Gimme an "A"
Gimme an "L"
Gimme an "A"
Gimme an "R"
Gimme an "Y"

Gimme a "C"
Gimme a "A"
Gimme a "P"

and what does that spell and stop us from doing with Roy?
Just like the skins are in cap hell from all their spending. oh wait............

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
iceberg;1911931 said:
Gimme an "S"
Gimme an "A"
Gimme an "L"
Gimme an "A"
Gimme an "R"
Gimme an "Y"

Gimme a "C"
Gimme a "A"
Gimme a "P"

and what does that spell and stop us from doing with Roy?

:muttley:

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
iceberg;1911938 said:
um...ok. it's just that simple. got it.
You're a real genius here, what do you suggest we do this offseason to beef up our team and prepare them for the upcoming teams like the Giants/Packers/deadskin, not to mention the dominant AFC teams?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Clove;1911943 said:
Just like the skins are in cap hell from all their spending. oh wait............

waiting over.

Commanders in Salary Cap Hell in 2008

Posted Nov 19th 2007 11:24AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Commanders, Washington, DC
dansnyder.jpg
Every football fan knows that Commanders owner Dan Snyder likes to spend money on free agents, and that his free-spending ways can give his team a quick infusion of talent but also harm the team's long-term development.

But I don't know if most people realize how precarious the Commanders' salary cap situation is going to be in 2008. Peter King of SI.com explains:

There is only one team with less than $5 million in 2008 cap room left as we stand right now, and that team, to no one's surprise, is Washington. It would be understandable if the 'Skins were a few bucks north or south of the $116-million cap figure for 2008, but the Commanders are miles away from that. They are $19.5 million OVER the 2008 cap as we sit here this morning. That means they're $25 million worse-off than any team in the NFL entering the offseason.
Although it's maybe not quite as bad as that makes it sound -- there are some accounting tricks that the Commanders can use to give themselves a little cap relief -- it's still really bad. The Commanders won't be able to do as much in 2008 to bolster their roster as other teams will do, and that means it's highly unlikely that they'll get better, relative to the rest of the NFC East. And since they're already in last place in the NFC East, that's a very bad sign.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
iceberg;1911947 said:
waiting over.

Commanders in Salary Cap Hell in 2008

Posted Nov 19th 2007 11:24AM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: Commanders, Washington, DC
dansnyder.jpg
Every football fan knows that Commanders owner Dan Snyder likes to spend money on free agents, and that his free-spending ways can give his team a quick infusion of talent but also harm the team's long-term development.

But I don't know if most people realize how precarious the Commanders' salary cap situation is going to be in 2008. Peter King of SI.com explains:

There is only one team with less than $5 million in 2008 cap room left as we stand right now, and that team, to no one's surprise, is Washington. It would be understandable if the 'Skins were a few bucks north or south of the $116-million cap figure for 2008, but the Commanders are miles away from that. They are $19.5 million OVER the 2008 cap as we sit here this morning. That means they're $25 million worse-off than any team in the NFL entering the offseason.​
Although it's maybe not quite as bad as that makes it sound -- there are some accounting tricks that the Commanders can use to give themselves a little cap relief -- it's still really bad. The Commanders won't be able to do as much in 2008 to bolster their roster as other teams will do, and that means it's highly unlikely that they'll get better, relative to the rest of the NFC East. And since they're already in last place in the NFC East, that's a very bad sign.
Excuse me if I don't believe the hype. Every year they're supposed to be in cap hell, when are they going to pay for it? I see articles like this year after year.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Clove;1911937 said:
It's time to get cute. We can't keep bringing in lower tier players and expect to go up against the NE's of the world. Get some fire power in here, get a blockbuster deal done Jerry. And little Jerry can figure out how to make the $$$$ work.

If the Deadskins can keep finding money, so can we.
When you trade a player you have to account for the accelerated signing bonus on the rest of the contract just like when cutting the player. So there isn't any cute way to do that with a player with a large contract. You take the hit and then there goes your cap room.

The Panch

Reaction score
Muhast;1911871 said:
if welker was a 2nd round pick and moss a 4th. I wouldnt doubt they'd accept a mid 2nd rounder or so for him
The difference is Moss came off two pathetic years in Oakland and Welker hadn't proven anything in Miami. He was putting up Crayton numbers. Roy on the other hand, was a pro bowler the year before this season. Everyone knows what he can do. He's a complete receiver and much like Owens, is a buy guy who isnt easy to stop at the line. Im still interested in Fitzgerald tho.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Clove;1911946 said:
You're a real genius here, what do you suggest we do this offseason to beef up our team and prepare them for the upcoming teams like the Giants/Packers/deadskin, not to mention the dominant AFC teams?

1. sign/draft a back to compliment barber and lose jones.
2. continue to improve the OL via draft, or getting last years draft picks out there more. in any event, the OL needs love.
3. look into the roy williams trade but not go gung ho - examine injury history and evaluate my risks.
4. get a CB in FA we can depend on.
5. resign hamlin
6. draft another CB
7. continue to let wade evaluate players and work on the D and ignore the instant gratification fans who want everything now cause it ain't gonna happen.
8. talk to arizona about fitz vs. williams.

in any event i never said i had all the answers, only expressing dire frustration at that ******* madden for making what we can't do in life so easy on TV and then God for making people simple enough to think because they're both on TV they both play by the same rules.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
speedkilz88;1911953 said:
When you trade a player you have to account for the accelerated signing bonus on the rest of the contract just like when cutting the player. So there isn't any cute way to do that with a player with a large contract. You take the hit and then there goes your cap room.

then we can't sign who we need cause we had to stop fan-whine which only gives them something else to whine about.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
BTW, I don't care if we trade Fraud Williams or not, that's just a name. You can give them Carp for all I care, I'd just like to get some more fire power for Romo to work with.

So excuse me if I'm interested in making our team dominate. Please forgive me.

David276

Benched
Reaction score
to the guy arguing about the salary cap. we lose tg and flozell almost for sure it wouldnt be that big of a deal . and you can almost directly trace jerrys "good decisions" to parcells being here then leaving.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Clove;1911952 said:
Excuse me if I don't believe the hype. Every year they're supposed to be in cap hell, when are they going to pay for it? I see articles like this year after year.

and the cap going up like it does helps to offset that. but once players stop reworking their BIG PAYDAYS! snyder is in cap-hell.

so don't believe it. that's never stopped reality before.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
iceberg;1911956 said:
1. sign/draft a back to compliment barber and lose jones.
2. continue to improve the OL via draft, or getting last years draft picks out there more. in any event, the OL needs love.
3. look into the roy williams trade but not go gung ho - examine injury history and evaluate my risks.
4. get a CB in FA we can depend on.
5. resign hamlin
6. draft another CB
7. continue to let wade evaluate players and work on the D and ignore the instant gratification fans who want everything now cause it ain't gonna happen.
8. talk to arizona about fitz vs. williams.

in any event i never said i had all the answers, only expressing dire frustration at that ******* madden for making what we can't do in life so easy on TV and then God for making people simple enough to think because they're both on TV they both play by the same rules.
The only thing on that list that will take us to the next level is #8.

The other things are cosmetic if you ask me. We will stay the same if we did all those things and didn't bring in a power player.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Clove;1911960 said:
BTW, I don't care if we trade Fraud Williams or not, that's just a name. You can give them Carp for all I care, I'd just like to get some more fire power for Romo to work with.

So excuse me if I'm interested in making our team dominate. Please forgive me.

so would i. SO WOULD I.

but i'm not going to handicap us in the process by cutting someone who's going to eat up his own space plus in revenue i'm allowed to spend.

i'm interested in making our team dominate but we don't deeper handicap ourselves only to lose a handicap that didn't hurt as much as losing him.

don't think that because i believe cutting roy isn't $ possible right now i don't want a more dominate team - i'm just looking at the WHOLE picture vs. knee-jerk moves jones would get roasted by the very fans who suggest them.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
iceberg;1911963 said:
and the cap going up like it does helps to offset that. but once players stop reworking their BIG PAYDAYS! snyder is in cap-hell.

so don't believe it. that's never stopped reality before.
The reality is, whether you want to believe it or not, is that the skins continue to spend and no one, no cap, no anything has ever stopped them.

Anyways, i'll leave the debates up to the internet argue junkies. I gave me opinion, have at it sport.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Clove;1911964 said:
The only thing on that list that will take us to the next level is #8.

The other things are cosmetic if you ask me. We will stay the same if we did all those things and didn't bring in a power player.

you're right. cutting roy williams gave us that power player. we don't need a rb, cb or to resign hamlin...

gee. i feel silly now. please resume your madden game.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Clove;1911967 said:
The reality is, whether you want to believe it or not, is that the skins continue to spend and no one, no cap, no anything has ever stopped them.

Anyways, i'll leave the debates up to the internet argue junkies. I gave me opinion, have at it sport.

later popeye.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
David276;1911961 said:
to the guy arguing about the salary cap. we lose tg and flozell almost for sure it wouldnt be that big of a deal . and you can almost directly trace jerrys "good decisions" to parcells being here then leaving.

i believe terry glenn just signed an extension recently.

Dallas Cowboys receiver Terry Glenn signed a five-year, $20 million contract extension Monday.
s3515.jpg
[SIZE=-2]Glenn[/SIZE]
Glenn's new contract, which runs through 2010 and replaces a previous contract that had one year remaining, comes just more than a week after Terrell Owens signed a three-year, $25 million deal with the Cowboys.

so if we lose glenn what do we lose capwise? just curious as to what "not a big deal" is. i was wondering about cutting glenn or if he can't come back but we need to hope he can at the $ we take.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Clove;1911967 said:

The Commanders are affected by their spending, but they never technically get to "cap hell".

Every offseason they have a new class of FA saviors. 3-4 years later they are having to release these guys and then go about signing new ones. Some of the guys they release to get below the cap are just duds, guys like Brandon Lloyd, for instance who just never worked out. But others are guys like Antonio Pierce from a couple years ago that I'm sure they wished they could've kept.

They will probably always be able to sign some FA's each year, but only because it's a revolving door. As one wave comes in another is going out. Of course, they also do all the cap tricks and backloaded contracts so they can push them out the door in a few years before the big hit occurs.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Clove;1911946 said:

Those teams were a combined 2-4 against us ......

And both loses came after we hit the injury bug.