Rumor: Zeke Turns Down Contract

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
s just don’t
The market was reset with the Bell contract. RBs don’t have the value anymore.

Bell sat out for a season and he has an injury history. Zeke is more durable and led the league in rushing twice. Gurley also has an injury history...

Zeke is worth more.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
FWIW, I prefer the term "traditional" journalist compared to "real" journalist.
Nothing stays the same. Everything changes, including words.
I can remember the days when sports journalists/reporters/commentators COULD NOT announce which teams they rooted for. Now, EVERYBODY is so eager and willing to declare their favorite team (Skip Bayless "My Dallas Cowboys" :rolleyes:), and this is ENCOURAGED by the higher ups.
I don't like it. But I (as I suspect DallasEast is) am more traditional in my approach to journalism (having been a reporter for more than 25 years). It's one of the reasons I'm no longer in the business (though I've gone back to school to get my masters/doctorate in journalism/mass media to teach young students who to write "objectively"). I don't like giving my opinions while I'm doing my job. I want to write straight news or analysis. I don't like sensational journalism.
Nevertheless, the times are changing, and I can't stop it. So I just roll with the flow and pine for the days of old. Sigh.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
The word "market" gets tossed around in ridiculous fashion when it comes to player contracts. The notion that the next QB contract should be higher than the last one is as absurd as suggesting one RB contract "resets the market".

Each player is unique. Each team is unique. There isn't a RB or QB store with a bunch clones on a shelf and you just pick one, pay a price, and reset the market for everyone else. That's nonsense.

There is a market for anything and everything that involves money.
I keep thinking they have a plan up there sleeve. Maybe some other RB in the works that may not be as good as Elliot but someone that will be better than gambling on Pollard.

All they need is a decent veteran with experience to team with Pollard. There will be RBs available who fit the bill after teams make their final cuts. I hope that it the plan.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
What would Zeke make in guaranteed money if he played out his contract and took the franchise tag? Maybe $25–30 million depending on what the tag is. Heck. Give him $50 million if he can report tomorrow and is in game ready shape. If not he has to take what was offered which probably isn’t far off from $50 million. See how serious he has been in Cabo.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Yes, your point is true. But the previous poster presented an impossible scenario where Zeke was on the open market. Even with the years left on his deal, if he refuses to play then you can only give him what he wants or trade him.
True and if you do trade him I hope we fair market value or a good one. If not I would just hold on to him.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
FWIW, I prefer the term "traditional" journalist compared to "real" journalist.
Nothing stays the same. Everything changes, including words.
I can remember the days when sports journalists/reporters/commentators COULD NOT announce which teams they rooted for. Now, EVERYBODY is so eager and willing to declare their favorite team (Skip Bayless "My Dallas Cowboys" :rolleyes:), and this is ENCOURAGED by the higher ups.
I don't like it. But I (as I suspect DallasEast is) am more traditional in my approach to journalism (having been a reporter for more than 25 years). It's one of the reasons I'm no longer in the business (though I've gone back to school to get my masters/doctorate in journalism/mass media to teach young students who to write "objectively"). I don't like giving my opinions while I'm doing my job. I want to write straight news or analysis. I don't like sensational journalism.
Nevertheless, the times are changing, and I can't stop it. So I just roll with the flow and pine for the days of old. Sigh.
Just my opinion.

Change happens. Responsibility should not.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yep. Pull the offer and immediately trade for another RB to pair with Pollard and the message will be sent. Make him available for a trade but the compensation must be over the top or he just sits. If he doesn’t show up before week 1, levy all maximum fines possible, send him the dreaded five day letter, put him on whatever list is the worst for him, barr him from the facility, do whatever you can to make his decision backfire on him while you simply move forward.

Or, trade him for a first and change or two and sign Ajayi. That way, we have someone that can run with Pollard and Morris. Could be a good group.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No doubt, but how does negotiating to minimize Zeke's contract make Jerry greedy?
I'm using it in contrast to what people are saying about Zeke.
Remember, Jerry broke away from the league to create his own licensing agreements with companies. Is not that a sign of greediness?
I think the problem is we don't see owners as part of the team. We see players as part of the team. And if they disrupt the unity of the team and our favor team's chances of winning, we call them "greedy." But owners are greedy too, in a different kind of way. But they don't have to suit up. So we don't think of them as greedy or affecting the team in the same way.
And we can't get rid of them as easily as an owner can get rid of a player. Shrug.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I would tell Zeke the offer goes down a million per year every day until he is back to his original contract...and once it gets there they will not redo his deal. If he wants to play hardball....have at it. Players can be replaced.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Just my opinion.

wheres this guy in the videos SOURCE? I have BR and lost of push sports notifications come straight to phone real time..not one yet of zeke turning down this contract..to me hes talking about the first offer for Bell Money..

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Just my opinion.

I agree. But that's the strange thing about our freedoms. We have them … freedom to speak, freedom to assemble, etc. They're great when we act responsibly (though some would argue the definition of "responsibly"). But when we don't use them "responsibly" our democracy can be dangerous.

revospeed

Reaction score
Can I ask a question before answering? And we should conduct our mini-conversion without going into specifics of what could be defined as political material.

Query: Was Farrow's work relayed intertwined with personal opinion(s)?

I only ask for a yes or no answer because we cannot get into any discussion about the reference you posted that I am replying to.

Farrow has done op-eds. So has Clay Travis. Clay Travis has done objective pieces, as has Ronan Farrow. Just because you do opinion pieces doesn’t mean you can’t be an objective journalist also. Anderson Cooper has won many journalism awards despite also doing op-eds. They aren’t binary.

VACowboy

Reaction score
He can afford to miss the entire season.

The 2019 3.8 million base can be rolled into his new deal.
He can afford to miss the entire season but that's still a lot of money he doesn't have to keep up the superstar life he's been living. And maybe whatever he's hoping to achieve would be worth whatever "hardship" he has to go through to get it. I don't think he can assume the Joneses will make up his back pay if he sits the season.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
There is a market for anything and everything that involves money.

Of course there's a market for anything that involves money. :rolleyes:

But the way the word "market" is being used when it comes to football players is absurd. They're not houses, they're not cars, they're not shares of stock. They're unique individuals in unique situations.

To say Player A got X so every other player at his position just got capped by X - which is what's said about RBs - is nonsense. With QBs, what Player A got is treated as the floor - also nonsense.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wheres this guy in the videos SOURCE? I have BR and lost of push sports notifications come straight to phone real time..not one yet of zeke turning down this contract..to me hes talking about the first offer for Bell Money..
Travis could have a legitimate source, someone who has communicated accurate information to him. Or it may a legitimate source who has miscommunicated information. Who knows? The legitimacy of sources becomes more fluidic as time goes by.