Rush/White

kskboys

Reaction score
This. Agree 100% on how important it is for a young QB to get quality coaching. Dak hasn’t played well this year but that’s not all on him. And Goff is a great example of a young QB who got better with a HC that understood how to put him in positions to be his best. Garrett and Linehan seem to put Dak in positions to run their offense. Not running the offense in ways that cater to Dak’s strengths.

Dak Prescott is still just 25 years old. Most NFL QBs as young as Dak have the luxury of at least a few games to a year to learn how to play the position. His skill set is not, nor will it ever be Pat Mahomes arm strength or Jared Goff’s touch. But Dak has enough talent to play a lot better than he has the last 10-12 games.

Dak’s never been the same since the Atl game last year and he’s crying out for a coaching intervention that is clearly not going to come from the robot clapper who tells everybody to fight harder. Or the OC whose passing route trees are the easiest to cover in the league. Or the complete front office idiots named Jones who gave their 25 yo developing young QB the worst set of WRs and TEs in the league.

Dak deserves a lot of the criticism. He has certainly played poorly. But I’m amazed at how short the leash is on a guy that has shown flashes of brilliance. His playoff game performance against GB in 2016 was top shelf. Too many fans around here act like franchise QBs grow on trees or are available in droves in every draft.

Dak may not be the answer. But we don’t know that yet. We do however know that Mike White and Cooper Rush are not better and would be significantly worse.
Well done. Great analysis.

kskboys

Reaction score
Goff would have continued to look horrible if Fisher would have stayed. He was lucky he had a coach that identified his weaknesses, came up with a plan, put in a regimen for his off season development, knows how to teach, drilled him incessantly in OTAs, put him in a system that minimized his weakness and played to his strengths and upgraded every position. That team today looks nothing like the team he had around him his rookie season. Dak doesn't have Goff's physical tools, but Dak would be a much better QB if he had coaches and a FO that was as competent as the Rams.
Excellent post.

Mannix

Reaction score
I honestly hope that White is still here if and when we ever get decent receivers again....the college video I've seen on him is impressive.

kskboys

Reaction score
I honestly hope that White is still here if and when we ever get decent receivers again....the college video I've seen on him is impressive.
I like him too, but he really needs development, and we just don't develop players.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
This. Agree 100% on how important it is for a young QB to get quality coaching. Dak hasn’t played well this year but that’s not all on him. And Goff is a great example of a young QB who got better with a HC that understood how to put him in positions to be his best. Garrett and Linehan seem to put Dak in positions to run their offense. Not running the offense in ways that cater to Dak’s strengths.

Dak Prescott is still just 25 years old. Most NFL QBs as young as Dak have the luxury of at least a few games to a year to learn how to play the position. His skill set is not, nor will it ever be Pat Mahomes arm strength or Jared Goff’s touch. But Dak has enough talent to play a lot better than he has the last 10-12 games.

Dak’s never been the same since the Atl game last year and he’s crying out for a coaching intervention that is clearly not going to come from the robot clapper who tells everybody to fight harder. Or the OC whose passing route trees are the easiest to cover in the league. Or the complete front office idiots named Jones who gave their 25 yo developing young QB the worst set of WRs and TEs in the league.

Dak deserves a lot of the criticism. He has certainly played poorly. But I’m amazed at how short the leash is on a guy that has shown flashes of brilliance. His playoff game performance against GB in 2016 was top shelf. Too many fans around here act like franchise QBs grow on trees or are available in droves in every draft.

Dak may not be the answer. But we don’t know that yet. We do however know that Mike White and Cooper Rush are not better and would be significantly worse.

This is all fine and dandy but you need to help yourself too and going into his 3rd season Dak has yet to improve on his basic fundementals (footwork is a good example) You can't tell me that he hasn't had any coaching anywhere where someone hasn't tried to teach him those things

kskboys

Reaction score
This is all fine and dandy but you need to help yourself too and going into his 3rd season Dak has yet to improve on his basic fundementals (footwork is a good example) You can't tell me that he hasn't had any coaching anywhere where someone hasn't tried to teach him those things
It really looks like he hasn't.

Blackspider214

Reaction score

I guarantee you if Dak played with Reid, McVey, Pederson or other good coaches, he would look a lot better. Dak has zero support system with our terrible coaching staff. Kellen freaking Moore is his QBs coach for god sake. A guy Dak beat out in 2016 as a rookie. Young QBs need good coaching to develop and grow.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I guarantee you if Dak played with Reid, McVey, Pederson or other good coaches, he would look a lot better. Dak has zero support system with our terrible coaching staff. Kellen freaking Moore is his QBs coach for god sake. A guy Dak beat out in 2016 as a rookie. Young QBs need good coaching to develop and grow.

Or maybe he just doesn't have the talent you think he has

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
It really looks like he hasn't.

Sorry but i don't buy into that. You can say that JG system is outdated but to say that all the coaches he has had didn't teach him some basic footwork is ridiculous. Wade Wilson didn't know how to teach fundementals..c'mon, JG can't teach fundementals..c'mon

kskboys

Reaction score
Sorry but i don't buy into that. You can say that JG system is outdated but to say that all the coaches he has had didn't teach him some basic footwork is ridiculous. Wade Wilson didn't know how to teach fundementals..c'mon, JG can't teach fundementals..c'mon
Don't know. However, we simply are poor at developing players, and have been for some time. I don't know why, I only know what I observe.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

They should have have gotten a QB coach with experience teaching fundamentals and prior coaching experience. Goff had Chris Wienke his rookie year as his QB Coach, he had no prior coaching experience when Fisher hired him either and it showed. McVay is a hands on coach and was involved in properly teaching Goff, after an extensive off season program. McVay also brought on experienced QB Coaches to work with Goff, not a kid on his first coaching gig.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
They should have have gotten a QB coach with experience teaching fundamentals and prior coaching experience. Goff had Chris Wienke his rookie year as his QB Coach, he had no prior coaching experience when Fisher hired him either and it showed. McVay is a hands on coach and was involved in properly teaching Goff, after an extensive off season program. McVay also brought on experienced QB Coaches to work with Goff, not a kid on his first coaching gig.

And who exactly was Dak's QB coach his 1st 2 seasons? It wasn't Kellen Moore

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
if we started one of them this Sunday, would they throw for more then 1TD and 250 yards? In all honesty I think both of them do both of them. Before anyone says “Don’t you think coaches would know what they have” “and put them in if they were better” the answer is no! they wouldn’t I don’t trust this coaching staff or FO anymore.

Right but you apparently with all of what 15 minutes worth of footage can analyze and more importantly have the ability to look into alternate realities and determine what the outcome is going to be.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
And who exactly was Dak's QB coach his 1st 2 seasons? It wasn't Kellen Moore
Dak was obviously struggling at the end of the year last season, it was apparent to everyone. Why, after seeing this, would the FO, HC and OC not seek out an experienced QB Coach to help teach a young QB? Not even a vet backup QB to help mentor him. Garrett nor Linehan have a reputation as teachers, wouldn't you want someone that has experience in teaching the most important position on the team? Instead, we hired another coach that has no experience and is going to learn on the job. Maybe Dak wouldn't be any better, but they also didn't do their best to help him succeed.

I have zero faith in this staff or FO if we drafted a blue chip QB. We gave this QB no teacher or even vet backup QB to learn from and then gave him average to below average talent at WR/TE. Dak may not have the ability, but it's also a situation I don't want any Cowboys QB to be in again. This is not a plan for success with any young QB, regardless of talent. Most may take this as defending Dak, it's not. I'm questioning the whole approach from the FO and staff.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Dak was obviously struggling at the end of the year last season, it was apparent to everyone. Why, after seeing this, would the FO, HC and OC not seek out an experienced QB Coach to help teach a young QB? Not even a vet backup QB to help mentor him. Garrett nor Linehan have a reputation as teachers, wouldn't you want someone that has experience in teaching the most important position on the team? Instead, we hired another coach that has no experience and is going to learn on the job. Maybe Dak wouldn't be any better, but they also didn't do their best to help him succeed.

I have zero faith in this staff or FO if we drafted a blue chip QB. We gave this QB no teacher or even vet backup QB to learn from and then gave him average to below average talent at WR/TE. Dak may not have the ability, but it's also a situation I don't want any Cowboys QB to be in again. This is not a plan for success with any young QB, regardless of talent. Most may take this as defending Dak, it's not. I'm questioning the whole approach from the FO and staff.

So who was his QB coach his 1st 2 seasons? I'll ask you again, he wasn't some rookie coach and i'm sure he worked with Dak on alot of things. Some guys have talent and some guys don't

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So who was his QB coach his 1st 2 seasons? I'll ask you again, he wasn't some rookie coach and i'm sure he worked with Dak on alot of things. Some guys have talent and some guys don't
Wade Wilson was his coach and while not great he at least had experience in teaching and substantial game experience. Kellen has zero, Why don't you talk about the bad situation they put a young, struggling QB in? Do you really believe the situation this year is conducive to helping a young QB? If this was a blue chip QB is this the coaches and talent you want around him? If we put in another young QB in this situation, they may be a little better, but it's never going to have them reach their full potential. You sound like Garrett, saying, just "Do Better" than teaching them how to become better. There's a reason this team has only been to a couple playoff games in the last decade and it has less to do with the QBs than it does the FO and HC.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Wade Wilson was his coach and while not great he at least had experience in teaching and substantial game experience. Kellen has zero, Why don't you talk about the bad situation they put a young, struggling QB in? Do you really believe the situation this year is conducive to helping a young QB? If this was a blue chip QB is this the coaches and talent you want around him? If we put in another young QB in this situation, they may be a little better, but it's never going to have them reach their full potential. You sound like Garrett, saying, just "Do Better" than teaching them how to become better. There's a reason this team has only been to a couple playoff games in the last decade and it has less to do with the QBs than it does the FO and HC.

That is my entire point. Dak had a decent coach for at least 2 years, yet his fundamentals didn't really get any better. At some point some of that has to be on the player not just the coach