Russell Wilson 4 yr extension $140 million

Sydla

Reaction score
Ok so then if you are the Lions, Vikkngs or Cowboys who are you signing that is going to improve your team after you let your QB walk over a couple of million?

Doesn’t the backup for the bears make $10M per year? Nick Foles is getting 22M.

It’s time to accept that your solid starting QB is going to eat up a large portion of your salary cap and move on.

$24M, $28M, $30?

The difference isn’t so much that you dump your QB and start over with trying to find a replacement when you have a team talented enough to compete today.

For the Cowboys, simple.

Let Dak play under his current deal this year. Assess his improvement. If he does well, you attempt to sign him long term. If he doesn't, you save yourself from entering a bad long term contract with an average QB and then you can tag him for a year (yes, I get that it's going to be a big number for one year) and begin plans for landing your next QB.

People are so afraid of not having a franchise QB that they are hell bent on locking onto Dak at a huge contract without really knowing for sure he's going to be that top of the heap type QB worth the money.

Just because teams were stupid like Miami with Tannehill and Jacksonville with Bortles doesn't mean we need to go down that same path.

dckid

Reaction score

Add a SB to this list and two NFC Championship wins. With the worst oline in the league and Doug Baldwin as his best weapon.

Meanwhile the scrub here needs us to have an all world back and top 15 receiver to look even semi decent :lmao2:

Thank you for explaining why Russel Wilson is worth the money.

Sydla

Reaction score
Barring lots of key injuries, we'll see how good Dak is. It appears Frederick will be back, which would let Looney go to LG if Williams struggles again, so the line should be back up to snuff. Cooper and Gallup with a full off season to work with Dak. Witten back to provide Dak with the security blanket all quarterbacks can use. Cobb on board, an experienced, proven good receiver.

Of course, Moore is an unknown, but at least he'll have a fresh approach. Assuming the play calling will be better.

In the above cases, no excuses for the offense to not be top 10. Should have a top-10 defense as well, assuming Lawrence returns to form after the surgery and even if he doesn't, Quinn is no slouch at DE. Iloka may improve the safety play.

If Dak can't make strides this year, then we'll know for sure he's topped out at quarterback or not...

And this post is exactly why we should let Dak play out his rookie contract and then make contract decisions after the 2019 season.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
IDC what the MARKET says you still have to be in the area code talent and production wise and as much as I like Dak and wish him success here for many years hes not in the same zip[ code as tier 1 elite guys pay scale..this has zero effect on Daks contract unless its a FT deal..

Good point, but since salaries only go up, as far as the top salary goes, if you "lock in" Dak for $30 mil now, and he does get the team to SB(s), then he's a bargain, because in the next few years he would be "worth" a lot more, and you would have money to pay other top players. Of course if he doesn't get the team to the top, then he's overpaid.

Really it comes down to how you want to build a team - go for the elite quarterback that can make do with lesser talent around him, or build a more complete team that doesn't need the elite quarterback..

Sydla

Reaction score
Thank you for explaining why Russel Wilson is worth the money.

I have always felt Russell Wilson is grossly underrated as a player by many. What he has accomplished in Seattle, often with an inferior offensive cast, is pretty impressive. Sure he's had Marshawn Lynch and a couple of decent skill guys but he's often played with a blah OL, a hodge podge of WRs and some less than awesome TEs other than Jimmy Graham.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
I wouldn't take him over Wilson at this point. I hope after this season I'll feel differently about that, which is why I wait to pay him.

If he plays on Wilson's level, then he's worth (at least marketwise) a contract similar to Wilson. Even if he doesn't play on that level, then I'm not sure I want to pay him just slightly less than Wilson instead of looking for someone at least on Wilson's level of play.

Wilson doesn't bring anything Dak can't do. Dak plays his best in the 4th & overtime. He's got Witten back for the safety net, but I think the other 2 young TE's will keep improving, & he is getting on page with them. He's got TE options, deep wr group options with speed, Zeke another receiving threat plus bringing in the defense accounting for the run game behind hopefully the dominate OL.

I like Dak's fire & overall growth to get better over Wilson.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Wilson doesn't bring anything Dak can't do. Dak plays his best in the 4th & overtime. He's got Witten back for the safety net, but I think the other 2 young TE's will keep improving, & he is getting on page with them. He's got TE options, deep wr group options with speed, Zeke another receiving threat plus bringing in the defense accounting for the run game behind hopefully the dominate OL.

:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

Sydla

Reaction score

Wilson has proven he can win a SB. Dak has not. Wilson has succeeded where he hasn't had a great supporting cast around him, Dak has struggled when his OL was shaky, didn't have Zeke, no #1 WR, etc.

There is no comparison. I respect that people like Dak but to try to argue he's better or going to be better than Wilson is either just wishful thinking or disrespectful to how good Wilson has been.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And this post is exactly why we should let Dak play out his rookie contract and then make contract decisions after the 2019 season.

Well let's say Dak will accept $30 mil a year average, but the Cowboys won't pay it. So if he wins a SB this year, think there won't be at least a couple of teams that will offer him more than $30 mil? Now you can't probably get him for $30 mil, so you just screwed yourself.

Look, I'm not saying he should or shouldn't get $30 mil, just noting that $30 mil now won't be "top dollar" in a couple of years....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

I see your point, but if he wins a SB or even does markedly better than before, he's going to likely cost more next year than you can sign him for this year.

Of course if he doesn't do better, or does worse, then you can probably get him for less than what he wants now.

That's the unknown...

Supercowboy1986

Reaction score
Wilson has also choked/lost a Super Bowl by throwing a INT on the 1 yard line with 25 seconds to go.

People conveniently forget that.

Wilson has proven he can win a SB. Dak has not. Wilson has succeeded where he hasn't had a great supporting cast around him, Dak has struggled when his OL was shaky, didn't have Zeke, no #1 WR, etc.

There is no comparison. I respect that people like Dak but to try to argue he's better or going to be better than Wilson is either just wishful thinking or disrespectful to how good Wilson has been.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Wilson has had a 100-plus QB rating in four of his seven seasons. He had a career-high 110.9 rating this pass season, throwing 35 TD passes to 7 ints. He's had two seasons with more than 4,000 yards passing. And only once in his seven years has he had a QB rating lower than 95, with a 92.

Prescott had an 86.6 rating in his second year. He's had a 100-plus rating only his rookie year. He's never thrown more than 22 TD passes. He's never thrown for 4,000 yards. His 96.9 rating last year was good (especially after a shaky start), but again, Wilson is coming off a 110.9.

All those factors for Wilson are the reason the Seahawks gave him this contract. Dak may ultimately be the better player, but I don't think we can realistically say at this point that "Wilson doesn't bring anything Dak can't do." There are several things Wilson has accomplished that Dak hasn't shown he can do yet.

blueblood70

Reaction score

what are you smoking RW deep ball is twice as accurate and smooth, he throws many more TDs, and his TD to INT ratio is top 10 all time , QB rating top 5 Alltime.. RW has proved himself twice over now.. yes he grew into it but Dak isnt anywhere in RW league right now..hes just better passer..sure game is similar as is their physical makeup etc but RW is now elite, Dak has long way to go..

Sydla

Reaction score
Well let's say Dak will accept $30 mil a year average, but the Cowboys won't pay it. So if he wins a SB this year, think there won't be at least a couple of teams that will offer him more than $30 mil? Now you can't probably get him for $30 mil, so you just screwed yourself.

Look, I'm not saying he should or shouldn't get $30 mil, just noting that $30 mil now won't be "top dollar" in a couple of years....

Cowboys can tag him and if a team wants him, they will have to give up two first rounders to get him AND then pay him a huge contract. That's likely not to happen.

Again, people have to stop with this logic that it's OK to pay him Top 3 money now because in a few years it won't be Top 3. That's how you end up with bad contracts.

conner01

Reaction score
Agreed, though an incomplete team with an elite quarterback and a team with everything but an elite quarterback can, and have, both won SBs...
There have been less than avg QB’s win but I think it’s getting harder with today’s passing game. I don’t think you have to have a elite QB but if you don’t you need a complete team and good defense
And sometimes it just comes down to matchups

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Cowboys can tag him and if a team wants him, they will have to give up two first rounders to get him AND then pay him a huge contract. That's likely not to happen.

Again, people have to stop with this logic that it's OK to pay him Top 3 money now because in a few years it won't be Top 3. That's how you end up with bad contracts.

Tagging him just "kicks the can down the road" for a year, or two, and few if any players are happy to get tagged, now you've got a quarterback who's not going to be focused as he should be due to his unhappiness.

Again, just pointing out scenarios, I really think it's a crap shoot either way. Back in the 80's I took out a variable rate mortgage, the note started at about $460 a month, it could have gone up to nearly $800, but fortunately for me it went down in the ensuing years to the floor. Could have gone either way, I was lucky.

Hopefully whatever the Cowboys do they'll get lucky....