Parnell signed.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
We only got a 4th for starting OT deal Parnell signed. What's the likelihood that Leary nets more than that? Near zero? Meanwhile we pay him 2.53M? To be inactive?

We have two all pro talents at OG. If one goes down OG is one of the easiest positions to fill on a line. I'm fine with rolling the dice there. We have 4 1st rounders on the line. If we can't survive a single OG going down...which is what i'm hearing people say who talk about "needing" him for insurance then this line is overrated.

Right now, the weak link on the line is Free. If a Guard were to get hurt, with Leary here there really isn't that much of a change to the overall strength. Without him, Free becomes 4th best and whoever we put in is 5th best. Not that hard to see.

Leary's salary isn't significant enough to secure us any kind of difference maker should we get rid of him unless potentially we use that money to help the pass rush (Freeney?) or possible QB (Foles, McCown or Glennon?). As far as a draft pick, the goal should be a 4th, I'd take a 5th but don't think a 6th is worth getting rid of the insurance policy he provides.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

and the fourth is awarded at the end of the 4th round, so it is really an early 5th round pick and it comes a year later in 2018.....most likely will be a 5/6th if he gets a 4/20m deal....

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score

Pretty fair compensation for him, up to that point he had only started what, a half dozen games for an injured Free in his career? A 5th probably would be likely for Leary given his amount of starts but it all depends on who we sign as well as who we lose in FA.

Chopzley

Reaction score
From the Saints roster, I'd consider the following in a trade:

DE Obum Gwacham
WR Brandon Coleman
DT Tyeler Davison
CB P.J. Williams

If Vaccaro didn't have a concussion history, I'd consider him as well, but the players above are ones that the Saints could give up without a huge hit, but all have upside at positions to help the Cowboys.

I could definitely see Coleman or Gwacham, but I say DT John Jenkins is the most likely to be dealt if it ends up being a player for player swap

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm expecting him to net us a 6th, probably. What do you think we get in trade?

We can definitely weather the loss of an OG without Leary on the roster, but he's legitimately a guy who steps into this great OL and you don't lose anything. That's worth more than a normal backup in my book. Especially at this point in the offseason where you still have all of camp and all of preseason to weather.

Plankton

Reaction score
I could definitely see Coleman or Gwacham, but I say DT John Jenkins is the most likely to be dealt if it ends up being a player for player swap

Jenkins isn't a scheme fit at all - he profiles best as a 3-4 nose.

erod

Reaction score
Why trade Leary for a late-round pick if Dallas gets a late-round pick for losing him in free agency anyway?

That would be stupid.

He's worth more here.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
He could play the 1Tech or "shade" spot in a 4-3, although that is not much of a need now with Cedric Thornton.
That's why it wouldn't make sense for the Cowboys. Marinelli got his guy there in free agency and they also have McClain or possibly Poe as cheap backups.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Why trade Leary for a late-round pick if Dallas gets a late-round pick for losing him in free agency anyway?

That would be stupid.

He's worth more here.

Odds are likely that you'll get absolutely nothing for Leary if he leaves in free agency. Odds are also likely that he'll never dress for a single game as a Cowboy.

Instead, you can get, say, a 5th round pick and $2.5M in salary cap space for a player who probably won't play a single down for this team ever again. Or you can trade him for a player who will actually be on the field. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Bird in the hand.

Pick now (2017 draft) or wait, hope he signs a qualifying deal, and then get a pick in the 2018 draft.

The only scenario where I see Leary netting a comp pick for this team is if Collins is so bad that he loses the starting job to Leary who goes on to play his way to a huge contract despite his knee. But that requires so many unlikely situations to occur that it's silly to even talk about.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

That would be stupid.

He's worth more here.

Because it's not guaranteed. If he doesn't sign for much, we aren't as likely to get a pick. If we sign more free agents than we lose, or the same amount, then we get nothing.

Common Sense

Reaction score
Because it's not guaranteed. If he doesn't sign for much, we aren't as likely to get a pick. If we sign more free agents than we lose, or the same amount, then we get nothing.

Leary would have to sign for Alex Boone money and we'd have to bring in no comparable free agents just to get a 4th rounder in 2018. It's an absurd hypothetical scenario to even entertain.